Author Topic: Markell's plan: 8% state pay cut, tax hikes  (Read 15121 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Markell's plan: 8% state pay cut, tax hikes
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:09 PM »
Where does it end? Between the Fing county and the state I feel like I'm really taking it up the A$$. I really think its time for a new declaration of independence. IMO our Government has stopped working. >:( >:( >:(

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090319/NEWS/90319026
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Re: Markell's plan: 8% state pay cut, tax hikes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:44:50 AM »
The problem with our last governor election was not having any one to vote for.  We are now seeing the problem caused by those that were too scared to write-in Mickey Mouse for governor – which would have made a much better governor than Markell.  And just wait until he starts his anti-gun campaign.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

GLOCK23

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
my wife works for the state and let me tell u she had never had an 8% increase at one time in her pay ..so why cut it 8 percent..it would take her four years to start breaking even with the raise the state gives,.,,,that suck,,,

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
This is what happens when Dems are elected. They want higher taxes so they can implement more governemnt. More gov means more control. Try cutting even more. If you or I over-spend from month to month do we demand a raise from our bosses? I just did with mine and he told me, 'you can take your pay raise request and shove it up your @@@.' Now, he's not a jerk and he is a good guy. He knew I was looking for a response. I got it!  :)

Anyway, this is no different than what is going on at the national level. Our Pres says he will give a tax cut to everyone less than 250K. What they are not telling you is that anything that has to do with energy will be taxed, i.e. gas, natural gas, propane, electricity, ect... He is also not telling you that he will be raising taxes on many other things as well.

This will also happen at the state level... take my word for it. It WILL happen.
Needless to say, higher taxes means less money for you and me. Less money for us means less spending... and the cycle continues. It's not rocket science, it's common sense. We won't get out of this mess until people are able to get some money under them. It won't happen with a Dem pres, congress or senate.

I know numerous people who voted Dem in this last election. To them I say, stop your whining! I know that will @@@@ several of you off but that's just my opinion.

It was our responsibility to educate ourselves on the issues before the election and numerous people did not.
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »
Oddly enough, Thomas Paine wrote about this stuff -- a couple of hundred years ago.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Not to worry. The Obamasiah will fix everything.  I may be taking an 8% pay cut (10% when you figure in the increased payments for medical benefts) but I wll be getting $13 more a week from the porkulous plan.  You might as well grab some ketchup and a napkin because we are all going to have to take a bite out of this big sh*t sandwhich our elected officials are getting ready to serve us. >:(

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »
I can honestly say I did.not vote for Markell, Taurus can you say that?

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:37:16 PM »
And before you say it Taurus yes I voted for Obama / Biden If the republicans had put some one other then that genius Palin in their I may have seen things differently, But with the way the economy is right now I dont think I could and Palin I won't even start on that dumb a$$

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
Yea, she's the dumbass. She's got a BA, been elected governor, was on the ticket for VP, ect...
Yet, you're posting on a blog about how dumb she is. ???         Not quite sure on that one. Just a reminder, you voted for Pres, right?
See you tomorrow.

Voting for Obama is much worse than voting for Markell... especially from a gun owner's POV.
And yes, I will take a hit for the genius Markell. >:(
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
Just remember you can always tell when a politician is lying there mouths are moving!
Gun control is hitting your target

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
I can see Russia from my house!! 

How much dumber can you get.  And not to knock anyone with a BA, but that magic piece of paper does not make you smart.  She's living proof of that.  And before you can get all "mavericky" on us, she couldnt name one news paper she read or one piece of legislation that she was following, or was for or against.  Let alone grandpa McCain who didn't know how many houses he owned.

Sorry, but Obama Biden was the only choice if you ask me.  Do I agree 100% with their stances on things? heck no. But much more so than grandpa and the space cadet.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
She's got a BA, been elected governor, was on the ticket for VP, ect...
Um, you forgot "hot." 

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »
I can see Russia from my house!! 

Wow. Politics seems to get us fired up.  The above quote would be funny if it were actually true.  Unfortunately this is an example of a comedian, Tina Fey, doing such a good job impersonating a politician that many people attribute lines from a comedy skit to the actual person.  By the way, we seem to be highjacking this topic. :o

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 11:50:45 PM »
Yup, and Tina Fey did her job well.  She got us to all realize how brilliant Sarah was.  Mission accomplished! 

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008

"Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―" --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008

"All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008

Yeah... she's brilliant!   ::)
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 02:33:21 AM »
As long as we have highjacked this post, let's keep going.  This will be my last post on Palin.  Palin's biggest fault is that she underestimated the nastiness of the liberal media and the unfair attacks she and her family would be subjected to.  Some of this very mean spirited. This is a letter I had printed in the Delaware State News on Sep 20, 2008, so it is slightly dated:

Letter to the Editor
Subject: Palin Derangement Syndrome
   WOW!  The Palin Derangement Syndrome (PDS) is in full swing.  I have never seen such an all out attack on a candidate by the media and liberals.  They are going nuts.  What is it about her that scares them so?  I suspect that most don’t like her because she has achieved success without kowtowing to the way liberals interpret feminism. What is despicable about most of these attacks are that they attack her as a person, not on her politics.  Apparently only men and liberal women are capable of being a responsible parent while pursuing a political career.
   One of the frequently repeated criticisms is that she cannot be a good mother to her five children, one being a special needs child, if she is to become the Vice President.  After all these years are the liberals actually telling a woman that she needs to be a stay at home mom instead of advancing her career?  They seem to be imposing their own glass ceiling at a very low level.  I thought that the liberal/feminist mantra is that a woman can have it all.
Let me try to connect two seemingly unconnected dots.  For years liberals and feminists have been decrying the lack of women in the upper ranks of military leadership.  They say that more combat roles need to open up to women which will allow them to have a more competitive resume to compete for those higher ranks.  Following their Palin logic, (yeah I know, liberal and logic, oxymoron, sorry) there should be no military mothers assigned to any duty that would require them to be separated from their children.  You can’t have it both ways.
   The lies, smears and half truths bout Palin are far too many to list here.  They range from Palin faking her last pregnancy to her banning books from the Wasilla library (this comes with a list of books, some of which had not been printed at that time) to a single “unnamed source” claiming she made a racially derogatory statement about Obama.  These attacks are not just confined to the web, main stream media is getting into the act.
   It has gotten to the point where you cannot even tell what is made up and what is legitimate.  One blogger made a list of fake Sara Palin Quotes and labeled them as such (unbearablebobness.typepad.com).  One of those quotes has Palin talking about now dinosaurs were made by God 4000 years ago.  The web site even stated: “Disclaimer: She didn't actually say these things - I made them up.” This, however, did not stop CNN from reporting the dinosaur statement as authentic and the well respected political analyst Matt Damon from pondering in an interview if it was true.  OK, I made the part about Damon being a well respected political analyst up but because he makes a living pretending to be other people he seems to think he is one.
   Other Palin attacks depend of half truths and misquotes.  Her response to the Charles Gibson question about the Bush Doctrine is one of those half truths.  People say that she did not know what the Bush Doctrine was.  According to the Washington Post there are as many as seven different Bush Doctrines and the one Mr. Gibson eluded to is not the same as what is considered the Bush Doctrine today.  Either Mr. Gibson did not know that there were multiple doctrines or this was a “gotcha” question.  This does not matter to those with PDS.  If they say it often enough and loud enough this fiction will replace the truth in many people’s eyes.  By the time the truth comes out it will be too late; the damage will have already been done.
   Another half truth is in regards to her saying that she did not know what the job of the Vice President was.  Here is the BDS quote: “As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?”  They leave off the very next thing she says: “I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S. before I can even start addressing that question.”  How convenient it is to leave off the second half of the quote to make her look bad.
   I could go on and on but what is the point?  You can question the depth of her experience but Sara Palin is a successful mother, a successful small business owner, a successful politician and to top it all off she is a conservative.  And that scares the heck out of them.  Oh, by the way.  In case you are like the media and seem to have forgotten, the Vice Presidential candidate on the other ticket is some guy named Joe Biden.

I followed that up on Oct 6, 2008, with this one

Letter to the Editor
Subject:  Sarah Palin
    John McCain’s pick of Sarah Palin for Vice-President has really united the Democratic Party.  I cannot recall a more concerted effort to attack a candidate on both the professional personal level as the liberals have mounted in the last several days.  What is it about this woman that scares them so?  If the chants of her lack of experience held any truth I would think that they would be reveling in her pick but they are not.  They are in overdrive as they grasp at anything as an excuse to attack her.
   These attacks are not just coming from the nutroot corners of the internet but from the main stream media as well.  Alan Colmes, of Hannity and Colmes on Fox News speculated on his website that the reason for Palin’s son being born with Down’s syndrome was due to her improper pre-natal care.  John Roberts of CNN asked on air how much time Palin could spend with her infant with Down’s syndrome because of her duties as Vice-President.  Would that question be asked of a male candidate?  On MSNBC, under the guise of a “Breaking News” banner, the banner asked how many houses Palin would add to the Republican ticket.
            Over at the DailyKos website things are even worse.  I would normally not include them in a serious political discussion but since all three of the Democratic candidates, Obama, Clinton and Edwards saw fit to appear at their convention thereby seeming to put them in the mainstream, they are fair game.  The DailyKos is claiming that Palin’s child Trig is in fact not her child but the child of her daughter Bristol making Palin the child’s grandmother.  Palin falsely claimed the child as hers to protect her teenage daughter.
           It seems that the problem liberals have with Palin is that she is not, well, a liberal.  Any woman (or anyone who is considered a minority) who achieves a place of recognition within the Republican Party is only there as a token.  Liberals still see Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as a token and not smart enough for the job.  Obama said as much at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.  Palin cannot be taken seriously because we all know the Republicans are the party of old white men.  It is not like Palin has accomplished something as great as riding on the coattails of her more accomplished husband and then running for a senate seat in a state that she has never lived in (sorry, I could not resist that one).
     Well, let’s look past the liberal rhetoric and see what Palin has done.  Liberals, including Obama in a recent TV interview, pass her off as just a small town mayor.  They use this in a belittling way and ignore any other accomplishments that would give her credibility.  Here are some of her ignored accomplishments:
           •   She has 13 years experience in elected office.
           •   She has run a successful business.
           •   As mayor of Wasilla she cut property taxes
           •   As the Chair of the Alaska Conservation Commission she complained to the Republican Governor  and the Republican state Attorney General about the ethic violations of another Republican Commissioner and nothing was done.  She resigned and then proceeded to drive them all out of office beating the Governor in the primary and then winning the election.
           •   During her first year in office as Governor she reached across party lines to pass a state ethics law overhaul.
           •    Used the line item veto to cut $268 million from state spending bills.
           • Took on big oil overturning a “sweetheart deal” orchestrated by her predecessor and then rasied taxes on the oil companies.
           •   Sold a state owned jet on E-Bay for $2.7 million. She flies commercial when on state business, often in coach.
           •   As the Governor she operates a $9 billion budget, manages $13 billion in revenue and runs a government that employs 25,000 people.
           •   She is the Commander of the Alaska National Guard.  One of its units, the 49th Missile Defense Battalion, is the only Guard unit on permanent active duty and protects the nation from ballistic missile attacks. 
           •   As governor she is briefed on homeland security, counterterrorism and classified military issues.
Just a small town mayor?  I don’t think so.  I mean seriously, her resume would be pretty darned impressive for a man yet it was accomplished by a woman who managed to raise 5 children along the way.  Isn’t that what the women’s movement is all about?  Oh I forgot, she doesn’t count, she is not a Democrat.
          When you look at the entire picture you can see why the liberals are scared.  The Republican Vice-Presidential candidate far outshines the Democratic Presidential candidate.  Obama’s stated executive experience?  Community organizer and running a campaign.  The problem is he does not run the campaign, his campaign manager does.  Obama just gives speeches via teleprompter.  Has he actually ever done anything other than run for the next higher office?
           I will continue to watch in amusement as the liberals and the main stream media fall all over themselves in the next perceived “scandal” concerning Palin.  After all, they are not going to let some beauty queen winning, gun toting, moose cooking, tax cutting, high school basketball playing, corruption fighting, family raising, independent minded, sports casting small town mayor get in the way of the “One” receiving that which he is entitled to.

Go ahead and bash Palin some more.  I would rather have had Palin as the Governor of Delaware than any in recent memory. (sorry if the writing is sloppy, I have already take my Ambien)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:36:18 AM by hawkeye »

Sussex County