Author Topic: Do You Carry at Work?  (Read 14755 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Do You Carry at Work?
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
Do you carry at work?  Why or why not?

I will start. No, I do not carry at work.  I work in a prison and it is hard to get a loaded weapon past the x-ray machine and the metal detectors.  Plus, there is that whole felony thing about taking a weapon into a prison that seems to make me not want to do it.  I do not even take it with me and leave it in my car.  I have gotten used to being able to walk out at the end of my shift. :o

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
Re: Do You Carry at Work?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:49:29 AM »

I can not carry at my full time job (but I would like to)just that my uniform leaves me no place to put a firearm
Gun control is hitting your target

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
I work at a place where it's against the law to carry. So no, I don't carry at work.
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
My company doesn't allow it but I've thought about it anyway.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »
How I wish I could. I think Taurus may disagree ;D
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

headfirst

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »
Yes, because I can.

Fire44

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »
I respectfully refuse to anwser this queston on the grounds that it may (or may not) incriminate me.   ;D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »
So, the situation came up today at work where we just fired a guy... a very weird guy... the type who gives off "I'm gonna get my gun" vibe.....    we have NO I mean absolutely NO security here.  We have doors you can open and walk right in. 

Of course, I'm not saying that I would carry while in the building -- or in my purse, (co-workers read this blog!) but I'd like to hear from others who work at facilities who have no security and does your company have anything in place to deal with folks like this when they're fired?  -- We also get no email notifiying us, etc.  Its all word of mouth. 

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 05:30:44 PM »
Moosie,
As far as where I work our Co has a strict no firearms policy, it all depends on the company and what is in your employee handbook. As far as notifying other employees I think that falls under employee confidentiality I know were not notified.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »
I think your right sig, I don't think legally a company can say that somebody was fired. I know my company always says that SO SO decided to leave the company and pursue other goals. My company does not allow firearms on the premises. I work with large amounts of cash and at early hours and every once in a while think about buying a nice little pocket gun to carry anyway. The only way they would know is if I use it, and in that case I'll be happy that I can still be fired.
But like you said moosie, I DO NOT CARRY A GUN AT WORK!!   
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:01:32 PM »
I worked at a fairly large company in Newark for 5 years.  When someone was fired, an email was ALWAYS sent out that simply said, We regret to inform you that so and so is no longer with the company.  It was more because we had roughly 850 to 1000 people on site and you werent supposed to hold the door for anyone, etc.  They said that even when people gave their 2 weeks and everyone was happy for them.  It was official and plain for everyone.

Ok, heading to the p-lot.  If you dont hear from me again, read the paper where a wacko shot the p/l up LOL.  Ok, not funny..  but just wondered how lax the security was at everyone's work place.  Ours SUCKS BUTT!

Thanks, guys. 

:)  Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 01:31:12 AM »
I can't carry at work but I wish I could get a bulletproof vest
Gun control is hitting your target

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »
Where I work they hire Security from the nursing home and issue them walkers.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »
I don’t think that it is very common for an employer to notify non-affected employees when someone is terminated.  HR, direct management, and security are normally notified of the termination, but not necessarily the reason (well, except for HR, who obviously knows why).  It sort of looks bad when a company has to fire someone, so, I think that they try to keep it under wraps.  Also, regarding the two-weeks-notice issue, it’s pretty common for them to have you leave the premises upon giving your notice.  The lucky ones get to pack their own boxes, but that is not always the case.  It’s why you want to have all of your stuff out of there before you actually give the notice.  Back-up and/or remove whatever you are lawfully allowed to, and then give your notice.  I wouldn’t leave anything there that is fragile or extremely personal, though, as – again – you may not be the one packin’ the box.  Employers often pay you for the specified period (i.e., two weeks or whatever), but in their eyes, you went from “loyal employee” to “rogue operative” or “employer terrorist.”  So, they may want you out of there before you can do any damage.

As far as carrying at work, even if it’s not in the handbook, the employer may still be able to fire you.  It’s their employee-at-will protection.  They still have rules to follow, but, it will probably be a safety issue.  The weapon may cause alarm and concern among your co-workers.  No doubt that the employer can find one or two of them that will testify or sign a statement saying that, at some time during your employment at that organization, you made some kind of gesture or comment that could now be construed as hostile or violent.  And given that potential terrorists list – it could even be because you are a veteran.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:29:13 PM by CorBon »
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."