Author Topic: Question regarding a Glock 30 and IWB holsters  (Read 14985 times)

Wickedrex

Question regarding a Glock 30 and IWB holsters
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Hello, as I am finishing up my paperwork to send in for my permit, I have been doing some research into holsters for one of my handguns.  I currently have a Glock 30 .45 auto, a Glock 19 9mm, a Sig P250 Tactical 9mm and a 3" Tuarus Judge.  For all intensive purposes, I will most likely be carrying the Glock 30 exclusively.  I do wanna get a nice leather pancake or paddle holster for outside the waistband carry in the colder months but I really want to carry inside the waistband for the most part.  I am 5'11", right handed and weigh about 195 lbs.   I'm not skinny but not fat.  As for dress, I'm a mechanic by trade so mostly jeans and tshirts or button downs/ polos when going out.  Clothes aren't big but fit properly as my wife says!  :D The two IWB holster I was considering was the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe and the Comptac Minotaur MTAC holster.  I'm not a big fan of Kydex for fear of it gradually beating the slide Of the gun up but kinda liked the reviews the MTAC was getting.  How do these two holsters compare and which would be more comfortable for a man with my frame?  Also, I wasn't sure if I wanted to carry in the 4 o'clock position or in an appendix IWB position at like 1:30ish position.  Can either of these holsters be carried in the AIWB position comfortably as well?  Any other suggestions on a decent holster for the Glock 30?  Not too many choices out there for this little monster.  I was looking to spend up to around $100.  Thanks in advance...
--Jay--

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Question regarding a Glock 30 and IWB holsters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »
I carry a Glock 29: same size as your G30. I'm 6'2", 220 lb.

I haven't really found a long term IWB solution for this firearm. I carry it one of two ways:

--Most often: concealed in plain sight in a Safepacker, worn at 3:30 on a strong leather belt. I do that year round, wearing shorts, khakis or jeans.
--Business casual: close to my, um, heart in a SmartCarry, under pleated Dockers.

I used to wear it in a normal holster under a concealing garment, but it's a really thick gun. I was always concerned about printing. With either of the above solutions, I don't worry about anything.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:16:49 AM »

Rfscanner

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
I have the G27 and just order the Crossbreed Super tuck Deluxe.
"A government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, tax paying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust." Founding Fathers.
NRA, DSSA and DSA Member.
Kent County

Wickedrex

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 02:15:11 PM »
I have noticed it is pretty hard to find a comfortable holster for this weapon.  I have tried a cheaply uncle mikes IWB around the house to kinda get used to carrying but haven't found a very comfy place on the waistband to carry it yet.  And printing is god aweful with the cheap holster but I was hoping both of these issues would be helped and maybe almost eliminated with a good holster.  I did notice the MTac has adjustable cant.  Does that allow it to be worn in multiple positions or is it only for adjusting gun angle in one particular spot?

As for the smartcarry, that actually looks pretty nice but not sure how it will work with jeans.  The picture of Charlie on their website has on jeans but not all of my jeans fit like his!  :D

I was looking at that exact Don Hume holster for IWB carry as well as the 721ot for OWB carry.  I was wondering how it was but worried it may not be that nice though because of the price.  I've heard good things about Don Hume holsters but was worried it was too generic.

There is definitely a bunch of choices out there and I'm just trying to used my wait time researching holsters before I pull the trigger on one.  They are pretty pricey and just wanna get started trying them out on the right foot.  Thanks again
--Jay--

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »

I haven't really found a long term IWB solution for this firearm. I carry it one of two ways:

--Most often: concealed in plain sight in a Safepacker, worn at 3:30 on a strong leather belt. I do that year round, wearing shorts, khakis or jeans.
--Business casual: close to my, um, heart in a SmartCarry, under pleated Dockers.

I used to wear it in a normal holster under a concealing garment, but it's a really thick gun. I was always concerned about printing. With either of the above solutions, I don't worry about anything.

Oldgraygeek, curious what position is 3:30?

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:01 PM »

Oldgraygeek, curious what position is 3:30?

Right behind the belt loop at 3:00.

rusirius

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
I have noticed it is pretty hard to find a comfortable holster for this weapon.  I have tried a cheaply uncle mikes IWB around the house to kinda get used to carrying but haven't found a very comfy place on the waistband to carry it yet.  And printing is god aweful with the cheap holster but I was hoping both of these issues would be helped and maybe almost eliminated with a good holster.  I did notice the MTac has adjustable cant.  Does that allow it to be worn in multiple positions or is it only for adjusting gun angle in one particular spot?

As for the smartcarry, that actually looks pretty nice but not sure how it will work with jeans.  The picture of Charlie on their website has on jeans but not all of my jeans fit like his!  :D

I was looking at that exact Don Hume holster for IWB carry as well as the 721ot for OWB carry.  I was wondering how it was but worried it may not be that nice though because of the price.  I've heard good things about Don Hume holsters but was worried it was too generic.

There is definitely a bunch of choices out there and I'm just trying to used my wait time researching holsters before I pull the trigger on one.  They are pretty pricey and just wanna get started trying them out on the right foot.  Thanks again

I carry a full size S&W M&P that's about the same size/weight as your G30.  When I carry IWB I always use a CB supertuck.  The coating on the gun is what they term "Melanite", which is the same as the Glock's "Tennifer", and I haven't noticed any wear or anything like that... The leather portion of the holster shows some darkening and wear, but even the kydex side of the gun shows nothing that can't be wiped off during a wipe down.

As for comfort and printing... I wear this setup with jeans and usually a t-shirt or polo style shirt.  If the shirt is short I have to be aware of bending over and exposing it, but it goes completely unnoticed.  I have one shirt that's a very heavy, yet very thin material.  That one will print a little since it almost seems to "form" around it, but even that you can't tell what it is I'm carrying.. Could be a cell phone, pager, or whatever...

I also have an UM's kydex paddle holster that I wear at 3 o'clock covered with a jacket or button down feces thrown over a t-shirt occasionally too... Even with it as far out as it sticks it isn't noticeable...

One thing to bear in mind, and the reason I'm mentioning it is....  YOU are your most harsh critic... In other words, it took me a while to realize it, but what seems OBVIOUS to you is usually OBLIVIOUS to others...  It's like the guy who has a zit on his face and thinks EVERYONE is staring at him, when really you can't even see it from more than a couple inches away...

Most of the time one simple rule applies...  If YOU forget about the gun, everyone else will too... ;)  Act like it isn't there, and for everyone else it'll disappear... ;)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
Old Grey,
I never pictured Wally as being 6' 2"", 220lbs. Holy cow!
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Old Grey,
I never pictured Wally as being 6' 2"", 220lbs. Holy cow!

Two years ago, I was 330 lbs...

Wickedrex

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
Rusiruis, thanks for the reply.  As for being our own harshest critic, I truely never thought about it like that and it makes total sense.  
I think I narrowed it down to a couple of different choices with them being the Supertuck, the Mtac, the Raven phantom, the Don Hume and Desantis IWB holsters.  I guess what means the most to me right now is one that is slightly forgiving and adjustable so I can try the gun at different positions.  I kinda like the 3 o'clock position the best.  I could deal with the two or four o'clock position but would take a bunch of getting used to especially at two o'clock.  And I haven't even gotten that far into the printing issue yet!  ;D. Thats why I decided to pick your minds to get me started on the right track.  I'm sure most of this will be a non-issue especially after carrying for bit.  I know like anything else is mostly user preference but with so many options out there, I wanna get started in the right direction without blowing a bunch of money on experimenting.  
Now, I noticed the Supertuck states it is intended to be worn in the four o'clock position.  Is this the only place it can be worn or just where it SHOULD be placed and other places could be a option?

Btw, sounds like we have a nice and fit group here!  Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:46:20 PM by Wickedrex »
--Jay--

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
I use the Crossbreed Super Tuck 80% of the time & the 0400 seems the most comfortable, but you can slide it in an position. On the side at 0300 it will stick out & drive into your hip . ???  I'm 6' & 195 ...after you ware it for awhile you forget it's there. The other 20% of the time I use a shoulder holster in colder weather. I carry different guns, but the shoulder holster lets me carry the Ruger 357 comfortably.

czer

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »
Wise words, Rusirius. I still catch myself nervously looking down, to check things out, which is not good. That, more than any printing, would draw attention!

rusirius

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 01:42:39 AM »

Now, I noticed the Supertuck states it is intended to be worn in the four o'clock position.  Is this the only place it can be worn or just where it SHOULD be placed and other places could be a option?

Btw, sounds like we have a nice and fit group here!  Keep up the good work!

I find it most comfortable for me at about 4 o'clock, which with the cant I have set put the grip right around 3:30.  For me personally it just seems to feel "at home" there and doesn't ever get in my way... Rather standing, sitting, etc it always seems to stay out of the way.  Not sure that's true for everyone, but I'd guess it's probably true for most, and that's probably why they recommend that position.  However, as knotacare pointed out, you can slide it in any position you want.  the cant can be adjusted quite a bit (4 positions on front clip combined with 4 positions on the rear clip) however the holster automatically has some cant built in, so while I've never tried, I doubt you could get much negative cant, so I don't know how comfortable you could get with extreme front positions (i.e. 1-2 o'clock.) 

I'm sure you've already seen or heard it before, but whatever holster you get, make sure you have a good gun belt to go along with it... I was one of those guys who didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but it really does make a HUGE difference.  On the other hand, with the clothes I normally wear sometimes a big heavy thick gunbelt just doesn't work, so I have a "Swiss" belt I think I picked up in target... it's very thick and pretty wide compared to most belts (though nothing like a gun belt) but it actually does a good job of distributing the weight and working pretty well. 

Anyway, point is, it's not "all" in the holster when it comes to comfort... The belt plays a big part in it too!

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »
The belt I use is a belt from Walmart. about a 1 1/4" wide, fairly thick leather and it has a double row of holes all the way around the belt with a double prong buckle. It is comfortable, and the extra holes work for hanging extra things onto the belt with clips or rings. Inexpensive and durable. I've had it for years and wear almost daily.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun