Author Topic: Handgunlaw.us and Age to Possess a Handgun in DE  (Read 1713 times)

Gary Slider

Handgunlaw.us and Age to Possess a Handgun in DE
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
I am getting a lot of questions about the age of possession of a handgun in the different states. So I have started collecting the laws on the different states at what age a person can possess  and transport a firearm unloaded and secured to places like a Gun Range/Gun Shop/Home etc. I have almost all the state but  I have a conflict with Delaware. I use many sites to gather info and one site has the age at 21 to even possess a handgun in Delaware. The laws as I can find only say a Minor can't be in possession except in certain instances when an adult is supervising them etc. I would appreciate any help you could give me on what law in DE states at what age you can possess a handgun and transport it secured/unloaded in a vehicle.

What I have found in DE Law is below. It only states Minor which is under 18 years of age. § 903 concerns FFL dealers selling handguns which is federal law. Am  I correct in reading DE Law that if you are 18 you can possess a handgun and transport it unloaded and Secured to the Range etc?  Thank you for any help you can give Handgunlaw.us with finding the correct info for DE.

TITLE 11
Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Delaware Criminal Code
CHAPTER 5. SPECIFIC OFFENSES
Subchapter VII. Offenses Against Public Health, Order and Decency
Subpart A. Riot, Disorderly Conduct and Related Offenses

§ 1448. Possession and purchase of deadly weapons by persons prohibited; penalties [Effective upon fulfillment of 78 Del. Laws, c. 137, § 15]

(5) Any juvenile, if said deadly weapon is a handgun, unless said juvenile possesses said handgun for the purpose of engaging in lawful hunting, instruction, sporting or recreational activity while under the direct or indirect supervision of an adult. For the purpose of this subsection, a handgun shall be defined as any pistol, revolver or other firearm designed to be readily capable of being fired when held in 1 hand;

TITLE 24
Professions and Occupations
CHAPTER 9. DEADLY WEAPONS DEALERS
§ 903. Sale to persons under 21 or intoxicated persons.
No person shall sell to a person under the age of 21 or any intoxicated person any of the articles referred to in the first paragraph of § 901 of this title.
26 Del. Laws, c. 15, § 3; Code 1915, § 259; 30 Del. Laws, c. 28, § 1; Code 1935, § 233; 42 Del. Laws, c. 71, § 2; 24 Del. C. 1953, § 903; 66 Del. Laws, c. 184, § 2.;
Stay Safe,
Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network