Author Topic: Anyone denied with clear background?  (Read 17695 times)

fish0123

Anyone denied with clear background?
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
Hey everyone I'm just starting to research the process of obtaining the permit and I am trying to decide how to go about it. I would like to go ahead and get the class behind me but it would be terrible to spend all that money and be denied a permit. I was just wondering how strict the state is about issuing these things. I have a clear background, never even had a parking ticket, only hitch is that I just turned 21, which shouldn't affect my chances. I have lived in Delaware for about 6 years, so most if not all of my references will be people that I have known for maybe 3-5 years, not sure if that affects anything. Any tips would be appreciated, I am applying in Sussex county by the way.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Anyone denied with clear background?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
Fish,

Per DE law, you do not have to take the class before you jump through the other hoops.  However, it may delay your permit slightly, should you be approved.

If you prefer to take your class after you do all the rest of the paperwork, I beleive it's the AG's office who sends you a letter (might be the Prothonotary's) that says, congrats, you've been approved, provided you provide a certificate you took and passed the course.

there are plenty of courses out there that should allow you to take the course almost immediately, but then you have to pass the course, and submit the certificate.  As I mentioned, there is a slight delay, but maybe only by a few weeks at most.

Hope this helps,

Moosie

FYI, the permits in DE aren't as hard to get as one might think.  If I were you, I'd apply.
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

fish0123

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »
Thanks for the help, I think I will just go ahead and get the paper work in. I was told that it may be a good idea to get my app. in before the first of the year because the state gets swamped with paper work from all of the ccdw renewals.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »
Minimum age for being issued a CCDW Permit in Delaware is 18 years of age.  I don't know anyone that was denied if they have a clear background.  If you opt to take the class prior to your application it may show your determination to obtain your permit.  The cost of the class isn't as much as it was a few years ago.  Shop around and see what the cost of the class is prior to making your decision.

Everyone that I know that has applied for a permit has taken the class prior to applying for the permit.

Liberty Firearms Training 302-290-9248.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

fish0123

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
That's good to know. Im going to get the ball rolling and see if I can knock out the class and send in the app. before Jan. 1

I read that once you have the receipt from you background check you can go ahead and file. This means the background check from the state police doesn't need to be complete to file? This would be great for me because having to wait 6-9 weeks total for the background check would not be good. Do you just include the receipt with the rest of the paperwork? Should I include a copy of the receipt?

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
You receipt from the SBI indicates that your background check has begun and that receipt must be included with your application.  The CCW application must be submitted within 30 days of being fingerprinted (see instruction #2 from the packet).  As for taking the class first, that really does not matter. Both my wife and I were approved prior to taking the class.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
It may speed up the process if you turn in all of the paper work at once. Add some specific reasons as to why you want a permit (carry large sums of money etc.), when you fill out the county form.
When I took my class, we were told someone was turned down by the Superior Court Judge because they only said they wanted to protect themselves and their property.
Do not forget the pictures and to hand in duplicate copies of all paper work, one copy for the court and the other for the Attorney General. Good luck.

fish0123

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:45:19 AM »
Thanks for all the help everyone. The form says to be VERY specific, but they provide very little space to write, does anyone attach a separate page with their explanation?

Kimber HD

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »
When I took my class I was told to keep to the standard 'For protection of person, property, or both'.  So that's what I went with.  If they come back and ask for more detail, I'll provide it.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »
Delaware Law requires the following statement:
Personal Protection, Property Protection, or Both.

Adding statements like "I carry large sums of money", "I make night deposits", etc. will possibly get you your permit with restrictions.  Like "When carrying large susm of money".

Any instructor that has a clue will not devatte from the statement listed in Delaware Code.

Liek I stated before everyone that I know has put the same statement and got the permit without restriction.

Just my opinion. 
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

MarinoTactical

• www.marinotactical.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »
I already posted this response in a different thread, but since it's become the focus here, I'll repost it. Hopefully, I dont come off as clueless:

As an instructor registered with the State to give CCDW classes, I sometimes receive updates from Superior Court and and the AG's office regarding CCDW. Heres what I received a while back from a Sussex County Judge:

Dear Mr Marino,

With regularity, I receive Applications for a license to Carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon that state as the reason or need for the permit the following:
"self protection or self defense or protection of person, family and property".

Our application requires that the applicant "be VERY specific" as to why they need to carry a concealed deadly weapon. The above reasons are not specific and are too general. They get kicked back to applicants.
Please let your students know they need to have a good and specific reason to carry a concealed deadly weapon and need to state that reason in the application.

That being said, I've only heard of one person having an app kicked back, but once he added some more reasons, it was approved. I guess it all depends on the mood. Hopefully this helps.
Marino Tactical Training, Inc.
Certified Instructors for
National Rifle Association
Glock Certified Armorer and Professional Instructor
Utah BCI
Delaware Council on Police Training(COPT)
marinotactical@gmail.com
302-542-3755
www.trainforthefight.com

Kimber HD

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
Delaware Law requires the following statement:
Personal Protection, Property Protection, or Both.

Adding statements like "I carry large sums of money", "I make night deposits", etc. will possibly get you your permit with restrictions.  Like "When carrying large susm of money".

Any instructor that has a clue will not devatte from the statement listed in Delaware Code.

Like I stated before everyone that I know has put the same statement and got the permit without restriction.

Just my opinion. 

That is what my instructor told me as well...So that is what I went with (as stated above).

That being said; how many permits have you seen that are restricted ?  How would that work anyway (eg - only when carrying large sums of money; what would be considered a large sum, etc) - it sounds like total ambiguity.

John

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 03:29:52 AM »
Yeah, I went with the "standard" and had no problems.  So have a few people I know.   By the way, the "standard" seams very specific to me.

fish0123

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm getting my references together and had a quick question for you guys that have applied. The top of the page where it asks for the applicants name address etc (my name address etc), do I fill that portion out or does my reference? Just want to make sure everything is perfect before I turn this thing in.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »
Fish0123,
You can fill out the applicant name (you) and address on the reference sheets.
Lumspond
New Castle County