Author Topic: Concealed carry to open carry  (Read 2869 times)

SweetPete

Concealed carry to open carry
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »
If someone was to be legally carrying a concealed weapon and their shirt accidently came over the weapon, exposing it, would there be a problem other than maybe "surprising" someone? Wouldn't it then just become open carry which is legal, too? Might be a dumb question, but the reason I ask is because I read this on a Delaware CCDW permit training website. The last part about getting arrested is what I'm questioning. Thanks!

"Keep your weapon concealed at all times. It is called a "Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapon" permit for a reason- if your weapon is inadvertently displayed in public, somebody will probably call the police. The weapon should never be displayed unless you are directly engaged in the act of defending yourself. Causing alarm to the general public will get you arrested."

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Concealed carry to open carry
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:28 AM »
There is no law against "brandishing" a firearm in Delaware. It is only a problem if you commit an illegal act such as acting in a threatening manner or pointing it at someone.  With that being said, if you open carry it must be fully exposed. No IWB holsters for open carry. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SweetPete

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:59:23 AM »
Ahhh... I thought there was something there I wasn't getting. Thanks!

chriswalrath

• NRA Lifetime Member - Delaware CCW Holder
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
Also, if you have an exposed gun in an IWB then it is no longer open carry but concealed and covered by the permit. Don't know why someone might want to do that in the first place but there ya go.
I, Christopher Walrath, do solemnly swear to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, so help me God.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands one nation under God indivisible with liberty and justice for al

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:34 PM »
From the splitting hairs department:  If an LE officer has decided that my carry is in violation because it is not concealed enough (CCDW), and then argues that without the permit I am in violation because it is too concealed, then my head hurts a bunch.

People aren’t all that messed up. I'm pretty sure that my demeanor with anyone, including LE, regarding my carry is the determining factor as to where everyone stands.  I don't ever expect to be on the wrong side of LE with regard to my carry (as long as I stay out of NJ).
Proud resident of Kent County DE