Author Topic: new to ccw  (Read 11879 times)

Wickedrex

Re: new to ccw
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:01 PM »
The problem we have up north in NCC as for the range portion of the course is the ranges themselves.  We have no "real" outdoor range and of the two or three public places to shoot, none can be rented solely for a class's use.  There is no real estate up here for a trainer to have a class with extensive live fire drills or holster draw drills.  Everyone up here is at the mercy of the three local public ranges (Ommelanden, Target Masters or Elk neck) and more importantly to their safety regulations or rules.  One major rule they all have is no holstered weapons.  The only place you could do some decent gun training up here would be private property (yeah right!) or a private club like DE State Pistol Club but no one I know runs a course from that facility.  You have a better chance of seeing Jesus than shooting on private property north of the canal without someone calling the authorities on you!  Especially handgun.  That is unless you are part of the possible 1% that may have an in somewhere or know someone that can get away with shooting on their property.  And if you feel you are that privileged, I still say shoot at you own risk.

I took my class with First State Firearms Training and we did our shooting at Ommelanden.  While it was very basic, we did do a few things that was new to me or things I never really thought to practice.  I did quite a bit of point shooting and few shots with instinctive shooting (not much instinctive because the range officers get nervous when they see shooting not done from a traditional normal stance).  I also did a bit of one handed shooting with each of my hands.  I've been shooting most of my life and never really thought to practice left handed shooting.  As for holstered stuff, I've been just practicing at home with an unloaded weapon in front of a mirror or with my wife watching.  Learning proper grip/hand orientation and learning to "squeeze" the trigger is other things you can do without firing a shot.  Just get snap caps if you are gonna dry fire the weapon.  If you are slightly proficient with a firearm, you can do a whole lot on your own.  I do want to do an advanced course but looks like I'm going to have drive a bit to do that.  I felt that the course I took was very in depth and very well explained though when it came to the classroom portion.  The course is really just fundamentals but like everyone always says, practice makes perfect.  My advice is take a course and get as much as you can out of it but never stop practicing.  Practice, practice, practice......

--Jay--

CMF

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »
Here too. How nice to draw and draw and reload and move and cover and... Paper punching gets very boring after 50.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

monty_gootee

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:36 AM »
i have researched trin tac its located in middle town they seem to be really into training for the best. they use the nra, dsp, and military officers. i really think it would be one of the more andvanced training course. it is a ride for those in the sussex county area but pretty sure well worth it. they are charging 295 for the course 2, 8 hours classes sat and sun. i am really excited can hardly wait. if you havent yet descided i would look them up and do some research. well good luck to you hope you find the course you feel more comfortable with

mominde

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 11:42:45 PM »
Well....2 months later but I have finally finished the process and am now just waiting!  There were a few delays since my husband and I did this all together and scheduling was a hassle.  But turned it all in on 4/20.  We shall see how long Kent County takes!

mominde

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:39 AM »
Happy Independence Day to me!  My permit came in the mail on July 3rd.  I turned everything in on 4/20 and found it in the mail Tuesday.  Curious though, I turned my husband's paper work in the same day and no news on his...

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »
@mominde........I'm in northern Kent and I used TRINtac in Middletown. ....

Based on what a lady I know said about them, I'm not impressed.  She took one of the "advanced"
classes - OK....  She said they had her lay flat on her back, legs straight up in the air spread apart and
shooting between them!  She was telling another TC and I this, and we just looked at each other in
amazement.  He asked, "You were flat on your back like you were getting ______".  She said, YES.

Lady went on to say, "I checked them out and the BIO said they were NRA Instructors".  I'm sure
they could be.  I am a NRA TC (I train instructors) and I can tell you NOWHERE in my syllabuses
can I find that tactic.

Once you commit to having a firearm as a part of your personal defense, I'd recommend thinking
about taking Personal Protection Inside the Home (PPITH) and Personal Protection Outside the Home (PPOTH).
In PPOTH there is a lot of holster work as well as using barricades.

The above is nothing more than my opinion.

--------------------------------------

And mominde, CONGRATS on the CCDW!
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »
... There is no real estate up here for a trainer to have a class with extensive live fire drills or holster draw drills. ... DE State Pistol Club but no one I know runs a course from that facility.

At time NRA classes are offered at DSPC.  Basic Pistol several times a year.  I think once or twice a year PPITH and PPOTH.

If you want more info on content: http://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseCatalog.aspx
If you want to find a course: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »
As for holstered stuff, I've been just practicing at home with an unloaded weapon in front of a mirror or with my wife watching.  Learning proper grip/hand orientation and learning to "squeeze" the trigger is other things you can do without firing a shot.  Just get snap caps if you are gonna dry fire the weapon.  If you are slightly proficient with a firearm, you can do a whole lot on your own.

This is going to sound odd but.....  After your dry fire exercises, put your gun down and get away form it for about 30 minutes BEFORE reloading. WHY?!?  You've just spent 30 minutes or so practicing. Rack, click. Rack, click. Rack, click.  You're developing muscle memory.  Dont want to reload and have a rack, BANG!