Author Topic: Grip gave me a blister..  (Read 8954 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Grip gave me a blister..
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:04:09 PM »
Went to the range Sunday and shot 200 rounds through my brand new .40.  I also came away with a blister / rub boo boo on my thumb from the corner of the grip where it's "hatched".  I know that's not the proper term but my brain is fried right now. 

I've also ordered a slip on pachmeyer grip for this.  My question is, was this something I was doing, the size of my hands (not girly hands, but definitely not guy hands) or was this just par for the course with this gun.

It's a SW40VE. 

Thanks guys!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
Re: Grip gave me a blister..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »
I would have to see how the firearm fit in you hands
Gun control is hitting your target

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »
I agree with gun nut on the other hand you can let Taurus shoot it and if he doesnt have a problem shooting it its your grip. Yes Taurus has girly hands
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

gun nut

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
Ouch!

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:11:57 PM »
LOL
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
LOL.  You guys are funny. 

Well, since I'm the photographer in our family, it will be hard for me to hold the gun and the camera.  I'll see if I can employ a tripod.  I need to take pics of my collection anyway. 

I'll make sure I take a picture of the boo boo too.  LOL

Thanks, guys!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

gun nut

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »
Moosie drop me a line and we can see whst we can do for your boo boo and to stop it from happing again.

gun nut

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »
Ok, I have school tonight, so can't get the pics until tomorrow..  so I'll try and post them tomorrow after work. 

I was talking with a friend of mine who is 22nd in the nation for shooting.  He was saying that I should try tilting my support hand down at a 45 degree angle and that would help in bringing the gun back close to the original position faster.  He thinks i wasnt gripping tight enough.  BUT.. without being able to bring my gun to work to show him...  he's in the same boat as you guys! LOL.  So, I'll get the pics and send when I can. 

Been a LONG time since I shot. I loved the smell of the range!! WHOOO HOOOOOOOO   ;D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
Ok, had a moment to go back and grip my gun.  It's NOT the checkering on the grip... it's (and yeah.. forgive me since I don't know what the proper term is for it) the piece that comes back over your hand where the slide comes back.  When I went back and looked at my gun, I can see "stuff" on there that matches up with my boo boo.  SO... I think that it was partly my grip (or lack thereof) and the fact that I havent shot in a million years.  If I had gripped a little tighter maybe this wouldn't have happened?  I'll still post pics.. just havent had a chance to get all this done. 

thanks,

Moosie

gun nut

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
If you can snap a picture of your gun I think we can probably come up with a solution

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
Mossie, which thumb has the boo boo? If its your right, you may let it creep up close to the slide why firing. If its your left, again maybe your letting it creep up over you firing hand onto the slide.

gun nut

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »
Mossie, Are you still haveing a problem with your firearm?

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
Gun Envy, yes, my right thumb had the boo boo...  its not from the slide though..  it's from the little part that hangs off the back that supports the slide. 

And Gun Nut.. I wish I knew.  I'm out of "range ammo".  Once I get some more, I'll let you know!

gun nut

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 07:58:19 PM »
ok cool

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 12:05:02 AM »
Moosie, might be that the gun is rocking back and rubbing on your thumb. Maybe try a "higher" grip on the gun and hold abit tighter.