Author Topic: Accidental Showing While Concealed Carrying  (Read 16561 times)

fdegree

Accidental Showing While Concealed Carrying
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
As I understand it, in Delaware, you can open carry anytime without any kind of permit...conceal carry only if you have a permit.  Also, CCW permit holders are not restricted from open carrying.  So this leads me to a question:
Is there a legal problem with a CCW permit holder carrying concealed, but having some sort of wardrobe malfunction that exposes the weapon (wind blows your jacket open, reaching up for something causing your shirt to ride up, etc.)?
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Accidental Showing While Concealed Carrying
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »
No there is no law that would come into play just remember some one may freak and call the police.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

fdegree

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:20:11 PM »
Thanks...I appreciate the response!!!
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:55 AM »
Don't worry about someone calling the cops. It's YOUR right! Either carry in the open or get a permit and carry conealed.
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
Just remeber that you do have the right to carry, if someone sees your gun and they call the police the police are going to be very cautious until everything is sorted out and you may be asked to leave by management.

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
Don't worry about someone calling the cops. It's YOUR right! Either carry in the open or get a permit and carry conealed.

Let me clarify. First, I am not some wacko who 'accidentally' shows someone their gun. I would rather not have the attention. If ever questioned by the police, I would be very courteous and never have an attitude. I would respect the police officer's demands.
You DO have the right to carry. If this ever happens, be courteous and never give anyone the opportunity to accuse you.
Other than that, don't worry about it. Practice what you might say.
If the cop demands your weapon for them to run it, give it to him peacefully but under protest. File a complaint afterwards.
I imagine one of us will get 'busted' carrying someday. When that happens, share your experience as to help others know what to expect.
When I get a chance, I will post a video of what happened in NH when the police noticed someone 'open carrying' along the street.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »
 Just food for thought.....Yes it is our "right to carry" but it is still a right that was given to us through an application process and background check. It is a right that may be rescinded at the discretion of the superior court of Delaware, so long as Delaware is a "shall issue" state. If your gun shows, it shows, but make sure your respectfull of the person it shows to. Don't look at them and tell them to mind their own business or be snotty with them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:28:36 PM by GunEnvy »
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »
Here it is, but this guy, on my opnion is a looser:
Your right G19 this guy is a loser. Looks like that whole group walks around trying to get harrased so that they can complain about it. IMO those are the people that give all gun owners a bad name.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( These guys are dicks they were looking for trouble. The Officer asked for his ID ansd he had to be a dick. These are the type of people who make the rest of us look bad. If and officer wants your ID give it to him whats the big deal. This group seems to me to be trouble makers.

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:35:37 PM »
This was the video. Yes, this man appears to be some kind of loser BUT, was he right? It is still a right to carry... whether 'the law' acknoledges it or not.

And yes, this is an example of NOT how to act to plice officers.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »
I truly believe that it should be lawful for a police office to stop anyone who they suspect (or see) of carrying a gun. I don't believe they are violating anybody's right. I would not mind AT ALL to be stopped and asked if I am carrying a gun and having my ID checked if I am a criminal or not. AND, honestly, I would feel much safer if there was a law permitting law enforcement to do such things. What if that genius was a person with mental problems, or have a serious criminal record???

I actually think that everyone should have a license, background checked, to be able to carry open and / or concealed.
I understand what you mean G19 but there are alot of problems with police stopping people that open carrying. What about the first time an officer does not see somebody carrying and does not stop them but somebody of a particular race or religion gets asked for ID. Then that department and that officer will be under fire for discrimination. And even if somebody has mental problems there is no way to know it simply by running their ID. Remember this winter all the hub bub with DSP doing just that?

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
The fourth amendment is in place for a reason.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
As far as stopping any and everybody no, but if you are approached for a reason and yes I think open carry could be a reason and asked for ID you should have to present your ID why not if your doing nothing wrong then why worry. I also feel they sould run the serial number of the gun to make sure its not stollen, no different then running your plates. Hey if my gun was stollen I would want it back.

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »
You are correct, it is there for a reason - "... to guard against unreasonable searches and seizures..." - I am not advocating searches and seizures, I am advocating giving the rights to police officers to identify you and see if you have the ability (clean records and license) to carry a firearm.

The fourth amendment is in place for a reason.

I totally disagree. If you are stopped for no reason, you are being 'searched'.
The national database issue is, in my opinion, absurd. If they know who has guns and how many, they are capable of taking those guns away.
This has happened in other countries. Research how long the guns bans in various places have been in effect and how these governments retrieved those guns. Don't think it can't happen here.
Guns are the reason why we are as free as we are. The second amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others.
Listen, we all have our views; some more liberal than others, some more conservative. I don't want to lose my right to own/carry a gun. It's my only protection. To rely on the police is naive. 911 is nothing more than government sponsored dial-a-prayer.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 08:17:41 PM »
Let me start off by saying that I am not one of these people that belive in "gun cops" that will come knocking on my door demaning my guns.
Having said that the last thing we need as gun owners is for a national registration. Check out this site for some food for thought. http://www.gunlaws.com/gunreggie.htm Stopping somebody on the street that is open carrying and checking their ID to make sure they aren't wanted is one thing, but what exactly have they done wrong? They are abiding by the law and carrying a gun in plain sight. Can an officer pull you over for doing the speed limit and check to make sure your not a fugitive? How about if they come into your house and check to make sure your 54" HD plasma isn't stolen? Lets face it, the gang banger with the stolen gun with 4 lives on it is not carrying that gun in plain sight in a $75 holster. He has it jammed in his waistband or a coat pocket so he can ditch it and leave no eveidence that he ever had a gun. As gun owners I think we need to be carefull what restrictions we allow to be put on ourselves because they can only lead to more.