Author Topic: Cinema shooting in Aroura Colorada  (Read 15891 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Cinema shooting in Aroura Colorada
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
What a tradgety. 12 people killed and approx. 40 wounded in the midnight showing of the new "Batman" movie. I received a email today from the Gun Owners of America stating that the Anti-Gun Lobby and Anti- Gun politicians are on the warpath all ready about this incidence, claiming that guns should be banned all over. I found out that this theater is a "Gun Free Zone" meaning no one is allowed to carry, even with a CCW permit, in that theater. I guess the killer knew that, and felt he was safe from some one shooting him. There he was armed to the hilt, and not one person in that theater could do a @@@@ thing to defend themselves or others.
Groups like the Brady Campaign saying that this was just another mass killing because people were allowed to buy guns. New York Mayor Bloomberg was breaking his neck to get to a microphone to make negative comments about gun ownership. Piers Morgan himself and guest were denouncing gun ownership. Hillary Clinton Barack Obama and eric Holder are trying to get the UN Gun Ban Treaty brought to America so the Democrat controlled US Senate can ratify it as we speak.
Our of all the people in that theater, not one person was able to bring this guy down and save dozens. I recalled that just about a week ago a story about a pair that came into an internet cafe in Florida weilding guns attempting to rob the place, possibly killing patrons, and a 60 something senoir, Samuel Willianson, armed with his own Legal Concealed Carry pistol fired and shot one criminal in the @@@, and ran the other one off and saved anyone from being harmed in the cafe.
Shamefully, there was no Samuel Williamson in the theater in Aroura Colorado last night, able to save those 12 young people that died, or the 40 plus wounded. 
The attacker just stood there and fired, and fired, and fired at will, with out fear for his own life. because it was a "Gun Free Zone".

I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Cinema shooting in Aroura Colorada
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »
Maybe I'm just being an optimist at exactly the wrong time.  Throughout history, savagery brought about changes to correct the source of the problem.  I’m not going to sheriff-up and join a posse but competent persons should heed the call and provide protection for their family (extended as it may be).  Maybe this shooting could be a catalyst.  Come on...if cops were called then what happened?  Where were they?  Don't they respond to complaints?  I can ask questions all night, but at least I’m doing something about it!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »
Reports are still early and they are saying this guy was wearing body armor.  Any regular CCW carrier would have been greatly outgunned.  Most of us carry with the intentions of protecting ourselves at close distances and carry short barreled firearms for concealment convenience.  As much as I would like to think that I could have made a difference in a situation like this trying to fire across a smoke and/or gas filled theater more than likely would have been an exercise in futility.  Unless you were extremely close when the shooting started the best you could hope for is to make a tactical retreat and get you and your family out.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:01:16 AM »
I've been following the story on the news, very sad...real tragedy. May God give comfort to the heart and mind to those involved.

pjd832

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
Wondering what effect this may have on area theaters in regards to heightened metal dectectors/security/pat downs etc .... While I cc all day every day and simply don't go where not legal ....wife wants to go to movies today... :o and didn't want to be made an example by someone in light of the co tragedy

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »
pjd832 :  Good point.  I'll speak up if I see or hear how this unravels locally.  This is the best forum for getting that kind of heads-up out.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Rfscanner

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Even though this jerk was wearing body armor, wouldn't a couple of rounds from a 9mm, 40S&W or .45acp to the chest take the wind out of his sails?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:22:09 AM by Rfscanner »
"A government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, tax paying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust." Founding Fathers.
NRA, DSSA and DSA Member.
Kent County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Even though this jerk was wearing body armor, wouldn't a could of rounds of 9mm, 40S&W or .45acp to the chest take the wind out of his sails?
Yes... and this is why I carry a Glock 29. A round of full-power 10mm Auto carries more kinetic energy than any other common semi-auto ammunition.

I'm a pessimist, and/or an a**hole, and both would have come in handy in Aurora the other night.
I'll never go to a movie unarmed again.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »
RFScanner,
I'm betting a round from a 9mm, .40 or .45 cal through the gas mask would have dropped him. Not a shot that hard to make, considering the targets at a lot of ranges are 8 1/2" in diameter. That is the size of most peoples face. My SR9 holds 18 rounds and the last time I fired I put all of them in the 8 1/2" target area and I don't fire that often, so I know most of the rest of you could do it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 12:04:45 AM »
RFScanner,
I'm betting a round from a 9mm, .40 or .45 cal through the gas mask would have dropped him. Not a shot that hard to make, considering the targets at a lot of ranges are 8 1/2" in diameter. That is the size of most peoples face. My SR9 holds 18 rounds and the last time I fired I put all of them in the 8 1/2" target area and I don't fire that often, so I know most of the rest of you could do it.
+1
Every time we go to the range, the first thing I do is draw from the holster and take a headshot at 10 yards. I always hit it, even if I haven't been shooting for a few months. If I didn't make it, I'd order a few thousand rounds of 10mm and come back two or three times a week until I was confident again.

I need to have at least a fighting chance. If they start putting metal detectors at theaters, I'll never go to a movie again.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 12:12:45 AM »
Wondering what effect this may have on area theaters in regards to heightened metal dectectors/security/pat downs etc .... While I cc all day every day and simply don't go where not legal ....wife wants to go to movies today... :o and didn't want to be made an example by someone in light of the co tragedy
One little note, corporate policies are not law.  So, even if having the weapon is against their policy, the most that they can do is ask you to leave.  If you refuse to leave or secure the weapon outside of their establishment, then that changes things -- but mainly in regard to trespassing.

Remember, concealed means they can't see it, and if they can't see it -- it ain't there! :)
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
RFScanner,

Under no stress, excitement, panic, etc. ....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 01:56:22 AM »
Under no stress, excitement, panic, etc. ....
+1

But it's our duty to try, if we can.
IMHO, YMMV, AMWPBL.

Rfscanner

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:42:08 AM »
RFScanner,
No doubt, but anyone with marginal skills would of been able to at least slow him down with a couple of rounds from these calibers to the chest.
"A government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, tax paying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust." Founding Fathers.
NRA, DSSA and DSA Member.
Kent County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
Even if we were only able to slow him down, it would force him to waste ammo shutting us down.
Imagine how many people that might save, even if all we ended up doing is taking several for the team... if a few more people got out alive because he had to send rounds my way, I could live die with that.