Author Topic: "The reason"  (Read 3595 times)

firedawg11

"The reason"
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
I have browsed around the forum for a couple days now and have not seen any kind of helpful guide on the "reason" section of filling out the permit application.  Is there a helpful list somewhere and I'm missing it?

I was often wondering about using something along the lines of "exercising my rights and freedoms as guaranteed under the second amendment to the United States Constitution".  But I figured they would poopoo that. 
Be polite with all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before giving them your confidence.
~ George Washington

SweetPete

Re: "The reason"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
Funny, Im sitting at the DMV and was thinking the same thing before I read this. I'm an American and it is my right. What gets me is it is up to a judge to decide. Dont understand why a law abiding citizen would be denied.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
Since Delaware is a "Open Carry" state judges feel you really don't need a CCDW permit to protect you at home.  Also Delaware is a "may issue" state as far as the judge issuing a permit.  So as the instructor at my CCDW training course said, you have to be creative in you justifying the need for a permit.  Being a senior, I quoted current statistics on crime against seniors, and the fact that I live on a country road where there were no police close to me. We get "night visitors" wanting to "use the phone" 'borrow gas", or "looking for jumper cables" a lot.
The odd thing is in Delaware if you carry (legal) open in, let's say the summer, with a pistol on your hip it's okay. But when winter comes and you have to wear a coat, that would cover the pistol, it's illegal, because if becomes a concealed weapon. This would mean in the winter you would have to wear you pistol on the outside of your coat (legal) but silly looking.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Capnball

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:15:52 AM »
"The reason" has become somewhat of a point of confusion. It is my understanding that up until a few years ago the statement "for the protection of person, property or both" as the State constitution reads, was sufficient. Now, they want an applicant to tell them in detail exactly why they, personally, feel a need to protect themselves. Which is why the form says "be specific" with regards to your purpose. One would think that  even a casual glance at the local newspaper on any given day would be enough; even without our State and Federal Constitutions expressed reasons. Common sense would be another, but then again, we are speaking of government. I've heard that some new applicants have used, "for the protection of person, property or both" and have been rejected; while others that are renewing their permits have used it, and it is accepted with no problem. It could be that it is dependent on the person reviewing the application. My instructor suggested to me that I use the fact that I am a firearms instructor, often transporting firearms, and that I frequently must travel to and from the office where I work at odd, and often night time hours. I think most of us could come up with reasons to give them that are frequent and truthful in their scenarios, but like you, I question the need to do so. We have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It is difficult to exercise those concepts if one lives in constant fear of criminals or worse, has become the helpless victim of a miscreant, and is no longer able to even pursue life itself.

CMF

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:55:42 AM »
Start a new trend in wintertime Newark outerwear but Clint's posture would be more fitting for Rehoboth:
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
For self defense of person and family.  Anything else may get truned down or have limitations.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith