Author Topic: AR-15 .22 Kit  (Read 4593 times)

Condition 1

• Life Member
AR-15 .22 Kit
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:56:16 PM »
I just bought a .22lr conversion kit for AR 15. Although I am not a big fan of conversions, I found this conversion kit to be a good addition to my needs - it will let me shoot with the exact same setup (sights, optics, weight, ...) as my HD setup, the kit does allow me shoot good ammo very cheap without wearing out BCG and being very soft on the barrel.

The unit I bought was a CMMG .22 kit, hopefully it will get here next week and I will give my impressions.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Re: AR-15 .22 Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
No problems with your kit, everything I googled years ago, was the other kit, getting the dealer to ship it, out of stock ect.  Friday night at Del Pistol, 22 night, shooting targets..   now you can go. 
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

rusirius

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
I just bought a .22lr conversion kit for AR 15. Although I am not a big fan of conversions, I found this conversion kit to be a good addition to my needs - it will let me shoot with the exact same setup (sights, optics, weight, ...) as my HD setup, the kit does allow me shoot good ammo very cheap without wearing out BCG and being very soft on the barrel.

The unit I bought was a CMMG .22 kit, hopefully it will get here next week and I will give my impressions.

I kinda went the other way myself.  Back when I had my Stag I was thinking of getting a conversion for it... After considering the costs and such, I ended up just getting a little .22lr instead.  I was like you, I wanted the conversion kit so I could basically keep everything the same but shoot cheaper... But then it dawned on me... A marksman is a marksman NOT because of his equipment, but because of his skills... Those skills are honed by practice, and they really aren't equipment based.  A true marksman can quickly adapt to any type of equipment, good or bad.  At least that's what I convinced myself.  I figured just getting another rifle was a lot cheaper than a kit, and it gave me the opportunity to send a lot of lead down range and work on my fundamentals... Trigger pull, breathing, etc...

As a matter a fact... I just stopped at a local shop last night and picked up a new remmy 597.  I had sold the old Marlin I had to a friend that wanted to buy his first firearm, and frankly I missed it... ;)  Got it stripped, cleaned, and lubed (my way) last night, as well as the scope mounted and bore sighted...  Gonna take it out tonight and get it zeroed...

One thing that can be said... Conversion kit or stand alone rifle, there isn't much that can beat a .22lr for practice... It's practically a staple for any collection!

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »

I kinda went the other way myself.  Back when I had my Stag I was thinking of getting a conversion for it... After considering the costs and such, I ended up just getting a little .22lr instead.  I was like you, I wanted the conversion kit so I could basically keep everything the same but shoot cheaper... But then it dawned on me... A marksman is a marksman NOT because of his equipment, but because of his skills... Those skills are honed by practice, and they really aren't equipment based.  A true marksman can quickly adapt to any type of equipment, good or bad.  At least that's what I convinced myself.  I figured just getting another rifle was a lot cheaper than a kit, and it gave me the opportunity to send a lot of lead down range and work on my fundamentals... Trigger pull, breathing, etc...

That is a good excuse to buy another gun  ;D

Marksmanship (long range precision and accuracy) is not really what I am looking for, I am really looking for practice on CQB.

I believe on muscle memory. The trigger pull, location of your hands, sights, weight... all matter when considering muscle memory. Any good combat instructor will tell you to practice with what you carry, I don't carry a rifle but it is on my HD setup. The skills and fundamentals will be pretty much alike from gun to gun, the differencial will come on how fast you can adpat to the gun on the heat of the moment - where is the safety? charging handle? magazine release? flip up sights? optics? length of the barrel when moving? balance .....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:02:19 PM by Condition 1 »

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:59:11 AM »
The kit arrived today, very solid and well built. The fit on the upper receiver is superb, no play whatsoever. It came with one 25 rounds magazine. I stopped by the Walmart and picked up a box of 550 rounds of .22lr for $20 (it felt really good).

I can't wait to take it to the range and run a few CQB drills.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 02:01:24 AM »
I meant to update this a while ago.....Well it didn't last long. First I didn't quite enjoy shooting .22, but I think mostly I found a pita to have to adjust the sights and optics back and forth...also, after using the kit it is recommended to shoot a couple of rounds of .223 to clean up the gas tube, another pita - two bolt carriers and one rifle to clean.

I still want to get an AR setup just for .22, not sure I will go for a complete rifle or for a dedicated upper....

Nothing wrong with the kit, works really well and lots of people luv it, this is based on my opinion only.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
Condition, have you tried these?
http://www.lakesideguns.com/
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.