Author Topic: New PA permit today...really...that's it?  (Read 9627 times)

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: New PA permit today...really...that's it?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
Not really a plus, but DE treats everyone the same...........pay lots and wait long, 4 months for mine.  In PA, it depends on where you go how difficult it is.  Delaware Co. in Media was very polite to me and the process was very quick, by DE standards.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »
I am pleased to report that I had a similar experience in Lancaster, today. About 15 minutes from start to finish, including the "P.I.C.S." check, the DE permit verification and the photograph.  ;D      I am inclined to agree with the previously expressed opinion that we are, as non-residents, "pre-screened" and this speeds the process, substantially.
      If my reading is correct, PA has instituted, effective May 2011, a uniform format for LTCF permits, a uniform process for all counties and uniform fees.
There are, still, those jurisdictions which interpret this law differently than intended by the PA legislature, Philadelphia among them. Applying by mail is no longer an option. All permits are laminated and include your picture. Permits in the old format will be honored until expiration (for you folks with those enormous
Centre County pieces of paper). All renewals will be in the new format. This is the intent of the PA legislature.  In practice, there is still considerable variety in how each county exercises these procedures. Most require two visits. Many impose additional, county specific forms.
       The Sheriff's Deputy who processed my LTCF did mention, in response to my query, that some counties may balk at renewing a Lancaster (or other) originated LTCF and he mentioned Centre County by name.  One could speculate that he may have been "encouraging" me to return to Lancaster to assure their revenue stream, or there may be a legitimate issue with going to another county. I don't know. Considering the ease of getting my permit there, I have no qualms about returning to Lancaster in 2016 for my renewal.
              Regards !
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

ellington

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 11:56:05 PM »
I'm glad I've offered something of value to the forum!!! My girl just got her De permit. Time to drag her up to Lancaster!!! I actually work up here. You'd be surprised at how nice the city is.
"Don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang. Don't even bang unless you plan to hit something." Andre 3000

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
Glad to hear Lancaster is so easy
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Ginn

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
Quick question: I'm waiting on my DE card to be issued. I work in public safety here in DE. Do I have to wait for my DE card to come in before getting an out of state card for PA or can I do that before my DE card comes in?

Thanks!

colt0208

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »
They took copies of my DE permit, and used my permit # on the application, so I would venture to say you need your Delaware before you can get your Pa..

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
Yup. You have to wait for your DE permit to be approved and in hand before you can get your PA license.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Overheaddoor

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:14 AM »
They sent back my application because of the new law. You have to file in person. That is messed up but it's the law

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »
Overhead, this has been the law since March. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident