Author Topic: Traffic Stops  (Read 11612 times)

Taurus221

• NRA member
Traffic Stops
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
A question was posed by someone recently asking what the appropriate way to handle a traffic stop when you are carrying concealed.

I spoke the the state police today and received this answer: The best thing to do is keep your hands on the steering wheel. When the Trooper (or officer) arrives at your window, the best thing is for you to greet him and tell him that you have a CCW and you are carrying a weapon. As every officer is different, some will require the weapon during the stop; some will ask you to hand the gun over; some will remove the gun for you, it all depends on who it is.

While there is no set standard and you have the right to do what you want, I believe the previous is the best course to take. Just remember to greet him and whatever you do, don't be a dick. :o The last thing these cops need is to be berated by another motorist. Chances are, if you are pulled over, you deserve it. If not, there are courts for the arguing.

Thanks all and I hope that answered the poster's question.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:05:55 PM by SigP250 »
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

Fire44

Re: Traffic Stops
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
I spoke to a retired police officer today myself, he said the exact same thing, keep you hands on the wheel, and ask the police officer what he would like you to do.

Gary

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »
I think I posted the same thing Oh A WEEK AGO! But since the forum crashed last night I guess I cant prove it. >:(
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
If it was simply locked in the trunk I wouldn't say anything unless the officer asked.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
I have to agree with gunenvy

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
Here's what to do, keep a spray bottle of water and airline bottle of whisky in the car. As the officer walks up spray your face with the water and pout the whisky on the floor. He'll be so consumed with the smell of booze and profuse sweating he'll never even ask about the gun. ;D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:51:27 PM »
ROFL   
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

plasticman

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 01:52:16 AM »
I wouldn't say sh#t  :-\

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:01:36 AM »
If it is lawfully being carried, I wouldn’t bring it up.  Of course, if it’s illegally being carried, I wouldn’t bring that up, either.  In fact, unless they specifically asked about “weapons” – I wouldn’t bring it up.  You’re not offering up the lawfully carried spare tire or box of Kleenex, are ya?  You don’t have to bring it up, so why escalate something?  Now, if they were starting a search, and had not asked you about having any weapons – you may want to bring it up then.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:58 AM »
I would tell him if he asked.
Gun control is hitting your target

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »
I have heard, not researched just heard, that there are some states and municipalities that require you inform the officer that you are carrying whether he askes or not. Again I have not researched it but I was speaking to somebody at the gun club a few weeks ago and he mentioned it to me. If your traveling it may not be a bad idea to chck local laws and see if it may be the case.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:32:59 PM »
I have heard, not researched just heard, that there are some states and municipalities that require you inform the officer that you are carrying whether he askes or not.

Wow, I really do miss Packing.org – just for this kind of info.  However, if memory serves me – hold it, what was I saying?  Anyway, none of the duty to inform states are near us.  The closest ones are NC and SC.  Other than that, they weave a bizarre little line through mid-America, from Michigan on down through Texas.

The best advice is to look up each state that you plan on traveling through, or contact each state, and have them direct you to the applicable information.  Whatever info that you find, whether statutes, case law/holdings/clarifications, or letters from States – I would take that information along on the trip.  This includes a copy of the reciprocity agreement.  In fact, if you are going to spend any amount of time in particular locations, you could even make a small pocket-sized version for that area(s).   I know that it sounds overkill, but believe me – it’s better to “waste” time now, rather than have to sit in lock-up while they sort this mess out.         

Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
IMO I have nothing to hide to the Police and will freely let them know I'm carrying. I know a few police and they all have told me the same they would rather you be upfront then if they find out on their own it changes their suspicion level.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:02 AM »
I saw a video that sums this up farily well. It was done for one of the gun magazines with Massad Ayoob. Mr. Ayoob said to not say the word "gun" as in "Officer, I have a gun." Instead,  whe he asks for your drivers license, also give him you carry ID and ask him "What do you want me to do."  The reason he gave for not saying "gun" was because there might be a rookie LEO on the passenger side of the car and he might not hear everything being said but he will hear "Gun."

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:43:54 AM »
Very good point