Author Topic: Shooting range where to shoot rifle?  (Read 11087 times)

TCRken

Shooting range where to shoot rifle?
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
All

As a newbie to DE I've been somewhat stymied to find a place to shoot my rifles.  One of my interests is loading and shooting obsolete cartridges in new rifles (mostly...; I'm restoring a 1890 Win '86 in 33 WCF).  They span from a Savage 25-20 WCF up to a #1 in 40-82 WCF with a few wildcats in between.  A few are TCR's & #1 Rugers & a few Marlin's but it's a mixed bag.

I was spoiled in Colorado as a member of the Ben Loman Gun Club (www.blgc.org) outside Kiowa (640 acres and a 600 yd range) and the Triggertime club (www.triggertimegunclub.com) in Longmont with an indoor 100 yd range.  Rain, snow or shine I had a place to go.

I did a search on gun clubs in the area but it seems all of them are closed to new members.  At this point, a 100 yd range would be OK.  Does anyone know of a gun club within an hour drive of Hockessin that is accepting new members or would someone sponsor me at one of the "closed" clubs?

I'm also interested in CMP shoots and have a national match Springfield Armory M1A.

Appreciate any suggestions/directions.

Ken

tz9x21

Re: Shooting range where to shoot rifle?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:32:39 AM »
Though it might be about an hour 15 minutes from where you are, my club has a 200 yard range. Link to the club website below. We're in Sudlersville MD. There is a link for directions and it'll tell how far away. You can also check out Alexander Sporting farms. They are about 15 minutes closer in Millington MD and he has ranges out to 600 yards. While I don't have a phone number for them, you could call Smyrna Sporting Goods and those guys have some applications for Alexanders and could get you the phone number.

www.dsarange.com

"... so my wife says, don't you have enough guns?" to which I reply, "My dear, there is no such thing as enough guns."

fdegree

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »
This might be a little longer than an hour, but you could try the Bridgeville Rifle Range:
http://www.bville-rifle-pistol.org/index.html
it is in southern Delaware, just outside the small town of Bridgeville...obviously.

They have a few different ranges for rifles...anywhere from 50 yards to 600 yards.  They are currently building a 1,000 yard range.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
The Bridgeville club has a 600yd. range with 200 and 300 positions; a 100, 200, 300 yd. range; a 25 , 50 yd. pistol range; a multi-purpose practical range, and a 1000 yd. range under construction. They also have an indoor pistol and light rifle range. Except for the multi-purpose range all ranges are covered.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
JD Defense outside of Georgetown has a rifle range of up to 130 yards.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

TCRken

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:06:53 PM »
Thanks Gents.

I will check them out.  Since we're very close to the Pennsylvania line, I had assumed I'd have to look in PA.

Jay_DOBA

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »
Atglen, PA has a range with minimum 100yds, if not a 200+ range.  All outdoors. 

Southern Chester County Farmers and Sportsmen Club (sportsmen and farmers?) has only one 100yrd range.  Than a few shorter pistol ranges.  All outdoors.

Jay

TCRken

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the leads.

I had checked Atglen and was told their memberships were closed.

Southern Chester requires a sponsor and is closed for memberships until Feburary. 

Those 2 were the closest to my home.

Ken

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
This is a great thread.  The members are providing invaluable advice that cannot be found easily.  I’m all ears ‘cause I’m looking to fire a long gun in the near future.  Thank you.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

eclipse

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 02:31:28 AM »
I also live in hockessin.  Your best bet is Atglen but they only take new members in Feb.  Membership is 125 first year 85 after that.  It is about a 25 to 30 min drive from my house.  They have 25 yard hand gun, 100 yd rifle, 100yd shot gun/muzzleloader, standing and 3d archery,  sporting clays, and a main rifle range with berms @ 100yd, 200m, 300m ,380m, and 500m.  If you want to check it out they have competitions that are open to the public or we can set up a range trip.

Another place worth looking at is Delaware county field and stream.  They have rolling membership.  I have not been a member for years but I think they have 100 yds.  I think membership was 85 when I was a member.

Brandywine hundred rod and gun has ranges out to 200yd but it is hard to get in there and more expensive than the others.

Bridgevill is a long drive from hockessin.

TCRken

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:28:52 PM »
All

I just returned from a Pheasant hunting trip to the So Dak opener and so haven't accessed the site for a while (did OK, have 6 birds in freezer but poked a lot more holes in the air).   ;)

The Delaware County Field and Stream looks like it would be a convenient and close range and good club and I'd like to pursue it.  Are there any DCF&S members who would be willing to talk with me to be a sponsor for membership?  I see they require 2 sponsors for membership.  I believe there is a direct to email link option and I'd supply my phone number or have a personal meeting.

BTW, thanks Eclipse for the suggestion.

xring

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »
New Holland, Pa has 2,3,and 600 yard range. Last time I was there but It has been 10+ years

antapd

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 02:53:40 AM »
The Bridgeville range is pretty nice, inexpensive to be a member too.  I know it's a hike from Hockessin but for anyone downstate it's great. 

The indoor range is only on certain days of the week so that is a bummer during bad weather days.  Maybe they'll cover a few of the open pistol pits in the future.  Thought about buying ones of those portable canopies because some days I just want to shoot, rain or not.

They have the 1000 yd range open this Saturday, 3/2, for practice.  I think it's the first time they've had it open.
NRA Member
Vol. Fire Co. Member
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club Member

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Only the practical pistol range is not covered, since IDPA, cowboy, and other events are held on that range it would be very impracticle to cover it. These shooters and many others shoot from many different distances and different positions, as well as using barricades and other equipment. With a covered 25 yd. and a covered 50 yd. pistol range, there is no reason you can not shoot there when it rains.

antapd

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:07:57 PM »
Yeah the 25 yd is covered which is nice. I figured it had to do with all the different types of shooting they do on those pits.  Last time we were down there we shot from about 10 yds to practice drawing from the iwb holster.  But I see your point, the cover would make setting up different types of shooting more difficult
NRA Member
Vol. Fire Co. Member
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club Member