Author Topic: Skirt/Dress Concealed Carry  (Read 17703 times)

LMB531

Skirt/Dress Concealed Carry
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for carrying under a dress or skirt? I've seen an elastic band thigh holster and a custom garter thigh holster but I don't know anyone who has actually worn one. I'd like to be able to carry everyday but sometimes my outfits dictate that choice and working in an educational setting, it would be suspicious if I suddenly started wearing baggy clothes and cover garments all year long. Any thoughts?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Skirt/Dress Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:13:12 AM »
I would think it needs to be a very light gun if you are strapping it to your thigh. Like a PPK or P232. You could always carry in your purse on days where your clothes don't allow personal carry.
New Castle County

CMF

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 01:50:15 AM »
If we're talking light weapons in the 380 cal., you can't beat the Ruger LCP 380 with some Federal Hydroshok JHP 90 grain personal defense round. Two main requirements are small, light carry and easy concealment for this female in her usual dress. I think Moosie will know better than me or any other male. Maybe a belly band holster?
CMF   
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 04:06:57 PM »
Google concealed carry purse. There are several Holster sites that offer purses, and some that specialize in that type equipment and accesories. Good Luck.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
Hi,

if I am wearing a skirt or dress that just simply doesn't afford me to wear a traditional holster, I carry in my purse.  I have several options that fit in a small evening bag or larger framed guns that will fit in a larger purse -- depends on how formal the occasion is. 

Consider this... if you're wearing a skirt or dress that is past the knee are you really going to hike your skirt or dress up possibly revealing more than your gun to try and draw?  Probably not.  The other option is an ankle holster inside a pair of boots if that's appropriate for that outfit.  I've carried like this several times and have found it comfortable, but I still prefer carrying on my person the most. 

The one thing I will caution you on when / if you carry in your purse, is (obviously) someone stealing your purse! I like using a supertuck holster when I can't wear something baggy or a cover garment.  I have found that I can still usually wear something that is snug (not tight) and no one notices.  My most frequent carry gun is a Glock 32 .357 in a supertuck. 

The only other option I've used twice and haven't done so more frequently because i felt like a total nerd was my .380 has a small pouch style holster that looks like a cell phone case.  I've worn that on my belt and no one gave me a second glance. 

Whatever your choice is, PRACTICE!!!!  If you decide to use a thigh holster, know how far you'll have to hike things up, what it feels like, etc before you go out the door.  A small of the back holster works if you're wearing a skirt I've found.

Just my two cents!

Moosie (aka Rebecca)
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »
You might want to look at  www,theholsterstore.com  to see if they have anything that fits your gun. They have a ladies section called "Beckey's Bling" custom holsters. Behind the back, ankle, and leg models.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

LMB531

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
If we're talking light weapons in the 380 cal., you can't beat the Ruger LCP 380 with some Federal Hydroshok JHP 90 grain personal defense round. Two main requirements are small, light carry and easy concealment for this female in her usual dress. I think Moosie will know better than me or any other male. Maybe a belly band holster?
CMF

I have a Glock 26 which is way too big for me to conceal unless I have an outer garment so I rarely take that one out. For it I have a Crossbreed Supertuck. The gun I primarily carry is a Sig P238 (.380) and I have a belt clip holster as well as a Remora clipless holster. It's just that in a pencil skirt or a dress there's no easy way to cover the butt of it in the front unless I have on a baggy/flowing top.

LMB531

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »
Try looking at this site.
http://www.corneredcat.com/How_Do_I_Hide_This_Thing/#Thigh

I actually just got this book as a Christmas gift and I'm only a couple of chapters in but it's pretty good so far. I looked at the link and I may just try behind the back in the Remora for skirts but dresses are still a different story.

LMB531

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:50:31 PM »
Hi,

if I am wearing a skirt or dress that just simply doesn't afford me to wear a traditional holster, I carry in my purse.  I have several options that fit in a small evening bag or larger framed guns that will fit in a larger purse -- depends on how formal the occasion is. 

Consider this... if you're wearing a skirt or dress that is past the knee are you really going to hike your skirt or dress up possibly revealing more than your gun to try and draw?  Probably not.  The other option is an ankle holster inside a pair of boots if that's appropriate for that outfit.  I've carried like this several times and have found it comfortable, but I still prefer carrying on my person the most. 

The one thing I will caution you on when / if you carry in your purse, is (obviously) someone stealing your purse! I like using a supertuck holster when I can't wear something baggy or a cover garment.  I have found that I can still usually wear something that is snug (not tight) and no one notices.  My most frequent carry gun is a Glock 32 .357 in a supertuck. 

The only other option I've used twice and haven't done so more frequently because i felt like a total nerd was my .380 has a small pouch style holster that looks like a cell phone case.  I've worn that on my belt and no one gave me a second glance. 

Whatever your choice is, PRACTICE!!!!  If you decide to use a thigh holster, know how far you'll have to hike things up, what it feels like, etc before you go out the door.  A small of the back holster works if you're wearing a skirt I've found.

Just my two cents!

Moosie (aka Rebecca)

Thanks Moosie! Like you said, the idea of someone grabbing my purse with a loaded gun in it is slightly more anxiety-provoking then finding a good holster option. Also, most of the purses I've seen are pretty unsightly (no offense) and not something that I would choose to carry. Plus I would feel a lot more confident knowing that it's on my person, as you said, then having to fumble with a bag or risk dropping my purse in a scuffle and not being able to access my firearm.

If in wearing a thigh holster, the need arises for me to pull out my weapon I think two things: A) the criminal thinks "holy feces! That chick just pulled her skirt up!!" and gets distracted and B) it's my life and a little modesty won't stop me from saving it.

I'm totally fine with practicing and do so often. I am just afraid if I order a custom thigh holster that if I hate it, then I can't return it but obviously I'll look into that before I purchase one.

Any further thoughts?

John

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:26:15 AM »
http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=28

Try this ladies forum, you might get a few more ideas.  Good luck

LMB531

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=28

Try this ladies forum, you might get a few more ideas.  Good luck

Thanks John!! I'll check it out.

Pete D.---

• NRA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »
I've seen this chick on Youtube- except for her super sqeaky vioce, it seems like she may have some good ideas for you- good luck, Pete D.---

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography#p/u/34/ogGBPVk5GQk
"This food fights back!" Myke Hawke Peirce

LMB531

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:06 PM »
I've seen this chick on Youtube- except for her super sqeaky vioce, it seems like she may have some good ideas for you- good luck, Pete D.---

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography#p/u/34/ogGBPVk5GQk

She's actually one of my favorites and that's where I got the idea of the garter style thigh holster. It just seems a little "hollywood" to me but I may just have to give it a try.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:54 PM »
I know that Stephanie from Red Jacket Firearms is working on a woman's line.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.