Author Topic: New PA permit today...really...that's it?  (Read 9628 times)

colt0208

New PA permit today...really...that's it?
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
so I saw another post (thanks Ellington  ;D) that you can walk in and walk out with a permit in Lancaster co. Sure enough, I call and the guy confirms. So I drive up to Lancaster, fully expecting for there to be some hitch or hidden agenda, and head in to the Sheriffs office. Staff were extremely nice and helpful, filled out the required application and sat down. Literally 10 minutes later the gentleman gets a phone call (which I assume was my background check) and waves me over to get a picture taken. He fills out my information on the pc, prints the license, and I am out the door. Total cost was 20.00 and about 20 minutes time. Its like they had an "Easy" button on the counter. Way to go PA.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: New PA permit today...really...that's it?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:14:58 PM »
Simply amazing that it's really that simple isn't it?! LOL 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

colt0208

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »

Moosie

It was crazy. For a moment I was in a alternate dream world where everything I wanted was at my fingertips. Then I hit the Delaware line and was smashed with reality again...... :P

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:40:27 AM »
LOL!  Someday we can all experience the dream of having the DE application process be smooth and quick like PA! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

NormH3

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »

Moosie

It was crazy. For a moment I was in a alternate dream world where everything I wanted was at my fingertips. Then I hit the Delaware line and was smashed with reality again...... :P

Perhaps it isn't as bad as you think. You could live in either Maryland or New Jersy. Of the 3...you are in the best state.

colt0208

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »

Moosie

Perhaps it isn't as bad as you think. You could live in either Maryland or New Jersy. Of the 3...you are in the best state.

I hear ya, was just showing the difference between a 4-500 dollar, 3-6 month process, and a 20 minute/20 dollar process... You would not catch me living in a commie state like jersey or maryland...I like my guns ;D

mrjam2jab

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
Isn't PA great.   ;D
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:22:55 PM »
But we are comparing Delaware's resident license vs. Pennsylvania's non resident. Is PA's resident license also a 20min/20dollar procedure?
New Castle County

mrjam2jab

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:56:12 PM »
But we are comparing Delaware's resident license vs. Pennsylvania's non resident. Is PA's resident license also a 20min/20dollar procedure?

Depends on the county.  They are all $20...but a few counties like to stretch out that "45 days" as much as they can. 

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »
My son applied in Philly in mid-August. He says they put him through a "hellish" interrogation (he was with 3-7 Cavalry driving a tank to Baghdad in March 2003, so what he considers "hellish" must be pretty darn awful), and he is still waiting for the permit.

I look forward to taking a walk with him on South Street later this month.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

colt0208

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »

there was a guy there who was a pa resident, filling out his initial application and it was 20.00. He did have to provide proof of training I believe. There was also another woman behind me who was renewing, it was 20.00 also and she was in for pictures right after me. So I imagine the process for pa residents is fairly easy per se.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 12:59:33 AM »
If anything, the non-resident process in any state should be harder than for residents, if only because a resident has a local address and (usually) a driver's license.
It makes me angry that my boy, an Iraq War vet, should have a harder time getting his permit in Philly than I did getting mine from Centre County by mail.

Maybe when (or if) the NRA gets done suing Illinois, they can go after Philadelphia County... or maybe they should tackle Maryland and NJ first. >:(
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
I believe it easier for an out of state person because they have already been through the background checks and that saves them time .

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
If anything, the non-resident process in any state should be harder than for residents, ...

Why?!?  Hopefully the home state did the majority of the leg work in checking out our backgrounds.
Personally I think my local permit should be honored in all 50 just like my drivers license (HR822).

And thank you to your son and all of the other posters here who served to keep us safe.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »

It makes me angry that my boy, an Iraq War vet, should have a harder time getting his permit in Philly than I did getting mine from Centre County by mail.

that's not a Resident/non-res issue....that is a Philadelphia issue.  Phila is notorious for making it difficult to obtain a license.