Author Topic: Question regarding a Glock 30 and IWB holsters  (Read 15265 times)

Wickedrex

Re: Question regarding a Glock 30 and IWB holsters
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »
Ok, so I finally made a purchase on a new holster I found online.  I got a holster made by SHTF Gear called the ACE-1 for my glock 30.  It is a hybrid holster very similar in construction and form to a Super Tuck or a Theis holster.  The owner of the company, Clay, was very nice, professional and helpful.  Anyhow, it is made of cowhide which seems kind of stiff right now and I have leather belt straps for it.  I had a question for those who are familiar or are using this style holster.  When wearing it in the recommended 4 o clock position, my gun prints pretty badly on my T-shirt especially at the base of the grip towards the small of my back.  I'm just curious if this will get better as the holster breaks in or is this an issue with my gun size, clothes or a combination of the two. 
My clothes fit pretty well, nothing too baggy or oversized.  It fits very comfy on my waist band in my pants.  I have a very nice 1.5" leather belt that is very sturdy.  What do you guys think?  Should I start shopping for a thinner gun, a new shirt selection or change my carrying position?  Or should I just give it time as the holster needs to break in more?  I really like this carry position as it is very comfy and I truely would like to not change my wardrobe.  I really like the way I dress and my wife especially would like it if I didn't.  I mean i know it is a large (or i should say thick!) gun but a lot of people carry these or something similar.  I have a glock 19 and i feel i would have similar issues with it as well.  What do you all think?
--Jay--

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »
Wickedrex,
Here's a tip for breaking in new leather holsters I got with my IWB holster from The Holster Store. Take you gun, and make sure it is empty and even remove the clip, for safety purposes. Wrap the entire gun to the handle in wax paper, wax side out. Wrap around gun at least 2-3 times. Insert the wrapped gun in the holster repeatedly. This will transfer the wax to the leather interior of the holster and make it slide easy. They also suggest leaving the wrapped gun in your holster over night as the extra thickness of the wax paper will help stretch the leather.
Now another tip. I did not have any wax paper. So, I took a candle and lit it and took an old tooth brush and applied the liquid hot wax inside the holster (doesn't take a lot) as best as I could. This left the wax a little gloppy inside the holster. Then I held the holster upside down and used the candles flame to melt the wax, which absorbed into the leather.  In less than an hour I had my holster working like a champ and as slick a snot on a door knob. Good idea to wipe you gun off when done (wax, not snot). Ha, Ha!
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Wickedrex

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Sturmruger,
Thanks for the reply.  This holster is a very well made hybrid.  I am pretty impressed.   I did notice that the gun seems to stick a little in the holster and when reholstering sometimes you can hear the slide move a little.  It hasn't moved to the point where it would in chamber a round though.  I am currently trying the wax paper thing on it now.  I still am a little concerned with the printing issues.  As I wear it around the house, it seems to get a little better each day but I'm still concerned my 30 may be a little thick (or better yet, I may be!) ;D. I'm just hoping the leather breaks in so it doesn't print so badly.  I'm new to the IWB carry and hope it works for me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:27:06 AM by Wickedrex »
--Jay--

rusirius

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
Sturmruger,
Thanks for the reply.  This holster is a very well made hybrid.  I am pretty impressed.   I did notice that the gun seems to stick a little in the holster and when reholstering sometimes you can hear the slide move a little.  It hasn't moved to the point where it would in chamber a round though.  I am currently trying the wax paper thing on it now.  I still am a little concerned with the printing issues.  As I wear it around the house, it seems to get a little better each day but I'm still concerned my 30 may be a little thick (or better yet, I may be!) ;D. I'm just hoping the leather breaks in so it doesn't print so badly.  I'm new to the IWB carry and hope it works for me.

Don't get too wrapped up in the printing thing... First off, put your own mind at ease knowing that there is no brandishing law in DE.  So even if someone DOES see it and reports it, other than an inconvenience it doesn't matter...  Second off, I've said it several times in posts on this board and others... YOU are your own worst critic.  You KNOW you are carrying a gun, and because you are new to it there's this deep seeded place in your brain that society has implanted that screams out, "Only cops and criminals carry guns, and I'm not a cop!". 

Ask someone who is law enforcement how they can tell if someone is carrying a weapon or not... It generally isn't because they can SEE it, it's because of the mannerisms and actions of the person who is carrying it. 

When you do things like keep your strong side arm clenched closer to your side while walking, you do it because you are AWARE of the gun... That's the key...

You need to FORGET about the gun... Unless a situation develops where you NEED it, you shouldn't even realize you have it.  If YOU forget about it, so will everyone else around you...

Think of it like this... When you say you have a bad "print", think about how it REALLY looks...  Take yourself and your OWN knowledge out of the equation...  If you walked up to a complete stranger, pointed at the slight buldge and said, "What do you think I have here?",  what do you think their answer would be? 

Remember society implants that only cops and criminals carry guns?  You're not either, and most people don't assume you are one or the other... So if they see a buldge their first assumption isn't going to be a gun, because YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE CARRYING ONE OF THOSE THINGS AROUND!  So their minds are naturally going to go to things that you MIGHT be carrying around, things they've seen before...  Like maybe a cell phone, mp3 player, pager, etc....

So take another look and see just how bad it really is... Chances are, it's not as bad as you'd think... and even if it is, as long as you forget about it, nobody else will notice it anyway... ;)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I carry concealed "in plain sight" in a Safepacker. When I first got it, I was afraid it would scream "GUN" like a fanny pack.
Over six years, exactly two people have correctly identified it as a holster.

People don't notice things that belong there... and, if you look like you belong where you are, everything you're carrying belongs too.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Wickedrex

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
You know what, you guys did bring this up earlier in the thread.  That was a few weeks ago and before I purchased my holster.  I guess with all of the info I gained, I formulated in my mind an idea of what was exceptable.  Upon receiving my holster and using with my firearm, I wound up spazzing a little and forget all of the valuable insight given to me by you all!  :o. Now that I've collected myself and reread through your posts, it all makes sense again.  Even my wife stated that yes she could every once in a while notice a bulge on my side but almost everyone would think it were a cell phone on a belt clip.  Your wisdom has sunk back in! ;D

As for the wax paper aroUnd the gun to ease the gun in and out...... WOW what difference!   Goes in and out like butter now.  Very secure still though.  Just took the grittiness out of it.  Thanks again everyone for your input!
--Jay--