Author Topic: How can we make an exchange from his hands to mind.  (Read 6725 times)

Willie848

How can we make an exchange from his hands to mind.
« on: March 10, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
Hello, to all forum members I have a friend who lives in Maryland has been their for about 20 years. He moved form Penna. to Salisbury MD.

And I live in Dover Delaware now, the question is he has a 9MM hand gun he wants me have is has a gift is their anything we need to do, besides me excepting it packing it up and taking it and bring it home with me to Dover.

He bought it in Penna. where it is registered at the time of purchase. How do I claim this fire arm as mind. I hope I'm clear on my question.

Thanks in advance 

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: How can we make an exchange from his hands to mind.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
I don't think it is legal to do a face-to-face transaction across state lines.

fdegree

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »
I am not sure of the legalities of a personal transaction when the firearm is going to cross state lines.  But, you can go to a licensed firearms dealer near you and talk to them about your situation.  They should be able to help you with this for a nominal fee...making it 100% legal with no worries.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:04:19 PM »
You and the seller must go to a Delaware FFL and do the transaction there.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
You and the seller must go to a Delaware FFL and do the transaction there.

I believe this to be the right way, certainly the way I would do it.

Willie848

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Thank You so much I didn't know if the exchange could be done as I said as a ( gift ). It would be better to be safe than to be sorry thanks again.

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »
The "gift" part does not enter into it, IMHO.  Your friend can "gift" it to you for a single dollar, if necessary.
It is not like a motor vehicle, where you pay taxes/fees based upon the purchase price, or a bluebook value. 
The transfer via a DE FFL is the part that satisfies the legal requirements.

Regards!
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

Willie848

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:06:27 AM »
Thanks, Siludni I'll do it by going to a Delaware FFL and have the fire arm signed over.

kimmie

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
YUP gotta go to a DE FFL ..although I took mine to a MD FFL - it did work.  I'm in DE, coworker in Salisbury MD.  We were told by some folks at Gander MTN that the State Police can do it - NOPE! Was even told from Pikesville MD that that was the way to do it and they said to turn in any names of officers that told us no.  Well 3 barracks told us no!  That's how we ended up going to an FFL.
Retired Navy Vet, Married w/2 kids.  Work in Salisbury MD.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:53 PM »
The FFL transfer fee is $35 I believe.
New Castle County

craigwill201

• NRA Business Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
private to private the max a ffl dlr can charge is $20.00.
willards gun

§ 904A. Criminal history checks for sales between unlicensed persons.

(a) For purposes of this section, "licensed firearm dealer" means any person licensed as a deadly weapons dealer pursuant to Chapter 9 of Title 24 and 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.

(b) As a condition of its license, any dealer holding a license pursuant to this chapter shall facilitate the transfer of a firearm, as that term is defined in § 222 of Title 11, from any person who is not so licensed, upon the request of said unlicensed seller pursuant to the following procedure:

(1) The prospective buyer and seller shall jointly appear at the place of business of the dealer, during said dealer's regular hours of business, and shall inform the dealer of their desire to avail themselves of the advantages of the procedure set forth herein.

(2) The dealer shall then subject the prospective buyer to a criminal history record check pursuant to the terms of § 1448A of Title 11.

(3) In the event that said record check reveals that the prospective buyer is prohibited from possessing, purchasing or owning a firearm pursuant to § 1448 of Title 11, the dealer shall so inform both parties of that fact and the transfer shall not take place.

(4) Any dealer who is asked to facilitate the transfer of a firearm pursuant to the terms of this section, may charge a reasonable fee for said service, said fee not to exceed $20 per criminal history check performed pursuant to this procedure.

(5) Failure or refusal on the part of the dealer to facilitate the transfer of a firearm pursuant to the procedures set forth herein shall be adequate cause to suspend the license of said dealer for a period not to exceed 30 days per occurrence.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:35:20 PM by craigwill201 »

craigwill201

• NRA Business Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:04 PM »
dealer to dealer if they will do it usually is around $50.

kimmie

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:07:47 PM »
private to private the max a ffl dlr can charge is $20.00.
willards gun

§ 904A. Criminal history checks for sales between unlicensed persons.

(a) For purposes of this section, "licensed firearm dealer" means any person licensed as a deadly weapons dealer pursuant to Chapter 9 of Title 24 and 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.

(b) As a condition of its license, any dealer holding a license pursuant to this chapter shall facilitate the transfer of a firearm, as that term is defined in § 222 of Title 11, from any person who is not so licensed, upon the request of said unlicensed seller pursuant to the following procedure:

(1) The prospective buyer and seller shall jointly appear at the place of business of the dealer, during said dealer's regular hours of business, and shall inform the dealer of their desire to avail themselves of the advantages of the procedure set forth herein.

(2) The dealer shall then subject the prospective buyer to a criminal history record check pursuant to the terms of § 1448A of Title 11.

(3) In the event that said record check reveals that the prospective buyer is prohibited from possessing, purchasing or owning a firearm pursuant to § 1448 of Title 11, the dealer shall so inform both parties of that fact and the transfer shall not take place.

(4) Any dealer who is asked to facilitate the transfer of a firearm pursuant to the terms of this section, may charge a reasonable fee for said service, said fee not to exceed $20 per criminal history check performed pursuant to this procedure.

(5) Failure or refusal on the part of the dealer to facilitate the transfer of a firearm pursuant to the procedures set forth herein shall be adequate cause to suspend the license of said dealer for a period not to exceed 30 days per occurrence.

Interesting since mine was a private to private and the FFL charges us $35.
Retired Navy Vet, Married w/2 kids.  Work in Salisbury MD.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
There is really no max or min.

I.e. they can charge $20 for the transfer, $10 for processing fee, $20 for filling fee, $20 for this, $10 for that....total for the transfer $80 - for all purposes the transfer fee is $20.