Author Topic: How to approach new employer about CCW?  (Read 5428 times)

Thlax

How to approach new employer about CCW?
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:27:48 AM »
I will be working for a company starting in January, and am trying to decide who the best person to ask about their (the company's) firearms policy would be?

Obviously, I would like it to be on a need to know basis. I am wondering if my boss would ask her boss who would ask his to ask her and his and so on? I wouldnt like that...

Talk to security? Its not mentioned in the handbook anywhere I can find.

Any suggestions welcome!

-D

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: How to approach new employer about CCW?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:48:19 AM »
If it is not mentioned in the handbook, carry... and tell NOBODY.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
  When you said, talk to security.   I would say not allowed.    Sounds like a larger company.     Wear a glock or modern warfare shirt in ,  see who chats with you.  then ask.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:35:14 AM by TwistedKarma »
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »
Also good luck with the job.   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
IM with oldgrey on thi one. If its not in the handbook then carry and  :-X

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
OldGray's answer has my vote too... 

Let me emphasize the TELL NO ONE part.  If it's feasible, save or print the employee handbook as it is right now.  It gives you something to stand on if they change their policy and dont tell you. 

Just my .02

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

MarinoTactical

• www.marinotactical.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
I agree with Old gray also. Any company large enough to have their own security staff and policy handbook would have most likely have put something as significant as a gun restriction in the handbook. Assuming that there is a central office, I would also check around the main entrances there to make sure it's not posted anywhere.
Good luck with the new job!
Marino Tactical Training, Inc.
Certified Instructors for
National Rifle Association
Glock Certified Armorer and Professional Instructor
Utah BCI
Delaware Council on Police Training(COPT)
marinotactical@gmail.com
302-542-3755
www.trainforthefight.com

Thlax

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:10:17 AM »
Thank you,

I guess since it is a such a large company its fine mentioning, as I would not carry if it was not allowed....but this will be for DuPont. ( Still in school, currently a Junior and will be doing a coop Jan-Sept, then returning to school for Senior year at UD).  I have read a couple places online that mention they are firearm friendly (I would think so considering their history...). I am on the business end, not chemicals or anything. Still need to flip through each page of that employee book and make sure its not there..

I know they employee a large amount of people from DE, so if anyone works there currently, please let me know!

Otherwise I'll make sure i check all available sources.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »
Thiax,
I work for them as well. Which site will you be at?
The Experimental Station has big signs at the gates stating "no guns on site".
I do not believe it is a gun friendly company.
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:56:13 AM »
They are NOT, repeat NOT FIREARM FRIENDLY!!! 

Thlax, I would not ask anyone about it, but I would refrainn from carrying there. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Thlax

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:21 AM »
Thanks for the prompt responses. As said, I would not break their rules for my own personal safety. I will be at the Barley Mill Plaza.

Oh well, I did read they allowed firearms in some state where others were starting to ban.

Kimber HD

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
Personally, I don't see it happening in 1000 years.  DuPont is the most 'safety' (according to their standards) conscious company I've ever seen - People have been reprimanded for drinking coffee without the proper lid, or for having a pocket knife.  Sorry, don't see it.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
Thiax,
Enjoy your co-op assignment at BMP!!
New Castle County

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
Dupont went "Politically Correct" about 20 years ago.  Part of that process was divesting themselves of Remington Arms and Dupont Gunpowder.
Don't quote me, but I believe that the official policy, companywide, is no weapons on any site, for employees, regardless of posting. Many sites are posted with the prohibition.  The sign reads "No Weapons", to include whatever they perceive as a weapon. It isn't for "safety", but for legal liability. The same sort of folks who have a strong influence on the Delaware legislature also have a similar effect on corporate leadership. If you research it on the net, you will find that a preponderance of the Fortune 500s have similar policies. The only weapons that are politically correct are to be found on a LEO's hip.
Some states are trying to enact legislation to prevent employers from barring otherwise legally possessed long guns & pistols from cars in their parking lots.
Delaware is not one of them.
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe