Author Topic: concealed vs. open  (Read 11556 times)

Schmenge

Re: concealed vs. open
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
I will always defend the right to open carry. It's just not for me. I also worry that the way politics are in this state, if open carry gets too much attention, some politician will want to outlaw it.

I'll consider open carry if there is some sort of natural or man made disaster with a breakdown of law and order.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

kathy1

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
kudos to Dr. Eastwood.  And, I agree with those who say that this decision is one of personal preference, based on input to date.  Initially, I was just wondering if there was some good, hard data out there that said OC (or CC) is more beneficial because:  1- Improved speed of draw; 2-etc.. etc., if you catch my drift.  I'm new to this whole environment and the only way to learn--in my book--is to ask questions, digest the feedback, weigh the risk vs. benefit and make a decision.  Thanks everyone for the constructive comments and input.

Dr. Eastwood

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »
http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/unarmed-man-attempts-to-rob-emu-student-carrying-holstered-gun/

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=zx_YUO4SzcY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzx_YUO4SzcY%26feature%3Drelated

Both examples of poor situational awareness. It could easily happen to anyone carrying concealed who is accosted at knife/gun point. They're going to lose the weapon. However, of the two cases you posted, only one of them lost the weapon.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
Absolutely, the one who did not loose the weapon had help from a bystander.

Also, your comparison with the concealed carry, how would someone try to steel your gun, target you for your gun, if they don't know you have one - concealed?

Situation awareness is very important, but it will not help you once you have been identified as a target.

Edit: Furthermore, I wonder how many times the two victims on the example I posted mentioned situation awareness when proposing OC...

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/unarmed-man-attempts-to-rob-emu-student-carrying-holstered-gun/

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=zx_YUO4SzcY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dzx_YUO4SzcY%26feature%3Drelated

Both examples of poor situational awareness. It could easily happen to anyone carrying concealed who is accosted at knife/gun point. They're going to lose the weapon. However, of the two cases you posted, only one of them lost the weapon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:02:56 PM by Condition 1 »

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 04:08:31 PM »
Then there is this.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it.  At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone.  Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

We can all give examples to support our personal views.  The bottom line is carry how you feel comfortable, it does not matter what others think.  No two robberies or attacks are the same so no one single strategy will work for everything.  We all play the averages on how we think we will most likely have to defend ourselves. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »
Situation awareness is very important, but it will not help you once you have been identified as a target.

I disagree.  That is the whole purpose of situational awareness. Once you are identified as a target situational awareness could help you identify suspicious actions of those around you. If you are being followed, if someone approaches you too quickly in a dark parking lot, if a group splits up and individuals move as if to cover you flank are all signs that situational awareness should identify and allow you to take precautions.

There are attacks that situational awareness will not or cannot detect and in those cases it does not matter if you carry open or concealed.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 04:36:02 PM »
That is the only example I've seen on the web where OC was a "deterrent." I also wonder if the police had not taken the cars if they would've not waited to make the two guys a target and take their guns.

As far as the statistics, sorry for the sarcasm but, the guys on my example missed the memo.

Again, IMO it does matter what others think and how they feel when out with their families.

Then there is this.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it.  At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone.  Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

We can all give examples to support our personal views.  The bottom line is carry how you feel comfortable, it does not matter what others think.  No two robberies or attacks are the same so no one single strategy will work for everything.  We all play the averages on how we think we will most likely have to defend ourselves. 

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
I disagree, once someone has identified you as a target because they know you are armed, because they see you, your situation awareness is not relevant as the bad guy will have a plan of attack that you are not aware of - i.e. approach you with a gun on your face asking you to surrender yours, or create a situation to be close enough to grab your gun - see two examples I provided. Situation awareness if very important, but once you are the target it will not help much. Again, that is my opinion.

I disagree.  That is the whole purpose of situational awareness. Once you are identified as a target situational awareness could help you identify suspicious actions of those around you. If you are being followed, if someone approaches you too quickly in a dark parking lot, if a group splits up and individuals move as if to cover you flank are all signs that situational awareness should identify and allow you to take precautions.

There are attacks that situational awareness will not or cannot detect and in those cases it does not matter if you carry open or concealed.

Dr. Eastwood

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:52 PM »
I disagree, once someone has identified you as a target because they know you are armed, because they see you, your situation awareness is not relevant as the bad guy will have a plan of attack that you are not aware of - i.e. approach you with a gun on your face asking you to surrender yours, or create a situation to be close enough to grab your gun - see two examples I provided. Situation awareness if very important, but once you are the target it will not help much. Again, that is my opinion.

Concealed carry or open carry, a gun is a not a ticket of immunity, you should avoid becoming a target before it happens. The same outcome would occur if you had a gun pulled on you before you had a chance to react, the gun gets stolen OC or CC. Unless you think you're Charles Bronson. Then you get dead.  ::)

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 12:41:54 AM »
Looks like we agree on something here, Dr. Eastwood  ;)

Concealed carry or open carry, a gun is a not a ticket of immunity, you should avoid becoming a target before it happens. The same outcome would occur if you had a gun pulled on you before you had a chance to react, the gun gets stolen OC or CC. Unless you think you're Charles Bronson. Then you get dead.  ::)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 12:04:49 PM »
Then there is this.

I saw this example too.  Had it posted and was just about ready to click the button.  Decided to abort the post (waste of time).

Soon think a little of this will be needed. 
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
Being aware may not prevent you from being attacked, in all situations, but may allow you time to repel an attack. Being aware may also, as Dr. Eastwood said, allow allow you to not get into a situation, where you can be attacked. All situations are different, but being aware is a hell of alot better than being dumb.