Author Topic: Hello from Middletown area  (Read 3231 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Hello from Middletown area
« on: November 24, 2011, 04:52:26 AM »
Hello,
Currently I do not have a CCDW but hope to apply for one sometime next year. Just moved here from NJ (jumping up & down happy!) so we still don't know many people aside from initially meeting the neighbors and attending a neighborhood Halloween party. I'd feel uncomfortable meeting someone once or twice and asking "btw could you fill out this government form allowing me to carry a handgun" as I'm sure they would as well. Hopefully I'll know a few people well enough to ask by springtime. I do intend on taking my CCDW course before then mainly to gain the knowledge from the course but to also have it completed for next year.

I purchased our (sharing with the wife ;D) 1st handgun about 2 months ago which is a Walther PPS 9mm and really enjoying it at the range. Currently over 500 rounds through it and feeling much more comfortable than I was the first time I fired it. Range target distance is roughly 21 - 30 feet (max HD range I figure) depending on how I feel and my shots are mostly within a 3 1/2" grouping which I think isn't too bad for a new shooter with zero formal training yet. I find the range to be highly addictive! ;D

I think this addictiveness could be fairly dangerous over the next few months in both range time, ammo costs and the fact I just found myself ordering a Mossberg 590A1 12ga for HD and 2 cheap Hi-Point .45 pistols. That darned Ruger 10/22 has also been tempting me lol. The Mossberg has a purpose as would the Ruger (cheap fun) but those Hi-Points.. well we'll see once they arrive. Not out much if I don't like them. If I do they could serve useful stuffed in with the camp gear down the road.

I grew up in Canada where the gun laws are horrendous. Owning a long gun wasn't too bad however owning a handgun was quite rare and difficult from what I remember. I was blown away when I purchased the PSP and it only took about 20 minutes. Still shaking my head over how easily its done here. Canada also has a national gun registry excluding shotguns only though I hear they are thinking of shutting it down. Seems that after spending a few billion on its setup and upkeep they figured out that registered guns don't actually kill people!  ::)

A few up front questions... #3 is currently my big question:

1. Does it matter if I take the CCDW course now and then apply next year sometime?
2. Line 1 on the Reference Questionnaire "How long have you known the applicant?". Since we have just moved to the state answers to this would less then 1 year. Would this be cause for denial?
3. Since I cant CC yet I travel to the range with the gun in my MidWay gun bag on the passengers seat, mags empty and ammo on a separate compartment in the same bag. Am I OK doing this? Is this legal and lawful? Is it considered concealed in a gun bag? I read on page 5 & 6 (http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf) that it "Must be Clearly Visible". I unfortunately don't read the law easily.

Many other questions later in other threads but these I wanted to ask right away.

Thanks and since its after midnight.. Happy Turkey Day Everyone!  :D

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Hello from Middletown area
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
Adrenolin,
Welcome to the forum. I also live in the Middletown area, north near the canal.
You can find all your forms and instructions here, although it sounds like you have them:
http://courts.delaware.gov/Superior/weapons.stm#rules

The instructions do not mention a timeline regarding the training course, only that you should take it after approval. Most of us take it right before we submit. There are several people on this forum who offer this class, and have happy customers. Dave Johnson, and Marino Tactical are two.

You won't have any choice regarding knowing people in NCC less than a year. So just go for it. The training instructors don't encounter many people who are denied with a clean background, even though DE is a 'may issue' state.

You need to have that handgun/rifle out of reach, which means in your trunk, or rear of the vehicle. Also the ammo should be in a separate bag.

I'm sure the more experienced members will offer more defined answers here.

Good luck!
Lumspond
New Castle County

czer

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
Welcome, I am from the Middletown area also. FYI,  I hope you are going to the county range at Ommelanden, to cut your range costs down. Good luck with your permit.

Gorski

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »
Also from Middletown, welcome.  Enjoy your practice time, and yes go for the permit!
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:45:14 AM »
Lumspond.. thanks for the information. I've done a lot of research already and do have the required forms printed and all  ;D. I'll start keeping the gear in the rear luggage area behind the back seats then.. 03 Explorer.

czer.. actually I haven't been to Ommelanden range yet but will look into it for sure. Currently going to Shooters down in Dover. I have not signed up for a membership there yet as I've been wanting to look around more first.

Gorski.. thanks and yes I have been enjoying my practice time very much. Can't wait to give the new toys a good break in soon!