Author Topic: S&W 642  (Read 3960 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
S&W 642
« on: January 07, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »
Picked up a S&W 642 today for use as a BUG and for something I can throw in my pocket for going to the corner store.  Not much I can say about these that have not already been said.  I do not have much in the way of .38sp ammo laying around but I do have some 148 grain wadcutters I can use until I get to the store for something better. I am looking at Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain GDHP.  They can be seen in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k890Rio2oBY&feature=relmfu

[attachment deleted by admin]

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: S&W 642
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:36:22 PM »
I've had one since I first started carrying. Great little gun.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

czer

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Hawkeye, good luck with your snubbie. My new Smith and Wesson 442 (the black version of your 642) is a real gem, with a smooth trigger and managable, almost soft recoil. I also carry a Kahr CW9 and I like both. But between the two, the snubbie is a little easier to carry and fit around the bends of my body and seems to tuck into my lower back with less stress. The CW9 points better but though its size is comparable, it is just bulkier in my IWB holster.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
managable, almost soft recoil.
Having just come back from the range I might debate that statement. I took three different types of ammunition with me.  The first I shot were some Lellier & Bellot 148 grain wad cutters.  These were surprisingly easy to shoot with a soft recoil, rather enjoyable. ;D  I then changed to Remington 130 grain MC. They packed a pretty good bite with the recoil. :-\  Next up were the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P GDHP I picked up at Lawmen Supply on my way to the range.  All I can say about them is wow! :'(  You knew you were firing a powerful round.  I did not fire many of those, I did not have to. 

BTW, I picked up a Blackhawk pocket holster and the S&W disappears easily into my front pants pocket.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Capnball

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
S&W 642 - Good Choice, being the revolver type myself I do like a Smith. Been thinking of getting one of the new S&W Bodyguard revolvers which is very close in size and shape to your 642. Currently I have an old Colt Police Positive that is in great shape and has the smoothest, most predictable trigger of any revolver I've ever owned but it is a bit bulky to carry compared one of small framed Smiths and the old Colt can't take +P ammo.