Author Topic: Flyfishing Chest Pack that can CCW  (Read 12923 times)

chriswalrath

• NRA Lifetime Member - Delaware CCW Holder
Flyfishing Chest Pack that can CCW
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:21 AM »
I like to tie one on every now and then.  No, not a beer, though I am not adverse to a convivial ale from time to time.

I refer to the frustrating and psychosis-inducing pasttime of flyfishing.  I love standing in the early morning shallows as the sun begins its lumbersome climb to the heavens with nothing but the sounds of lightly gurgling water and the whiz of a flyline passing my ear.  It is very relaxing, contrary to popular belief.  And a very fine pursuit, casting near perfection.  A fly alighting the water's surface in hopes that a fish will rise.

So, lately, I have begun to wonder how I might incorporate CCW with one of my favorite ways to spend down time.  I was invited by my brother in law to attend a flyfishing expo in Lancaster, PA on the 18th past (Feb).  I only wanted to go along, see what there was to see.  We walked around, admiring the dexterity of the tiers, observing the demonstrations of professional casting instructors.  One took the three foot end segment from a rod and commenced to casting fifty foot of line with it to show that it is all about rythym, not power.  Amazing.

As I strolled amongst the vendors, a chest pack caught my eye.  So, I heft it up, lightweight.  I hold it to my chest.  Hmm, seems as though it would be accessible enough.  I strap it on.  Not constricting.  I look through the compartments, unzipping them.  Then it occurs to me that this bag would be very good to carry my pistol as it would allow me to easily draw from my chest in front of me directly to a high ready position.  So, I take a photo of it on my cell and proceed to try out numerous other bags.  But none fit the bill like the first.  So, when I got home, I ordered for one and when it arrived it performs just as I hoped it would.

It is the William Joseph Old School Chest pack and the link to it is located below.  It is light weight.  Holds two small fly boxes in the front pouch.  The back pouch would be good enough to hold my wallet, my cell, a reel and a spare spool and also my XD40 in a flexible mesh pouch.  All held snugly to my chest.  All within a moments easy reach. And I am a, how shall we say this, a hefty fellow.  And this bag's straps reach around my torso, with not much room to spare, but it does not constrict.  There are extra mesh pouches, one on each side of the main bag.  The waist/torso strap has padding against the pack that houses a small zipper compartment big enough to hold a drivers license and/or some cash for safe keeping.  Oh, and you CCDW permit.  The neck strap is padded and very comfortable.

So, I thought I would pass this along for those others of us who may cast a fly into the air with high hopes.  Also to make those of you who have other pursuits, to make you think about how you can incorporate concealed carry into your routine with minimum disruption.  Now, about that seldom-had ale . . .

http://www.williamjoseph.net/products/product_6.aspx

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:14:01 AM by chriswalrath »
I, Christopher Walrath, do solemnly swear to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, so help me God.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice for al

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Flyfishing Chest Pack that can CCW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:22 AM »
Makes me think about tangling some line and killing a day the right way.  I am concerned about what waters are listed as fish and game management areas in DE. Some of the stocked trout ponds come to mind but I haven’t asked yet.  Does anyone else know?
Proud resident of Kent County DE