Author Topic: Portable Gun Safe  (Read 55665 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Portable Gun Safe
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
I just decided to buy a lockable portable gun safe for my vehicle. I shopped around and decide on one made bu a company called Gun Vault. I originall saw it on a Walmart web site. You can order it on-line only. Not carried in stores. I ended up buying on Amazon, at a cost of under $30.00 including shipping. It is made of 20ga. steel with foam lining inside. I decide on the key lock version as it takes longer to open with the combination version. It also comes with a 1500 lb. test steel cable that can be used to secure it in your vehicle. It is fairly light and can be used to ship pistol on airline, as it meets FAA specs. I suggest making sure you get the V200 mosel that fits everything up to a 1911 automatic. It can also be used to lock up cell phones, money, jewelry, gps, etc.
in you vehicle, RV, or boat.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Bmel17

Re: Portable Gun Safe
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
I have a similar vault myself.  It comes in quite handy! I have the combo version so I don't ever lose the key.  I also have 2 steel security locks in my Jeep too.  It's nice having three choices to lock up my firearm though. 

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »
I also have the Gun Vault brand Nano vault, keyed. I find it to be cheaply built with loose tolerances, but adequate. The first one I bought had a busted weld on the inner lip. They did replace it. I used it to lock my gun in my luggage when traveling on Southwest to FL. Worked fine.
New Castle County

Rabbit

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »
i have this bolted under my driver seat

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14114_0001_07.htm

it fits my Glocks perfectly, but i guess it only works if your a jeep owner   

Bmel17

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:19:10 AM »
Rabbit, I have the glove box and center cosole in steel too.  Gotta love the all the stuff they put out for Jeeps don't you?!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
Rabbit, what size glock
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Rabbit

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:31:37 AM »
It's a Glock 23 gen 4

firedawg11

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
I really wish they would make one for my F-150 with console gear shift.  I don't understand why they couldn't if they make one just a little smaller.
Be polite with all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before giving them your confidence.
~ George Washington

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:42 PM »
Firedawg11
I have a F-150 also but column shift. I think it is odd that Ford doesen't have locks on the console or glove box. I have the larger Nono Vault, big enough for a 1911. I keep it in the pocket on the back of the seat and strap the cable to the seat mounts. You may want to check an see if the measurements on their vaults will allow you to put it inside your console. 

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

firedawg11

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »
Should've said column shift
Be polite with all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before giving them your confidence.
~ George Washington

firedawg11

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
Good news for us F-150 guys with column shifters. I contacted them and got the following reply:

Subject: F-150 console vault

We have the design for that vault in production now it will take approx. 2-4 weeks before it is ready to sell.

Sincerely,
Console Vault
~ George Washington

CMF

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:19 AM »
How do you handle the firearm removal from concealment and stowing away in the vault? Do you ask passengers to exit first? Do you unload the firearm before lock up? Do you aim the firearm at the floor whilst unloading? Do you park away from other vehicles during the process? The safest location is in the @@@@ holster where it belongs but the wisdom of the legal system knows best  ::) Rob Pincus in an advertisement shows him standing outside the vehicle, unloading in the open and locking up. What a great advertisement to others that is. I am extremely careful to withdraw from CC holster and place the loaded firearm (one in the pipe) into glove box but it's getting so very old.
CMF
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
http://www.mobileofficedesk.com/console-vault-1020-truck-safes

Check this out...think I got one of these for Christmas. Dont know for sure.
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »
I perfer to keep my gun vault in the big pocket on the back of the drivers seat in my truck. When I put my pistol in the vault, I always check to see if there are other people around. After that I just open the rear door place the vault on the floor and put my gun in it and lock it. Then put it in a concealed area in the back seat area. Usually it's just my wife and I. I always carry with a full mag and one in the chamber here in Delaware. If I go into MD. I put the pistol in the vault in back and the ammo in the console.  Some times if I'm out on a Sunday ride, we may end up in MD., and have no carry permit there, so the gun and ammo have to be in 2 different areas of the vehicle.
As a matter of safety. I always have gun pointed at sky or ground, always.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

CMF

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
I perfer to keep my gun vault in the big pocket on the back of the drivers seat in my truck.

Perfect! I drive a crew cab so I can lockup in the drivers seat by reaching around for the box then slide it into the passenger seat pouch. Great price also.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams