Author Topic: Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009  (Read 7175 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
1/6/2009--Introduced.
Citizens' Self-Defense Act of 2009 - Declares that a person not prohibited under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act from receiving a firearm shall have the right to obtain firearms for security and to use firearms in defense of: (1) self or family against a reasonably perceived threat of imminent and unlawful infliction of serious bodily injury; (2) self or family in the course of the commission by another person of a violent felony against the person or a member of the person's family; and (3) the person's home in the course of the commission of a felony by another person.
Authorizes persons whose rights under this Act have been violated to bring an action in U.S. district court against the United States, any state, or any person for damages, injunctive relief, and such other relief as the court deems appropriate.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-17

Here is a quote from the full text. This is interesting info:

(2) Citizens frequently must use firearms to defend themselves, as evidenced by the following:

(A) Every year, more than 2,400,000 people in the United States use a gun to defend themselves against criminals--or more than 6,500 people a day. This means that, each year, firearms are used 60 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.

(B) Of the 2,400,000 self-defense cases, more than 192,000 are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse.

(C) Of the 2,400,000 times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, 92 percent merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8 percent of the time, does a citizen kill or wound his or her attacker.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:59:26 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:39:14 PM »
Too bad it'll probably die in the sub committe
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Citizen's Self-Defense Act of 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »
interesting, I'm gonna have to keep checking on it. But I think your right it won't make it out of sub committee
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.