Author Topic: Trip to NYC  (Read 3644 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Trip to NYC
« on: December 12, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
My wife and I joined her co-workers for a bus trip to Manhattan on Saturday.
We're not "welcome" there, but we decided to go anyway.

We took the NBC Studio tour, and of course they put us through airport-level security and held onto my Swiss Army knife for the duration.

Then, we decided to go downtown to the 9/11 memorial. Not having been there (or done any advance planning), we got our passes and headed into the "cattle chute" that took us to the entrance... and, at the end of the half-mile walk, they had the signs telling us that knives etc. were prohibited.
I went right to the head of the security detail, handed him the knife, and said, "If I'd known Swiss Army knives were illegal in Manhattan, I would have left it at home."

He handed it back to me on the other side of the metal detectors, and said, "Keep it out of sight."

I thanked him, and repeated that I was pretty surprised that I couldn't carry a pocketknife, so he asked, "Where are you from?"

I couldn't resist. "We're from Delaware... and we can all be glad that this memorial isn't in Delaware or Philly..."
"Why?"
"Because, down there, my wife and I would have had to check in our Glocks."

Then, we went into the memorial. No visitors were harmed by my Swiss Army knife.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

CMF

Re: Trip to NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:58 AM »
Were they doing full body cavity searches on 80 year old Grandmoms while those veiled in berkas passed in the fast lane?

Never forget

Glad you had a nice visit, CMF
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Re: Trip to NYC
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
  Glad to see you returned..  :o
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.