Author Topic: CCDW show police.  (Read 7402 times)

Overheaddoor

CCDW show police.
« on: September 13, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
Looking for a law that states you MUST show a officer your conceal carry card at any traffic stop. I know that it may be a great idea but is their a law?

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: CCDW show police.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
Each state has their own laws. Delaware does not require you to notify the Leo. Although alot of people think it's a good ideal to notify . You should check each state that you travel in and check the laws before you travel through them.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »
www.handgunlaws/us   I believe this is the web site , it has alot of good info for you to answer your question.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:50 PM »
Overhead,

As Muleman pointed out, there is no law or requirement to automatically notify law enforcement that you're carrying concealed in Delaware -- including on traffic stops.  However, if a law enforcement officer asks if you are, then yes... you'd better be flapping those gums telling them exactly where it is, or where they are.

If I don't have to go anywhere near my firearm to obtain my license, registration, etc. chances are, I'm not mentioning it.  If I think there is even a remote possibility that the officer will see my firearm, or if I have to go anywhere close to it, then I've got both hands on the streering wheel, and my lips are moving -- not my hands. 

Of course all the usual caveats apply here...  I'm not a lawyer, blah blah blah. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

czer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:20:31 AM »
That's my theory. If there is a chance the LEO will be able to tell I am carrying, I will let him/her know as soon as the situation arrives. For instance, if I am asked to get out of the car and I am carrying. But if it is a simple stop and I stay seated the whole time, while I get ticketed for speeding, then I don't see the need.

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »
When the officer runs your information does the computer show a CCW permit or do they have to dig to see it?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »
JoeK,

The officer who runs your license doesn't have any info on whether or not you have a concealed carry permit. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
Concealed means it is concealed, if it is done right then the LEO will not see it. I would not inform unless the LEO tells me to get out of the car.  At that point you inform him you have a permit for concealed carry and that you have the firearm on your person.  Ask him what he wants you to do.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:22:27 PM »
and state it exactly as Hawkeye has, "I have a permit for concealed carry". Always better to not use the G U N word.
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »
I've only had one traffic stop since I got my first carry permits.
I handed the PA state trooper my LTCF before my driver's license, even though neither PA nor DE requires notification. He seemed to appreciate the gesture, which was made purely for self-preservation: as a Wilmington officer told me flat out, "If your gun surprises me, I'll probably blow your #^$%@ head off." Other law enforcement officers I know have expressed similar sentiments, albeit not as elegantly phrased.

My hands never left the officer's sight: even when he was back in his car printing my ticket, they were glued to the top of the steering wheel.
I was treated respectfully, my gun was not taken even for a moment. The ticket was about $150 cheaper than it should have been, considering my actual speed.

Being an extremely polite clean-cut older white guy in a Ford Police Interceptor does have its advantages, I suppose...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:20:07 PM »
my own personal preference for being stopped while carrying:

as soon as I know I'm pulling over, window goes down.  when the officer gets to my window, hands are already on top of my steering wheel, fingers open, and I say I have a firearm and a permit.  (they dont hear concealed carry anyway).  I then let them tell me or ask me whatever. 

Never had a problem. 

Moosie

anjdrifter

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »
as retired LEO I always keep my hands in very clear view  usually on steering wheel and notify wether I have to or not.. LEOs hate surprises trust me on that.
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor