Author Topic: Cimarron Arms open top  (Read 2907 times)

TCRken

Cimarron Arms open top
« on: October 07, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »
FWIW

A year or so back, I bought a Cimarron Arms 1872 Open Top for Cowboy action in 38 Spl.  If you like single action "cowboy" pistols, I can recommend this pistol.  It is a hoot  and surprisingly, mine will shoot far better than I can.  In fact, it will shoot wad cutter & semi wad cutter target loads as good as my 38/44 Smith... saying that with the primitive sights the open top has (groove and post).  I have relatives in law enforcement that are excellent pistol shots with young eyes and I've seen what they can do with those sights.  Given the open top frame you don't shoot hot loads but standard 38 spl loads are just fine.  I do reloading and reload mostly with semi wadcutters and mild powder charges, something in the middle of the load range in the Hornady load book.  I bought a box of Winchester target loads as more or less as a baseline to check my load accuracy and found the pistol to be very consistent.

So, if you like single action and would like something more than the standard peacemaker, I'd say take a look.

Ken

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Cimarron Arms open top
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
Great review!
New Castle County

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Cimarron Arms open top
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:32:47 AM »
The shooting sports are amazing.  Even after all these years.  Your comments are just the thing to give life to this awesome experience.
Proud resident of Kent County DE