Author Topic: Anyone denied with clear background?  (Read 17697 times)

fish0123

Re: Anyone denied with clear background?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 07:18:29 PM »
Well I submitted my application on January 5, I know not the best timing. Anyways, the other day I got a letter in the mail stating that I go to a hearing to "review my request for a concealed carry or firearm permit." Has anyone else had to do this? I don't see how there could be anything wrong as I have a clear background and everything.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
Never knew of anyone going to a "hearing".  What did you give as your reason to carry???
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

fish0123

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 04:57:37 PM »
I think my reasons were specific enough but who knows. One of my reasons was that I live in a busy area where there have been multiple robberies and an attempted break in. I am concerned for the safety of me and my family. I suspect that it may be because of my age?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »
Hopefully it is a minor issue. Keep us posted Fish0123.
If you are denied, you have 10 days to request a new hearing, and bring legal representation. I found a Newark lawyer who advertises such representation. Hopefully you won't need it.
http://www.farren-law.com/Criminal-Law-Matters/CCDW-Appeals-Carrying-Concealed.shtml
New Castle County

fish0123

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »
Thanks for the help, the problem is that now after the expense of going through the ccdw process and Christmas, I really don't think I can afford a lawyer. I will just have to see what the deal is at the hearing. I have to admit it has me a little concerned. The only things that I have "going against me" would be that I am 21 and my only occupation is a student. They might just need to see me in person to make sure I'm not one of those nut jobs that brings a gun to school.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 05:08:29 PM »
Fish,
If you listed "home break ins and robberies" as your reason, that wouldn't necassarily justify a carry license, as keeping a gun in your home would serve as protection. I think a more generic "to protect myself and my family" would have served you better. If that is the case, be happy the judge is asking for clarification instead of simply denying the app. Good luck.
New Castle County

fish0123

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
Yeah that is a good point, I should have put something in there about returning home and leaving home. Although my other reason should have been sufficient, I said that I go fishing in the evenings in my boat and don't return until after dark. I said I was concerned about being robbed and possibly attacked at these times.

Kimber HD

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Please let us know how this progresses...

fish0123

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
Yeah I will keep you guys posted.

horse8four

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
I submitted my application with classes completed, complete references of at least ten years plus for each reference, total complete package for my CCDW on December 20th to beat all the renewals.  I have a spotless clean background check and used the standard "For the protection of self, property and family", and got a letter today from the judge that says that my application is being kicked back because I have to be more specific as to why I want to carry concealled because it is an open carry state. I find that this is totally absurd. No questions in my background, classes completed, totally clean references (One being from the pastor of my church for petes sake), and a law that states that I have the right to carry concealled, but it gets kicked back for a better reason? Wow...any one else have this issue?

fish0123

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
As far as I know all of the apps in Sussex county go through one judge. This man has made it clear that you have to be very specific about your reason. I found this out from Mr. Marino that teaches CCDW classes in Sussex County, he read the letter directly to all of us in his class. You shouldn't be denied for this however, the judge will probably just request that you send in a more specific reason.

At least you don't have to go in for a hearing...I have no clue what it could be about because if it is a issue about my reasons then they would have kicked it back like yours.

I have an outside the waist band holster on its way in case my ccdw falls through. I can always open carry, which I plan to do while I wait on my ccdw.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:16:05 PM by fish0123 »

Wickedrex

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »
I submitted my application with classes completed, complete references of at least ten years plus for each reference, total complete package for my CCDW on December 20th to beat all the renewals.  I have a spotless clean background check and used the standard "For the protection of self, property and family", and got a letter today from the judge that says that my application is being kicked back because I have to be more specific as to why I want to carry concealled because it is an open carry state. I find that this is totally absurd. No questions in my background, classes completed, totally clean references (One being from the pastor of my church for petes sake), and a law that states that I have the right to carry concealled, but it gets kicked back for a better reason? Wow...any one else have this issue?

What county are you in?  I'm in New Castle County.  I'm just curious because I just submitted my app on Friday and as per my instructors guidance, I put the generic reasoning down.  Nothing more.  I'm just curious if it differs county to county as it sounds like from Fish0123 or if I should be expecting my app to be kicked as well?    :-[
--Jay--

rusirius

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
As far as I know all of the apps in Sussex county go through one judge. This man has made it clear that you have to be very specific about your reason. I found this out from Mr. Marino that teaches CCDW classes in Sussex County, he read the letter directly to all of us in his class. You shouldn't be denied for this however, the judge will probably just request that you send in a more specific reason.

At least you don't have to go in for a hearing...I have no clue what it could be about because if it is a issue about my reasons then they would have kicked it back like yours.

I have an outside the waist band holster on its way in case my ccdw falls through. I can always open carry, which I plan to do while I wait on my ccdw.

There have been lots of posts going on around here debating this topic.  My instructor had gotten word from the judge in my county that they were going to start rejecting permits if the, "For protection of self and property" was used.  My guess is pretty much every permit came in with those reasons, and since the application DOES say to be very specific they got tired of seeing the same thing on every form.

When I submitted my application by reason was simply, "See Attached".  Because I had an almost full page of various reasons why I wanted to carry concealed.  In fact, one of my reasons specifically mentioned that I knew it was an open carry state, but didn't want to draw attention to myself, etc.  I know the instructor that gave me my class has posted a few warnings about this happening, but most people didn't believe him for whatever reason.  Hopefully this will help solidify what he was trying to relay.

The truth is, they don't really CARE what reasons you give assuming you don't put something silly like, "In case my bitches get out of line." or something like that... ;)  There IS a reason they ask for SPECIFIC reasons though... It's to force you to stop and take a minute to THINK about why you want it for yourself... Filling out that sheet of reasons really made me think about a lot of things and  really brought out a lot of reasons that I didn't even think of before doing it.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
Come on people. You can think of a reason other than the basic "home, family and property" to carry. How about going to shopping areas, gas stations, other public places where people get mugged or robbed every day. Carrying sums of cash for business or pursonal purchases such as showing cash at yard sales or flea markets is good.  In Delaware, nobody needs to carry concealed on their own property while mowing grass of setting in front of the TV.
Also when carrying open on your hip, don't forget, as soon as you put on a coat that covers your gun, you are illegal and concealing.  You can't go around in a T-shirt all winter. You would have to put a belt on over your coat to carry a holster to open carry legally.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Wickedrex

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »
To tell you the truth, I can come up with a short novel on the reasons I would like to carry concealed but we were instructed by our trainer to stick with the short and simple.  He stated that times were changing and that nothing more was needed.  He also stated that in fact being too wordy could get your app questioned more or possibly at the very least be delayed for more research or even restricted.  I also read in another thread on this board of others saying the same and that they had the generic on their app that was approved.  I'm not sure if this determination varies region to region or one AG's office to another and that is what I was trying to determine.  This process is very confusing because it seems there just is no correct or straight answer to any of it.  Just case to case.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:43:54 PM by Wickedrex »
--Jay--