Author Topic: State Parks  (Read 30830 times)

GLOCK23

State Parks
« on: March 05, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »
hello guys i read sometime ago that state parks are off limits to carry your gun am i right? thanks

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: State Parks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:20:07 PM »
Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES St. Park Rules & Regs Per DE AG
State/National Forests: NO State Forest Regs 3.400.8.0
WMA’s: NO Div. Fish/Wildlife Regs 8.4.3.1
Road Side Rest Areas: YES
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
So I called the State Park Service today to find out about concealed carry in a State Park and was told by one of the Senior Park Rangers that it is not allowed because pistols are rifled firearms and they are not allowed. He even went on to state that only law enforcement is allowed to carry on State Park land. I have since sent a email to handgunlaws.us advising them of this since they have State Parks listed as ok to carry. I have also emailed the AG's office asking for their take on concealed carry in State Parks. If this is the case and we can not carry in state parks what does everybody think about emailing our reps and asking them to sponsor a bill to make it legal to CCW in State Parks?

Hawkeye you seem to put together very professional letters would you be willing to post some type of form letter people could send their representative?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:30:53 PM by SigP250 »

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:05 AM »
So I called the State Park Service today to find out about concealed carry in a State Park and was told by one of the Senior Park Rangers that it is not allowed because pistols are rifled firearms and they are not allowed. He even went on to state that only law enforcement is allowed to carry on State Park land. I have since sent a email to handgunlaws.us advising them of this since they have State Parks listed as ok to carry. I have also emailed the AG's office asking for their take on concealed carry in State Parks. If this is the case and we can not carry in state parks what does everybody think about emailing our reps and asking them to sponsor a bill to make it legal to CCW in State Parks?

Hawkeye you seem to put together very professional letters would you be willing to post some type of form letter people could send their representative?

I'm on it.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:25:07 AM »
If this is the case and we can not carry in state parks what does everybody think about emailing our reps and asking them to sponsor a bill to make it legal to CCW in State Parks?

I have put something together that I am gong to send to my state senator.  Feel free to copy and edit this as you see fit. 

Sir,
     I am writing in regards to concealed carry weapons not being allowed in state parks in Delaware.  I believe that it is unfair to hand gun owners, who already are licensed by the state, to have a patchwork of gun laws that put them at risk of criminal conviction for walking in a state park.  Just so that you will know, for the average citizen to obtain a concealed carry permit, he or she must: Have no felony convictions; have never been convicted of domestic violence; have no history of mental illness; have passed a background check and have fingerprints on file with the authorities; and have passed mandatory training both in the use of a firearm and the applicable law. 
     State parks are not crime free.  Park visitors are increasingly vulnerable to violent crimes.  To restrict the ability of a person, who has proven to be a law abiding, responsible citizen, from protecting him or herself or their family simply because of the ground they are standing on is placing them in a position of unreasonable and unnecessary risk.  There is no such thing as a “gun free zone” or a “safe zone.”  Only those that already obey the law will adhere to those restrictions.
     The 2nd Amendment guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms.  I understand that this comes with limitations.  This should not be one of them.  As a concerned citizen of Delaware I am requesting that you do the right thing and sponsor a bill that would right this wrong.  Thank you.

Respectfully,

Your state senator can be found here:
http://legis.delaware.gov/Legislature.nsf/sen?openview&nav=senate

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »
Here is a complete list of State Senators

Senator Thurman Adams Jr. (D-19)

(302) 744-4286

Thurman.Adams@state.de.us

Senator Patricia M. Blevins (D-7)

(302) 744-4133

Patricia.Blevins@state.de.us

Senator Colin R. J. Bonini (R-16)

(302) 744-4169

senator-colin@prodigy.net

Senator George H. Bunting Jr. (D-20)

(302) 744-4286

George.Bunting@state.de.us

Senator Brian J. Bushweller (D-17)

(302) 744-4162

brian.bushweller@state.de.us

Senator Catherine L. Cloutier (R-5)

(302) 744-4197

catherine.cloutier@state.de.us

Senator Dori Connor (R-12)

(302) 744-4164

Dorinda.Connor@state.de.us

Senator Nancy W. Cook (D-15)

(302) 744-4237

nancy.cook@state.de.us    

Senator Anthony J. DeLuca (D-11)

(302) 744-4165

Anthony.DeLuca@state.de.us

Senator Bruce C. Ennis (D-14)

(302) 744-4310

bruce.ennis@state.de.us

Senator Bethany A. Hall-Long (D-10)

(302) 744-4286

bethany.hall-long@state.de.us

Senator Margaret Rose Henry (D-2)

(302) 744-4191

MargaretRose.Henry@state.de.us

Senator Michael S. Katz (D-4)

(302) 744-4286

michael.katz@state.de.us

Senator Robert I. Marshall (D-3)

(302) 744-4168

robert.marshall@state.de.us

Senator David B. McBride (D-13)

(302) 744-4167

David.McBride@state.de.us

Senator Harris B. McDowell III (D-1)

(302) 744-4147

Harris.McDowell@state.de.us

Senator Karen E. Peterson (D-9)

(302) 744-4163

Karen.Peterson@state.de.us

Senator F. Gary Simpson (R-18)

(302) 744-4134

gsimpson@udel.edu

Senator David P. Sokola (D-8)

(302) 744-4139

David.Sokola@state.de.us;

Senator Liane M. Sorenson (R-6)

(302) 744-4136

Liane.Sorenson@state.de.us

Senator Robert L. Venables Sr. (D-21)

(302) 744-4298

Robert.Venables@state.de.us
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:49:16 PM by Moosie »

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:27:14 PM »
Hey. I just noticed that I am not a "Newbie" anymore. Yipee! ;D

Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:16:09 PM »
Here is the vague reply from the AG's office in regards to CC in parks.

Delaware law prohibits the carrying of a concealed deadly weapon in the following places:
- any building, structure, athletic field, sports stadium or real property owned or operated by any public or private   school, college or university.
- any publicly or privately owned or operated athletic field, sports stadium or recreation center.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:30:18 AM »
So the AG's office just sent you a jumble of words.
Gun control is hitting your target

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
Heres the Final say on state Parks "You can NOT carry at State Parks" Per this email
MR. **********

Under Section 24 (Hunting, Fishing  and Wildlife Management)of the Division of Parks and Recreation’s Rules and Regulations, 24.3 states:

“It shall be unlawful to display, possess or discharge firearms of any description, air rifles, B.B. guns, sling shots or archery equipment upon any lands administered by the Division, except by those persons lawfully hunting in those areas specifically designated for hunting by the Division, or except with prior written approval of the Director.”

You can visit the Division of Parks and Recreations website at www.desparks.com for the Rules and Regulations.

Wayne Kline

Chief of Enforcement

Delaware State Parks

(302)739-9220

Thlax

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »
Why is this. When im alone hiking in white clay creek thats when i ESPECIALLY want to carry....

Rabbit

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:55:41 AM »
Here is the vague reply from the AG's office in regards to CC in parks.

Delaware law prohibits the carrying of a concealed deadly weapon in the following places:
- any building, structure, athletic field, sports stadium or real property owned or operated by any public or private   school, college or university.
- any publicly or privately owned or operated athletic field, sports stadium or recreation center.

That looks likes who ever you talked to from the AGs office just quoted or copy and pasted a few sentences from Title 11 Chapter 5 Section 1457 of the DE code. by looking back at this old thread
http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=132.0
a few peopled questioned as to weather or not that portion of the law applies to people with CCWs.

Whenever we seek guidance from the DOJ/AGs office it might be prudent to ask them to reference/cite the applicable portion of the DE code, so if you/we think an error was made in the interpretation of the law everyone will be on the same page, when someone seeks clarification.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
Rabbit its NOT state law its DENREC Rules and Regs that restrict carry.

Rabbit

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 04:57:08 AM »
Got it its a DENREC reg, I was referencing to the response from the AG's office that may or may not not even apply to an individual who posses a CC permit.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
The AG's office gives the same answer for cc to every question asked it seems like.