Author Topic: Need a little advice...  (Read 5784 times)

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
Need a little advice...
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
Hi all, I'm going on a Church-sponsered trip to Indiana soon- going on a bus with a bunch of teens, a priest, and some parents for 4 days. I'm torn about carrying and would value your thoughts on the subject. If I do carry, it'll be unloaded in a suitcase under the bus- maybe even locked in a case in there?- ammo separate- going through MD, and PA and all. Then, likely in a backpack or IWB while in Indiana. Part of the problem is that it is a Church trip- and you really aren't supposed to carry in Churches. Indiana accepts my permit, but what about the venue? I don't want to be without it, but I'm torn.  :-\

What would you do? Thanks, Pete D.---
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Need a little advice...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:20:11 PM »
Pete, who says you're not supposed to carry in churches??  If I went to church (relax, you guys would all hear about the church bursting into flames if I did), you're darn tootin I'd be carrying. 

Perhaps you have missed the headlines over the past few years (and months) where some nut job walks in and decides to play God that day and starts shooting. 

If you feel that you could carry concealed without anyone knowing and if they did find out, you wouldn't be burned at the stake, take it. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

mrjam2jab

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
Indiana does NOT prohibit carry in churches. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

DeWriter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:58:50 PM »
Well, as we all know, there is absolutely no need to carry a gun every day ... only those days when you know you will be attacked. So, if the church guarantees you won’t be attacked by man or beast, and you trust that, by all means leave your insurance at home.  ::)

NOT!!   

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
I would 100% be carrying. Just think about what happened to all those students on retreat in Denmark. Do use a locked case inside the suitcase while traveling through MD.
New Castle County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:29:06 PM »
Have you asked the leadership of the church how they fell about it?

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »
Small world. Mrs. Geek and I will be blazing across southern Indiana in the Bluesmobile next week...

"It's 1250 miles to Oklahoma, we've got a full tank of gas,
two 10mm Glocks and a hundred rounds of ammunition,
it's getting dark, and we're not wearing sunglasses."

Of course, we'll need to stop near Terre Haute and disarm before we descend into the People's Republik of Illinois. It's a planned stop: in about twenty minutes we'll take on 20 gallons of fuel and two large iced coffees, while locking our freedom in the trunk.
Then, we'll cross Illinois the way I always do: without spending a dime or leaving anything of more than scatological value.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 01:34:26 AM »
Too funny Oldgray! Thanks for all the posts folks- I now do plan to bring my insurance- and I feel much better about it. Hawkeye- I do believe that if I was to ask- they would be horrified and prolly not even want to be near me  :o, let alone want me to go- it'll stay concealed; which is the name of the game right? Would it be the nug in one locked case, and the ammo in another locked case inside the suitcase, or just the nug in a locked case and the ammo inside the locked suitcase? Hmmmm...

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 02:46:25 AM »
If you have one of those cable locks that goes through the firearm's slide or cylinder, you should use that as well: the more difficult it would be to load & use the gun, the weaker any possible case against you if it were found, stolen, or otherwise caused a problem.

When we drive through Illinois, both guns will have those locks in place, they'll be in a locked box in Elwood's trunk*, and the ammo & mags will be in a different bag.

*Yes, I named my cop car "Elwood." Wouldn't you?

If you don't have such locks, I'm sure someone up here would lend you theirs. (We'll be using ours). They're cheap, under $10 if you have time to order them online.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
Need a cable lock?  I'll lend you one for the trip.  I have one in the car.  If you want to use the lock, PM me.  I looked
for your info for a PM, but you dont have it on.  Was gonna shoot you a PM with my phone number for the cable lock.

And DONT ASK for permission, they will tell you NO. Because you and I know that "thing" will get a mind of it own
and jump up and start shootin people without anyone near or touching it...

Concealed means CONCEALED. They will never know.

For MD, keep mags LOADED!
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=64016&highlight=loaded+magazines
In this message there is a PDF from the AG re: travel & one for loaded mags.  Print it and keep it
with the gun.

Not sure about the rest of the route you will be taking.  So you'll have to research that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:17:55 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
Yup, same here, Pete.  I have a cable lock I'd lend you too.  Not sure how many "little friends" you're taking, but i've got several.

Radnor is right.  Don't ask permission. I mean, you know how those pencils make you mispell a word...  yup.  Guns do the same thing.  They just start firing away on their own. LOL.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 03:05:29 PM »
Hawkeye- I do believe that if I was to ask- they would be horrified and prolly not even want to be near me  :o, let alone want me to go-

There are gun friendly churches out there.  If yours is not one of them and it is that important to you maybe you should look around for another.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »
Thanks again all- I do have several of the cable locks as well- that's a good idea- I appreciate the offers to borrow some! Not sure why my "PM" isn't working, just got a couple the other day- I'll check that out- but again, I really appreciate the advice and offers of help. I think they plan to turn the local football stadium (pro) into a church- I just hope they don't have metal detectors installed, or I'll be walking-light anyway! (Oh yeah, my Glock is that "new-age all polymer" job that can't be detected!) LOL!! :D I'll let you all know how it went around Thanksgiving. Pete D.---