Author Topic: Fire Sights  (Read 8634 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Fire Sights
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
Got my Fire Sights installed on my MilPro yesterday and they look pretty good.  I am glad to get away from those Hiene sights.  I'll post a pic soon.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

fdegree

Re: Fire Sights
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I posted this thread about accuracy problems with my PT111.
http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=1507.0
So, I ordered the Fire Sights, and I installed them last week.

It has improved the accuracy of this gun.  At 10 yards, it is 4" below the point of aim and 4" to the left of point of aim...using Winchester 115 gr. and UMC 115 gr.  Maybe a heavier round will help, but I haven't tried that yet.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
I was shooting low and left with the Hiene sights. I will find out this weekend how the new sights work out.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

fdegree

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »
Please post your results...I'm quite curious how yours performs.
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »
When you are shooting low, left, trigger control may be the issue, not sight adjustment. Try dry firing to determine if trigger control is or is not the problem.
Aim your pistol, dry fire it, and if the sights move, trigger control is the issue. After dry fire practice teaches good trigger control, then adjust sights as needed.
This may or may not be the problem, but is worth considering.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
My Glock 21sf and my wife's Ruger sr9c shoot well. When I deploy the same shooting technique with Taurus I go low and left

Sussex County

fdegree

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
When you are shooting low, left, trigger control may be the issue, not sight adjustment. Try dry firing to determine if trigger control is or is not the problem.
Aim your pistol, dry fire it, and if the sights move, trigger control is the issue. After dry fire practice teaches good trigger control, then adjust sights as needed.
This may or may not be the problem, but is worth considering.

I agree, and I had thought about that.  But, I don't have this problem with my wife's M&P9 nor my Taurus Tracker .22lr.  So, I tend to think it is the gun...perhaps different bullets will help...but I haven't tried that yet.
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:56:07 PM »
I shoot several different pistols; they all have diferent triggers. Some of them I really have to concentrate on pressing the trigger, or I shoot left, sometimes low left.
Just be sure of your finger position on the trigger, and to press the trigger carefully, notice I said press.

fdegree

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:55:45 PM »
I went to the range today and fired about 15 rounds of 124 gr.  It seems to be more accurate than the 115 gr.

I can't remember, but I think there is a limit to the bullet weight for this gun...is that limit 124 gr.?  Also, I don't think it's rated for +P.
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

fdegree

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Hawkeye -- have you had a chance to check the accuracy with the Fire Sights?
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »
I fired with my Fire Sights a few days ago. I had 115 grain WWB FMJ, 124 grain Federal Hydra Shoks, and 147 grain Winchester JHP's.  I believe the new sights had a slightly better effect but I was still low and left.  Maybe it was just that I did not like the Heine sights so I thought it was better. I found that as I increased distances from 7 yards to about 25 yards the elevation accuracy corrected itself but I was still consistently shooting left by a few inches. My PT111 definitely liked the heavier rounds. The Fire Sights allow for side to side adjustment but not for elevation so that will be my next step.

Sussex County

rusirius

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
I have to agree with frank... I can't tell you the number of times I've seen people with the same issues, always getting good groups, but off sights.. they insist it's the sights, but 99% of the time it's a technique issue...

I know you may be able to shoot other pistols with absolute position, but every gun has a different trigger, different grip, different grip angle, etc...  It all has an impact and it doesn't take much to throw things around... Low-Left is one of the most common issues with pistol shooting because it's so very easy to do. 

If you want to absolutely prove it one way or another, get some snap caps, a laser, and a friend... Have a friend mix snap caps and real rounds in a mag and give you the pistol so you'll have no idea which rounds are live and which are fake.  Now shoot normal and have your friend watch the laser... It doesn't even matter if the laser is sighted, or if you're using it...  What your friend is looking for is the laser jerking down and to the left when you fire.  Chances are, it will...  The great thing about this is, it's a great training aid, between the snap caps and watching the laser yourself it can really train you on good trigger control quick.

Again, I'm not saying this is absolutely your problem... I'm just saying that the odds are much more likely it is, versus the sights, especially after going through two sets.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
Rusirius, good post.  As I said previously, dry fire practice will also demonstrate wether poor trigger control is an issue. Shooting low left is the usual result of an aggressive trigger pull or improper finger placement on the trigger. A good group only means the shooter was consistent with his or her technique, good or bad.

fdegree

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:35:13 PM »
I agree with your observations...and perhaps trigger control is actually the problem.  But, I do have the same results when firing from a bench rest
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
If you were to look on any of the Taurus forums you will see numerous people with the same problem with their Milpro regardless of caliber and like fdegree said, he gets the same results from a bench rest.

Sussex County