Author Topic: Senators Thune and Vitter Introduce Reciprocity Bill  (Read 12697 times)

calee13

Senators Thune and Vitter Introduce Reciprocity Bill
« on: March 21, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
Senators Thune and Vitter Introduce Reciprocity Bill with more than 25 Cosponsors

Today, Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) introduced legislation to recognize national reciprocity for gun owners who can legally carry concealed firearms in the state where they reside.

The Thune-Vitter bill, S. 2213, was introduced with a huge show of support. Twenty-nine Senators sponsored or cosponsored the bill, and this is, in large part, thanks to you! Because of all your efforts over the last week, the following Senators signed on in support of the legislation:

Ayotte (NH), Barrasso (WY), Boozman (AR), Burr (NC), Chambliss (GA), Coburn (OK), Cochran (MS), Cornyn (TX), Crapo (ID), DeMint (SC), Enzi (WY), Graham (SC), Grassley (IA), Hatch (UT), Inhofe (OK), Isakson (GA), Ron Johnson (WI), Lee (UT), Lugar (IN), McConnell (KY), Paul (KY), Portman (OH), Risch (ID), Rubio (FL), Sessions (AL), Thune (SD), Toomey (PA) Vitter (LA) and Wicker (MS).
This bill, the Respecting States’ Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, treats concealed carry as a RIGHT belonging to the people – not a privilege granted by the government.

“Rather than establish a national standard, our bill will ensure that law-abiding citizens are able to carry concealed firearms while at the same time respecting the laws of the respective states they visit,” said Sen. Thune.

The Thune-Vitter bill provides national recognition for concealed carry permit holders (who have obtained one from their home states), but it also recognizes the right to carry for residents of Constitutional Carry states (where no permit is required).

This is a huge win for gun owners! Constitutional Carry is currently the law in five states, and more than a dozen states have legislation to move in that direction.

A competing bill, S. 2188, offers reciprocity ONLY for permit holders -- and thus it would prevent many gun owners, who can legally carry in their home states, from carrying firearms when they travel out-of-state. This compromise bill, sponsored by anti-gun Senate Democrats Mark Begich (AK), Joe Manchin (WV) and Max Baucus (MT), would deal a severe blow to the momentum we have in passing Constitutional Carry at the state level.

It is crucial that Senators support the Constitutional Carry-friendly bill, and to oppose any efforts to weaken the Thune-Vitter legislation.

ACTION: Contact your Senators right away. Thank those who have sponsored S. 2213. If your Senators have not yet cosponsored, please urge them to do so … and to stay off of the Begich-Manchin bill.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Senators Thune and Vitter Introduce Reciprocity Bill
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
After reading both bills, I perfer the Begich-Manchin bill S 2188, personally. Sorry.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
Well you've expressed your opinion here, time to let our elected officials know how you think.

MAYBE if enough of us start chattering in their ear, they will hear us.

(Yes, I already did)  ;D
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
Me too.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:32:50 AM »
Good. Thank you.

Hopefully it will do some good.
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

John75

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
After reading both bills, I perfer the Begich-Manchin bill S 2188, personally. Sorry.
Where did you find the bill?  I've been looking for it.

John75

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »
I found the 2213 text posted this morning:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.2213:

To me this sounds like the better bill.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »
I'm probably reading this incorrectly...

`(2) an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and is entitled and not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm in the State in which the individual resides otherwise than as described in paragraph (1), may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce in any State other than the State of residence of the individual that--

Does this line say a VT resident can carry in any state (IL , DC exception is next line) EXCEPT VT? 

I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
I'm probably reading this incorrectly...

`(2) an individual who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and is entitled and not prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm in the State in which the individual resides otherwise than as described in paragraph (1), may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce in any State other than the State of residence of the individual that--

Does this line say a VT resident can carry in any state (IL , DC exception is next line) EXCEPT VT? 

I read it as in addition to the state of residence.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
Wow, there is getting to be quite a discussion between the S2188 and S 2213 and the thoughts on that subjetct between the NRA and the GOA (Gun Owners of America) Organizations.

NRA backs S 2188
GOA backs S 2213

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?260195-GOA-Vs-NRA-carry-bill&p=2086181

As a member of the NRA, I think I will stick with them though.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 06:23:32 PM »
Wow, there is getting to be quite a discussion between the S2188 and S 2213 and the thoughts on that subjetct between the NRA and the GOA (Gun Owners of America) Organizations.

NRA backs S 2188
GOA backs S 2213

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?260195-GOA-Vs-NRA-carry-bill&p=2086181

As a member of the NRA, I think I will stick with them though.

I will embrace either one, that will be a great day when I no longer need to disarm when going to another state.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
Carpers' reply....

April 3, 2012

Dear Mr. Radnor:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act . I appreciate hearing from you on this important matter.

Let me begin by saying that I am a supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and I believe that law-abiding citizens have the right to bear and own arms. I have a long family history with firearms. My ancestors were craftsmen who developed a firearm known as the Carper rifle 150 years ago in West Virginia. My father was an avid outdoorsman and gun collector. I am a gun owner myself, and have sought to ensure that my sons' training and preparation to become Eagle Scouts included an introduction to firearms.

As you may know, on February 18, 2011, Representative Cliff Stearns (R-FL) introduced H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. The legislation would allow states to recognize concealed carry permits issued by other states. This legislation would require permit holders to abide by the laws of the permit issuing state.  On November 16, 2011, the House of Representatives passed H.R. 822 by a vote of 272 to 154 and it has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee for further consideration.

One prominent member of the House Judiciary Committee, and former California Attorney General, Congressman Dan Lungren (R-CA) voted against H.R. 822. He explained that the legislation is "a clash of two interests: Second Amendment rights and the 10 th  Amendment authority. I think it's a states' rights issue". New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R-NY) echoed these concerns, saying "States and cities across the country have always had the authority to decide whether some people are just too dangerous to carry a loaded, hidden gun in public. This bill would take away that authority and force states to allow out-of-state permit holders who have records of domestic violence, have certain misdemeanor convictions, or haven't completed  basic gun safety training to carry loaded guns in public. When it comes to public safety, Congress has no business telling, states, cities and police how to do their jobs."

As you know, Senator Mark Begich (D-AK) introduced S. 2188, the Senate version of the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, on March 13, 2012. This legislation is currently pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

As you mentioned in your correspondence, Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) introduced S. 2213, the Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, on March 20, 2012. This legislation would not only force states to recognize the concealed carry permits of other states, it would also force states to recognize the right to carry a concealed weapon for residents of states where no permit is required.  This legislation has also been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee for further review.

With that said, should the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act or the  Respecting States Rights and Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act come before the full Senate, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or other matters of importance to you.

With best personal regards, I am

Sincerely,

Tom Carper
United States Senator

calee13

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:55 AM »
 ??? Yeah Radnor, I received the same email today. A lot of words to reiterate everything we already knew, everything that is, except his position and where he stands. >:(

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 01:33:44 AM »
Tom Carper from ontheissue.org

Opposes absolute right to gun ownership. (Sep 2000)
Voted NO on allowing firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains. (Apr 2009)
Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership. (Sep 2007)
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology. (Aug 2000)
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
I knew where he stood.  Just wanted to voice my concerns.  Maybe if enough of us did the same, he'd hear us.

And in the 2nd P, if his ancestors were still alive in WVa, they'd take him behind the feces house and beat the crap out of him for his voting record.