Author Topic: concealed vs. open  (Read 11557 times)

kathy1

concealed vs. open
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
there are many viewpoints on open carry vs. concealed.  I would be interested in hearing your pros and cons?

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Re: concealed vs. open
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
   Its a mentality issue. Hard to describe. 
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »
I don't see any pros on open carry.

1. It calls unnecessary attention, however for some this might be a pro I suppose.
2. It gives away the element of surprise.
3. It makes one a target.
4. It makes other people uncomfortable.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 01:36:13 PM »

1. It calls unnecessary attention, however for some this might be a pro I suppose.

I agree with 1 & 2.  NOWAY on #3.  The criminal wants an EASY victim. By OC(ing) you are sending a clear message the criminal may have a short career. #4, dont care if someone is uncomfortable or not.  It's not my job to see that they are.  Do I OC, NO I do not.

The OC(er) has something over us - google the Turller Drill. (Faster response time)
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:57:33 PM »
Radnor, we can Google and find supporting arguments, testimonials, examples....on both sides as much as we want.

I do believe on #3. i.e. If I were a bad guy, walked into an establishment (truly committed to commit the crime) and saw someone carrying a gun, he or she would be the first one I would be taking down.
As far as carrying about others, this is a personal choice. I do live in a society which I like to make people comfortable being around me. If I can make them feel comfortable by not exposing them to something they are afraid of, don’t like …, I certainly will. So carrying concealed gives me the opportunity to do what I believe on.

I agree with 1 & 2.  NOWAY on #3.  The criminal wants an EASY victim. By OC(ing) you are sending a clear message the criminal may have a short career. #4, dont care if someone is uncomfortable or not.  It's not my job to see that they are.  Do I OC, NO I do not.

The OC(er) has something over us - google the Turller Drill. (Faster response time)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
Word to the wise:

Open Carry not legal in the City of Dover. Concealed carry only with DECCW.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
I always open carried in the small town I grew up in.  Since I spent most outdoor time hunting , hiking or fishing it didn’t attract much attention.   Those were the days when everyone knew each other there.

Around here few people know each other and with new cultural norms and political correctness it just isn’t worth the hassle to open carry.  I respect those that do and feel as though they are helping to protect our legacy.

I only carry for protection.  Out of site – out of mind.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

jslacker

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
I OC simply because its a PITA to get a DECCW.  I don't really see myself a victim because a have a gun, actually quite the opposite. I'm not saying I'm going out commando but I do carry for protection and often it can be a visual deterent, whereas if I were CCing and was approached by a would be criminal I would have to brandish my weapon to back him off in the best case scenario and I don't think that's looked upon to kindly by the law even though you were being "threatened". If you were OCing that same criminal probably choose another Target. Right or wrong?
It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.
 -Samuel Adams

SweetPete

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »
Word to the wise:

Open Carry not legal in the City of Dover. Concealed carry only with DECCW.

Pretty sure you can open and conceal carry in Dover if you have a CCW permit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Per Delaware Open Carry web site:

Dover Non-Prempted Ordinance: The City of Dover has a local ordinance which falls outside of the scope of pre-emption which requires a permit to open or conceal carry. Much like Newark is attempting to do, repealing this legislation to rely soley on Delaware law as a source for unified firearms law would be beneficial to both the state, law enforcement and its citizens.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »
some quotes from OC

"To me, it is a waste of time to attempt an intellectual debate "

"They're delusional"

"(a happy face banging head on wall) I've spoke my piece over there"

"Seems many on the CCDW site prefer to think they're special "

"anti gun rhetoric"

My thoughts,  Both will work, As far as any deterent of having your weapon open, it doesnt stop cops from getting shot at.  Plain and simple. The argument OC vs CC is the same as Assult weapons vs hunters rights to own firearms. 
Nobody here can be prepared for everything down the road, you can speculate all you want, Its a free country.   
My opinion also, is most CC people are alittle more respectfull,  the OC crowd posted personal insults to win their side , Did anyone here post that they are delusional  ?     

Should I say YET? 
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:12 PM »
Open carry does not make you a target anymore then wearing a so called "shoot me first" vest. It is a myth. I wish I could recall the study so that I can reference it here but it has been shown through interviewing criminals already in jail that they will avoid someone they know to be armed and search for easier prey.  A quick Google search will reveal stories of the presence of an armed citizen causing would be robbers to go the other way.  I could care less what others think when I open carry (about half the time in warmer weather) just I would not care what others think when I wear my Jesus sweatshirt. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
This discussion is about optics.  The objective of the open carry advocate is to present a holstered firearm as part of their appearance.   The presentation is not, however, only the appearance of a holstered firearm.  The person bearing the firearm is the biggest part of the picture.

Some OC advocates in public are dressed well, maintain a healthy posture and exhibit behavioral hints that they may be competent and in charge.  The U.S. Secret Service always looks awesome if not intimidating, and the specter of controlled deadly force is, for some, romantic.

Face it.  Some people do not have the presence of mind, the self reflective attributes or the presented image that evokes a feeling of trust or competence.  Anyone seen the bounty hunter looking guy with the leg holster around town?  What an embarrassment. That image telegraphs bad news in anybody’s book.  I say: Be honest with yourself and look in the mirror in your head as well as the one on the wall.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »
The issue of open carry in Dover, is rather muddy. Dover code, Sec. 70-2, is not really clear. It at least says, you need a CCW to to carry a loaded gun in Dover.

Dr. Eastwood

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
  Its a mentality issue. Hard to describe.  

It's not just a "mentality issue", it's a financial, privacy, and rights issue. Delaware is one of the few states that does not regulate openly carried firearms, save for the restrictions on felons and certain state properties. It does, however, bend its citizens over and force them to submit to CC as a "privilege" instead of a right. It costs your money and privacy just for the chance to be denied the "privilege" of being able to carry how you wish.

To be honest, however, I'm not interested in rocking that boat in the near future, as it is now approvals are running high even if the system is counter intuitive to the concept of 2a rights.

What I am interested in is dispelling this ridiculous notion that people who OC are worthy of disparagement because they're loose cannons, wackos, or otherwise. That cannot be any farther from the truth. In fact, I'd wager just the opposite. I believe many who OC are informed, knowledgeable and responsible adults who, for various reasons, have decided that their preferred method of carrying is openly. Of course, every group has its lowest common denominators, and pro-cc/oc groups are no strangers. There's tactical mall ninjas everywhere. But to think they represent the whole lot is quite naive.

I would hope that, regardless of how you carry, you could recognize the term 'Shall Not Be Infringed', for exactly what it is. We can go back and forth all day arguing about Coke and Pepsi, but when we talk about who's got the right to drink Pepsi, we have to recognize that the position we stand on (for pro-CC only proponents) is one built on the idea that you cannot drink Pepsi unless you submit to rules and regulation that wholly infringe upon 2a rights enshrined in the constitution. That is the line of thinking followed by liberal kool-aid drinkers and the blowhards from the Brady bunch.

Lets all play on the same team, regardless of preferences and political affiliation.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:02:32 AM by Dr. Eastwood »