Author Topic: Laws for transporting in vehicle?  (Read 6166 times)

Fred023

Laws for transporting in vehicle?
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:20:47 PM »
Hi folks-
N00b here, just picked up a Glock 19 from x ring supply and looking to get my ccw.   Before I get to that, I was wondering what are the laws for transporting the gun in a vehicle for both ccw and non ccw holders.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks,

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Laws for transporting in vehicle?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:30 AM »
Welcome,
For non-CCW transport, treat it like you are driving to the gun range. Gun in a bag in the trunk, or rear of the vehicle (out of reach). Unloaded.
With CCDW, you can carry it on your person, under the seat, or in the glovebox. "Concealed" is a must.
You can check the state attorney general web page. Might be info there.
http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
For non-CCW transport, treat it like you are driving to the gun range. Gun in a bag in the trunk, or rear of the vehicle (out of reach). Unloaded.
With CCDW, you can carry it on your person, under the seat, or in the glovebox. "Concealed" is a must.

Fred,
WELCOME!

Lums,
You may want to have a discussion with the folks over at DELOC.ORG.

Open carry is LEGAL in Del WITHOUT a CCDW EXCEPT in Dover.
While on foot, OPEN!  NOTHING covering it.  While driving, loaded on
passengers seat or dash. Bottom line, IN SIGHT!

If pulled over for a traffic violation and OCing as above, my OPINION
it would put a major knot in the LEO panties.  So, I prefer to CC.

Your advise to Fred is the SAFEST will not knock you for that.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
The greatest problem is, ask five state or local police officers what is legal, and you will get ten different answers. Loaded open carry (in plain sight) is legal in De., except Dover and possibly other cities, however individual officers can and will interpret the laws differently. This could cause you delays at best, or arrest at worst, even if you were legal. A legally licensed CCW holder was dragged from his vehicle, hand cuffed, and slammed against his vehicle, by Camden/Wyoming officers, after telling them he had a permit and was carrying. Also, many (most?) people do not know that De. is an open carry state and will call the police if they see a gun. Although this does not answer your question, it is worth considering before carrying.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »
Below I have put a URL for a site that has a printable brochure (pdf) that is Delaware Firearms Laws for open and concealed carry. Check page 2 under "Carrying".
Recommend people print and have this brochure handy. Maybe a copy home and a copy in your vehicle.

http://www.deloc.org/docs/carrybrochure.pdf
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

rusirius

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »
The greatest problem is, ask five state or local police officers what is legal, and you will get ten different answers. Loaded open carry (in plain sight) is legal in De., except Dover and possibly other cities, however individual officers can and will interpret the laws differently. This could cause you delays at best, or arrest at worst, even if you were legal. A legally licensed CCW holder was dragged from his vehicle, hand cuffed, and slammed against his vehicle, by Camden/Wyoming officers, after telling them he had a permit and was carrying. Also, many (most?) people do not know that De. is an open carry state and will call the police if they see a gun. Although this does not answer your question, it is worth considering before carrying.

To add a few points to this... Most people don't think or realize it, but a large majority of the time when you are stopped by a cop he is NOT from around here.  Most of the time they are hired and "imported" in.  Because of that they aren't always as well versed in the local laws as they should be.  It's not hard to imagine getting pulled over by an officer fresh out of the academy who originally grew up in D.C. or someplace like that who would completely flip out the moment they saw you had a weapon.  Should it happen? No... Is it an excuse? No... But it sure does give a little extra incentive for trying to keep situations as calm as possible and not "antagonize" the situation. 

One note about people calling the police when they see a gun.  I have no empirical evidence of course, but I'm absolutely convinced that most of the people who do this have a backwards sense of things.  In other words, if you have a look at the OC forums you'll find LOTS of situations where people have been stared at, had the police called, thrown out of places, etc while open carrying...  On the other hand, I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've accidentally exposed my carry piece.  Rather it's getting out of the car and my shirt rides up, sitting in a "booth" at a restaurant and the same happens, getting up from such a place and again same issue, jacket or shirt blown open, etc... Not once in all those times have I even caught so much as an odd look.  Many many times it's happened and the most I've ever gotten was a nod.  You'd think open carrying would raise less eyebrows and suspicion than concealed carry, but for whatever reason that doesn't seem to be the case.  For some reason it just seems like a person who sees another carrying concealed just goes on about their business, while a person seeing someone carrying on their hip (and not in uniform) freaks them out.

Fred023

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Welcome,
http://attorneygeneral.delaware.gov/crime/concealedweapons.shtml

Thanks for the information, folks.  I'm still a bit confused, above it says that if you have CCDW, you can concealed carry in your vehicle, but everywhere else I've looked says that the gun either needs to be in plain view or unloaded and inaccessible.  Can someone please clarify this?  Thanks again!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »
Hi Fred, welcome to the site!

If you have in your possession a concealed carry permit, you can carry your gun anywhere you @@@@ well please... hidden anywhere -- loaded or unloaded (although in my opinion, there's only one time my gun would be empty and if I've emptied it and they're still coming, I'm running LOL). 

If you do not have a concealed carry permit in your possession, then you must do one of two things: open carry with your gun being in VERY plain sight -- i.e., NOTHING covering it.  It can be loaded. 

OR

You must stow your firearm in a place in your vehicle where it is not readily accessible.  It should be unloaded and the ammo stored separately.  So, as an example, your firearm should be in your gun bag or gun case in the farthest compartment away from you... the trunk.  and your ammo can be up front with you. 

Hope this helps,

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Fred023

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »
Crystal clear, thanks!  I am going to try and get into a class ASAP and get my application in the system.  I took my new Glock 19 to the range yesterday and had a great time!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »
Great, Fred!

There are several folks who have taken the course and posted on here who they took it with and that they were very happy with the instructor, the price, etc.  Do some digging and I'm sure you'll find some info.

Best of Luck to you!!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Fred023

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
Thanks.  Another question:  I live in DE and work in MD.  How are the vehicle transport laws different in MD?  All I know is that it seems very difficult to get a MD CCW license, so I don't want to get into trouble!  Thanks,

trevor

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 04:52:19 AM »
Strongly reccomend reading this: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MDSL.pdf and also get the ones for any other states you are likely to find yourself in. MD & NJ are amazingly restrictive. DE and PA much more reasonable.

Better link: http://www.NRAILA.org/GunLaws/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:00:26 AM by trevor »

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
Yeah, what Trevor said! LOL

Moosie

Fred023

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
Great read -- I guess I need to make sure to keep my range bag in the car!