Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2399 times)

Curly

Hello
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:59:42 PM »
Just turned in my papers on October 19 and now the wait begins. Looking forward to getting ideas from all of you because as of right now, I don't own a handgun yet. Gonna be shooting a few to decide what works for me. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Hi Curly!

Welcome to the forums!  What county did you apply in?  Good luck and let us know when you receive your permit.

I'm partial to Sig Sauer, Glock, and Smith and Wesson for handguns.  I also prefer a few different calibers depending on what I'm wearing or where I'm going.  9mm, .40, .357 etc. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:26:07 PM »
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

First let me say welcome to the forum.  

Now for your request for recommendations.  First, you should make a list of what you want in a carry weapon.  Once you have that list you can go through the process of elimination to pick what you feel is right for you.  Is a manual safety important?  Do you have a preferred caliber?  For my first carry weapon I wanted 9mm and a manual safety. I ended up with a Millennium Pro PT111 and I don't regret it.  My wife recently bought a Ruger SR9c, again in a 9mm with a manual safety and she loves it.  The Ruger comes with a 10 round magazine and an extended magazine with 17 rounds.  It covers both areas as a concealed carry weapon and a quick exchange of the magazine makes it a fully capable home defense handgun as well.  If a manual safety is not important you cannot go wrong with a Glock.   I also sometimes carry a Glock 21sf and with it being a full sized handgun I have to be more conscious of what I wear so that I can properly dress around it. I am sure you will get as many recommendations as there are people to respond.  The bottom line is that you get what you feel comfortable with. Not something just because someone else said to get it.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Curly

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
Thanks so far for the comments. @ Moosie, New Castle County.