Author Topic: Middletown - Glad to be here  (Read 3432 times)

Blue Henz

Middletown - Glad to be here
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:23:37 PM »
Thought I would join the forum to stay informed on anything and everthing related to Delaware CCDW.  Unfortunately, the process is a pain in the arse and not that well defined (thank you for this website as it's been very helpful).  The AG's website is not helpful and seems to want to make things difficult for those who choose not to become a victim.  I originally got a permit in Texas while on Active Duty; Texans know how to do it right.  Unfortunately, reciprocity only goes so far.  Regards, Dave.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Middletown - Glad to be here
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
Welcome BlueHenz.
I'm just north of Middletown. DE may be a pain in the arse, but as left wing as it is, I'm happy I can GET a permit, even if it takes five months. Apologies to the left wingers......
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »
Welcome, Blue Henz.

Actually, the process is pretty well defined and the steps are laid out for you -- should you decide to pursue your permit here in DE.  The AG's office isn't responsible for "laying out" the process.  They provide the information regarding reciprocity and their investigators perform the background check when you apply. 

The process is simple (in my opinion) and there are lots of details provided here on this site.  If you have any questions, please ask! There are plenty of folks here to help answer your questions and guide you in the right direction. 

Welcome to the site! We look forward to your contributions.  Thanks for your service to our country,

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Blue Henz

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:32:36 AM »
Moosie, with all due respect, and I'm a life-long Delawarean with 25 years in the Air Force, getting a CCDW compared to the online process in Texas, I'm of the opinion that things could be a lot clearer, easier, user friendly and cheaper.  It took me 15 minutes to complete the online paperwork with Texas DPS, a no wait scheduled appt with an outside finger-printing agency, and $95.00 for the class/shooting course.  Texas also waived the application fee because I'm military.

This might be comparing apple to oranges, and I'm thankful for the right to carry, but Delaware, regardless if it's the AGs office, DSP, or whoever, it's just not that easy or efficient.  There should be a Delaware ONE stop shop for the ccdw process, owned by the state.  Citizens shouldn't have to rely on private citizens to get information on the process.  I think Texas spoiled me.  But, good to be home in the land of crabs, scrapple, good subs, and of course, family and friends.  Thanks for the dialogue.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:49 AM »
I agree with Moosie that the instructions that came with the application (from the DE Judiciary's site, not the AG) were clear and easy to follow. I'm not a lawyer, and I managed it before I found this helpful site.
Sure, it's a twelve-step program -- do this, then do that, then do seven other things the same week -- but following the steps generally works. The one part of the instructions that I (and others) didn't follow was that I took the training before I applied, and submitted the training certificate with my application.

I also agree with Blue Henz that the process should be easier, quicker, and should have a guaranteed "shall issue" outcome. However, last time they tried to reform the law, so many anti-gun amendments were hung on the bill that its sponsors walked away in disgust.
If it had passed with the amendments, I think I would have moved across the PA line.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Blue Henz

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:05:12 AM »
@ oldgraygeek, I have to laugh ... while watching Starsky and Hutch and surfing the Internet, I see I actually started the process (online search which led me to the AG) on the wrong foot.  I googled Delaware CCDW again and I found the checklist on the second page.  I'll meet you and Moosie halfway on this.  I still think it could be easier and online with a one-stop-shop website managed by whomever but it was laid out online.  Again, I think I was spoiled by Texas DPS which was pretty easy.
Be Safe.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:27 PM »
Hi Blue Henz!

While I too agree that the process could be much more simple, I still feel that the instructions are pretty straight forward. Plus, SigArms graciously detailed the process here: http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=7.0 The biggest thing to be aware of is the time line for the various aspects of the process.  Your fingerprints must have been taken within 30 days of your official application date, but your newspaper ad must have been run at least 10 days before filing.

That being said, unfortunately, Delaware is a MAY issue state which means you have to jump through a lot more hoops, wait a hell of a long time, etc.  I believe that Texas is a shall issue state -- which simplifies a LOT of things for the application process.  Yes, Delaware's process needs a lot of help just to speed things up if nothing else.  However, being a may issue state I feel will always hold the process up more than any state that is a shall issue state. 

I'm glad you're applying! :)  Please let us know if there's anything you need us to help you with as that's part of why we're all here!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
Welcome Blue Henz. Sooooo whoes your favorite college football team  :D. Im glad you joined and yes De can be a bit more involved than other states , but if you follow the dirrections everything mooooooves along and you can get your permit as long as theres nothing wrong. Good luck!