Author Topic: Best Ammo For a .38 Snubbie?  (Read 6446 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Best Ammo For a .38 Snubbie?
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
I was researching ammunition for my new S&W 642 and it appears I am leaning towards something other then what I initially intended to get.  I was looking at the old "FBI load" .38 Special 158 grain LSWCHP +P and then I came across the Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain GDHP. Here is a video of a gelatin test with the Gold Dot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k890Rio2oBY&feature=relmfu

I recognize that there are two sides to the ammo debate, those that think heavier (but slower) is better and those that think lighter and faster is better.  Morgue monsters vs jello junkies.

The Gold Dot will have a lighter recoil so the odds of getting the weapon back on target quicker are higher and they seem to expand well with sufficient penetration.

Any strong opinions one way or the other?

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

czer

Re: Best Ammo For a .38 Snubbie?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Hawkeye, I am not much help on a technical answer to your quest but on the preference for lighter versus heavier recoiling loads, I have made up my mind to go with the lighter. In my case, I use the Hornady Critical Defense FTX, 110 gr. .38's which produce noticably lighter recoil in my new Smith and Wesson 442 snubbie. Previous, I used standard 158 gr. Winchesters in my old Taurus 85 and it tore me up to the extent that I swore off snubbies for the next two years. This was because I did not believe the "carry it alot but use it little" idea about mouseguns and still do not. If you are going to carry something and depend on it for your life, you have got to get very good with it. And the only way to do that is to practice alot. And the only way to do that is to shoot something that does not punish your hand and,at least subconsciously, influence your confidence. The allure of the graceful pug nose brought me back and luckily I took the advice of Werner at X-Ring and have used lighter grain standard pressure with satisfactory results. I can put 50 rounds down range in one visit with no real discomfort, though 100 rounds pushes it. I have not tried wadcutters yet, but because of their lighter weight, I suspect they would be good as well.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Best Ammo For a .38 Snubbie?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:44 AM »
Thanks Czer I will give the Hornady a try. I picked up a box of the Speer God Dot 135 +P and they were kind of rough to shoot.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County