Author Topic: Cinema shooting in Aroura Colorada  (Read 15890 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Cinema shooting in Aroura Colorada
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
A lot being said here to reply to.  If I am at the movies I am going to be with, at a minimum, my wife and sometimes other members of my family as well.  My first responsibility is to them.  I do not mean to sound selfish but I carry for my safety and my families safety.  The sheeple come second. I am not a combat veteran so when an explosive device goes off and gas and/or smoke filled the theater, the guy starts firing, people panic and run for the exits, people are screaming, I am not sure how I will react beyond the need to protect my family first.  If I were close enough to him when the SHTF I would like to think that I could have a legitimate chance to effectively neutralize him but beyond that I would go into survival mode. Once I get my family out will I intentionally go back in and face an adversary wearing armor who has me greatly outgunned just to sacrifice myself?  Remember, he has the gas mask, I don't.

As for how well you shoot at the range that is all well and good because practicing to proficiency is important. The range does not throw smoke or gas, the range does not shoot back with superior firepower and the range does not place a flood of panicking people between you and the target.

Something else to think about. The police are not about to charge into the building, they will first secure the perimeter, but when they do enter, make sure they can tell the difference in the smoke filled theater between you with your gun and the real bad guy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:03:10 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

pjd832

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 02:45:16 PM »
Wondering what effect this may have on area theaters in regards to heightened metal dectectors/security/pat downs etc .... While I cc all day every day and simply don't go where not legal ....wife wants to go to movies today... :o and didn't want to be made an example by someone in light of the co tragedy
One little note, corporate policies are not law.  So, even if having the weapon is against their policy, the most that they can do is ask you to leave.  If you refuse to leave or secure the weapon outside of their establishment, then that changes things -- but mainly in regard to trespassing.

Remember, concealed means they can't see it, and if they can't see it -- it ain't there! :)

agreed!..that is my sop...i carry everywhere other than places prohibibited by actual law...and have never had a problem or been asked to leave as im very diligent of not printing....even though the corp. policy isnt law...and you can only be asked to leave or secure your weapon and re-enter...in light of the recent event..i can see where an over zealous security guard with a wand thinking policy is law could make it into a huge ordeal...and with my wife not being supportive a pat down/metal detectorat the door would be "so embarrassing" to her..i decided to avoid the situation all together and we just went to dinner and then took her shopping..lol ;D...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:46:48 PM by pjd832 »

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
Wondering what effect this may have on area theaters in regards to heightened metal dectectors/security/pat downs etc .... While I cc all day every day and simply don't go where not legal ....wife wants to go to movies today... :o and didn't want to be made an example by someone in light of the co tragedy
One little note, corporate policies are not law.  So, even if having the weapon is against their policy, the most that they can do is ask you to leave.  If you refuse to leave or secure the weapon outside of their establishment, then that changes things -- but mainly in regard to trespassing.

Remember, concealed means they can't see it, and if they can't see it -- it ain't there! :)

agreed!..that is my sop...i carry everywhere other than places prohibibited by actual law...and have never had a problem or been asked to leave as im very diligent of not printing....even though the corp. policy isnt law...and you can only be asked to leave or secure your weapon and re-enter...in light of the recent event..i can see where an over zealous security guard with a wand thinking policy is law could make it into a huge ordeal...and with my wife not being supportive a pat down/metal detectorat the door would be "so embarrassing" to her..id decided to avoid the situation all together and we just went to dinner and then took her shopping..lol ;D...

A few of the Philly and PA re-re "leaders" made it onto the local and national news today.  Listening to them spew their non-sense, coupled with the how the sheeple typically think, creates an unworkable plan.  I'm not going to waste our time talking about the most of the junk, but I will comment on the thoughts of entrance security -- which is something that a lot of people will (and do) have a lot of unrealistic (and brilliant) ideas on. First, we can't have LEOs stationed at the entrances of theater, malls, and the like for the obvious reason that there simply isn't enough LEOs.  Additionally, it's a slippery slope, because the next step would be grocery stores, department stores, McDeath, gas stations, and so forth.  Second, the idea of security guards.  Really, what are most of these folks going to do?  Several years ago, Happy Harry's had a bunch of visible security guards.  They came in two flavors -- the 70-year-old armed kind, and the scrawny, unarmed, 22-year-old kind.  Neither appeared very intimidating.  And normally, these places only have one guy on duty at a time, so that only lessened the barrier.  And lastly, metal detectors.  Most (but obviously not all) of the metal detectors are set up in places where there are armed folks with the power of arrest stationed near them.  No one ever gets bitchy at these places (well, except the airport) when things slow down.  If the movie theater hires the scrawny, dumb, 22-year-old to man the scanner -- how well is that going to go?  Do you know how hard it is to go into the NCC courthouse and NOT buzz -- and that's after taking everything off!!!   Folks will get a little irritated after dropping a king's ransom to see 20 minutes of commercials, and have that delayed because the 20-year-old mom up front keeps ringing because of her car keys, spare car keys, mobile telephone, belt buckle, metal tin of mints, nipple rings, necklaces, bracelets, watch, grill, and funky metal tag in her sneakers.

It's going to be a tough road ahead, with us being forced to listen to these short-sighted folks coming up with the solutions to the problems that were caused by them in e first place (with is a sympathetic attitude towards criminals, and a general misunderstanding of what causes crime).
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

pjd832

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »
completely agree with you...

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 11:12:15 PM »
So, we went to the DE State Fair yesterday afternoon.

They made us park a mile from nowhere, and towed us on a "shuttle" behind a tractor to the entrance... where we saw a sign banning firearms, and warning us that bags were subject to search.
So, my wife and I got back on the same "shuttle," and rode back out to my car. I was inclined to just leave, but we had driven an hour, so we locked my Safepacker and my wife's 340PD in the trunk, and hopped back onto the same "shuttle."
And then nobody looked at us twice. No metal detectors, no security of any kind. We could have OC'd, and nobody would have even noticed.

So, there we are at the fair... with Senators Carper and Coons, John Carney, and the VP's son around somewhere (we ran into Senator Coons; they all had booths in one of the buildings). No security. In fact, they had negative security: they disarmed at least two trained marksmen with their brilliant f***ing sign.

Next time, we're carrying, or we're not going in at all.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 12:15:46 AM »

Suggest you all read the forum here titled "No carrying at the Fair" Would saved you a lot of trouble.
It is "State Property"
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:46:18 AM »

Suggest you all read the forum here titled "No carrying at the Fair" Would saved you a lot of trouble.
It is "State Property"

I'm not sure that it is state property, as the property records indicate the State Fair's corporation as the owner.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 03:13:39 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much, I am sure all the bad guys do the same as you did when the no weapons allowed signs.

So, we went to the DE State Fair yesterday afternoon.

They made us park a mile from nowhere, and towed us on a "shuttle" behind a tractor to the entrance... where we saw a sign banning firearms, and warning us that bags were subject to search.
So, my wife and I got back on the same "shuttle," and rode back out to my car. I was inclined to just leave, but we had driven an hour, so we locked my Safepacker and my wife's 340PD in the trunk, and hopped back onto the same "shuttle."
And then nobody looked at us twice. No metal detectors, no security of any kind. We could have OC'd, and nobody would have even noticed.

So, there we are at the fair... with Senators Carper and Coons, John Carney, and the VP's son around somewhere (we ran into Senator Coons; they all had booths in one of the buildings). No security. In fact, they had negative security: they disarmed at least two trained marksmen with their brilliant f***ing sign.

Next time, we're carrying, or we're not going in at all.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
If, in fact, the theater in Aroura is located in a “gun free” zone then the situation guarantees (guaranteed) success for the nutcase shooter.  If I’m ever again in a position to make important decisions I will remember this folly of thought.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Treeman

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
Excellent article. Evasion is my first line of defense. While I go to the range at least 3 times a month, I have no illusion how I would act in a real life. My main reason for getting my ccw was to protect myself and my family. But, my first line of defense is to get away from the situation. If I can't then I would pull my weapon and shoot, not necessarily to kill, but to escape. I would certianly not re-enter a situation once I and my family evaded the problem. I am no hero and have no dreams to become one. I would rather be a living coward than a dead hero. I'll leave the heroics to the men and women who are better trained than I.  This is just my opinion.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »
I would rather be a living coward than a dead hero.

No one has the right to call a man a coward because he chose to save his family when faced with overwhelming odds.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:23:11 PM by Hawkeye »

Sussex County

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
Metal detectors would have not stopped this nut. He bought a ticket, entered the theater, went out the side door, propped it open so he could return, which he did dressed in armor and with several guns.

Kilroy08

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
Disregard, did not notice there was a second page on this topic.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:01:58 PM by Kilroy08 »