Author Topic: Hawken 50 - Just like Jerimiah had!  (Read 3739 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
Hawken 50 - Just like Jerimiah had!
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
Just finished a Hawken 50 cal from a kit.  Way more work than I thought so, if nothing else, it humbled me a bunch.  But I’m pleased with the stock, brass and barrel finish.  I need to cast some round ball in the next few days but will soon be at Shooter’s Choice to burn a few.

If you stop in and see some guy on the long side that appears to be ”figuring things out”, please say Hi and take a shot or 2 with this awesome cannon.   A 100 grain charge really shakes the place.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Hawken 50 - Just like Jerimiah had!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »
That is cool, please share some pictures. Congrats.

Schmenge

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
Obleo, how did you make out at the range?

I bought and built one about 15 or 20 years ago and I love it. It's a real nail driver too, especially with a patched ball. I take it hunting about once a year, the rest of the year it's hanging over my fireplace.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
Schmenge:  I got to the range and, at first, was wondering if it was even going to fire.  The humidity was thick and my eyes, hands and towel were soaked.  My black powder loads lost energy but the Pyrodex was pretty good.  I preloaded short pieces of tubing with several different loads (and experimented with mixtures of Pyrodex and BP) and was pleased to see a solid punch every time.  The rifle fouled tight after 12 rounds and that’s where I stopped.  I shot 230 grain HP conical instead of ball so the brass butt plate was talking trash after a while.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Schmenge

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »
Did you get the flintlock or cap? Getting 12 shots before wiping the barrel is pretty good, I usually get about 6. I use loose Pyrodex only, but I have the caplock. I understand Pyrodex doesn't work as well with the flintlock.

Have fun with it!
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
I did a TC Hawken percussion about 30 yrs ago, I enjoyed the challenge.  It is fun to shoot and fairly accurate with ball and black powder.  If I recall, I used between 90-110 of 2F.  Have never used pyrodex.  If I am going to use a "primitive" weapon, I want the real mccoy.

Knowing how nasty black powder was, I used tung oil on the stock.  I am glad to say it has held up very well over the years, thru MANY cleanings.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith