Author Topic: new to ccw  (Read 11878 times)

mominde

new to ccw
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »
Hello, I am getting ready to sumbit my ccw application.  I've learned alot from many of the posts on here.  Thank you all for your open candid posts!  Any advice would be appreciated!  =)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: new to ccw
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Welcome to the club Mominde.
Good luck with your application.
New Castle County

Willie 848

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:04 AM »
Welcome, to the club I'm a newbie also . I have been waiting since early Jan. and not looking for my permit until sometime in March or April. I'm sharping up my skills by going to the range and practicing my dry firing. And not sitting around doing nothing but sharping up until my permit come.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »
Welcome aboard to both newbies.

May you have the gun you need, and then never need it.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Willie 848

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:01:48 AM »
What does report to moderator mean and is that done. ( help )

Wickedrex

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
I believe that is used in the case a post is extremely offensive or needs immediate attention of the moderators for the site.  Brings that particular post and member to the mods attention so action can be taken such as removing the post or a message to the member.  You are not in trouble or need to check in.   ;D
--Jay--

Willie 848

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »
Thanks I'm just trying to figure out how all this works.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
Welcome aboard to both newbies.

May you have the gun you need, and then never need it.

What OGG said and practice, practice, practice.

Be safe!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Capnball

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »
Mominde - Welcome, as a newbie myself, I can completely agree, there is much to learn and this is the right place to get a great education on all things concealed carry. I've found the folks here very willing to help get you through the hoops to your permit and help you weed through the pros and cons of getting good equipment for your carry. May your wait for the permit be short!

rusirius

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »
Hello, I am getting ready to sumbit my ccw application.  I've learned alot from many of the posts on here.  Thank you all for your open candid posts!  Any advice would be appreciated!  =)

The best advice I can give is to do your research when it comes to taking the class.  There are plenty of places out there unfortunately that will stand you 5 yards from a paper target and tell you to shoot 100 rounds at it, and that's it (other than the classroom portion which is usually about the same level).  On the other hand, there are others out there who teach the course that take it very seriously and give you lots of drills and information that can really make a difference if you find yourself in a situation where you need to rely on your weapon.  Interestingly, in my neck of the woods (down south) I found that one of the cheapest options I had was actually one of the best! 

mominde

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
@rusirius, would you have suggestions of any in the kent county area?  I have looked at a few, but nothing sticking out yet.  I wanted to gather all the paperwork before I signed up for the class.  Just waiting on one more ref.  Thanks

calee13

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
@mominde........I'm in northern Kent and I used TRINtac in Middletown. I selected them because their classes were two consecutive days and held on weekends. I like to get er done and not go thru several weeks of night classes. I can't say that they are any better/worse than the others but I thought they were more than adequate.

rusirius

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »
@rusirius, would you have suggestions of any in the kent county area?  I have looked at a few, but nothing sticking out yet.  I wanted to gather all the paperwork before I signed up for the class.  Just waiting on one more ref.  Thanks

I wish I could, but unfortunately I don't know anything about the guys up north.  The classroom portion is pretty much going to be the same, it's the range time you really want to make sure you maximize... Maybe call around and just ask what types of things you'll be doing during the range portion...  About the best I can do for you is describe a little bit about my own class that I was EXTREMELY pleased with...

The class consisted of a single day... It started first thing in the morning and was about 4 or 4 1/2 hours of classroom time.  At the conclusion of the class was a written test then a short break for lunch.  After was followed by another 4 or 5 hours of range time.  The range time included a LOT of hands on instruction, tips, hints, etc... It started off with the basics of drawing from concealment focusing on the best balance of speed vs. accuracy.  Then it moved on to more complex scenarios.  Multiple targets, magazine changes, cover and concealment, misfire drills (i.e. tap-rack-bang, etc), clearing jams, movement, etc...  In other words, one drill might start with standing 1 ft away from the target, drawing from the holster and rotating up (while keeping the weapon at your side for best retention ability) and firing at the target followed by moving back (putting distance between you and target) while taking follow up shots, etc.  Or perhaps drawing from concealment, firing two shots into target A, ducking behind cover doing a magazine change followed by two shots into target B.  A lot of target transitioning drills, etc...

On the other hand, a friend of mine who took his course at a different place was LITERALLY stood in front of a single target and told to shoot 100 rounds into it.  That was it... Nothing else at all.

So like I said, just give the places you are considering a call and ask a lot of questions about the range portion... Ask how much they will work with you individually, what types of drills they'll be having you do, etc... Just try to get a sense of what you'll come away from the course with...

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
rusirius it sounded like you took your training with Marino in Lincoln.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

rusirius

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »
rusirius it sounded like you took your training with Marino in Lincoln.

Sure did!  ;)