Author Topic: Hearing and Eye Protection  (Read 14681 times)

lfcmendes

Hearing and Eye Protection
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Can you share what kind of gear protection for the range you are using?
If you use ear muffs, what brand?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:47:28 PM by SigP250 »

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Hearing and Eye Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:31:54 PM »
I use Howard Leight amplified ear muffs and already wear eye glasses.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:12 PM »
I have a pair of Remington muffs that have "speakers" in them.  I can turn them on to hear whats going on around me but it blocks out the gun shots.  Nice!  Worth the $50 I paid for them. Got them at Walfarts.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
I'm looking for in the ear electronic ear protection anybody got any recommendations?
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »
Ok, so I'm assuming you're referring to the muffs that have the "speakers" in the muff which still blocks out the gun shot noise?? 

That would be my recommendation.  $50 or so at Walfarts.  I believe they are Remingtons. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »
I like my howard leights. I got them for around $50 also
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
I ordered a set of EP3 Sonic Defenders they seem pretty cool anyone have any expierence with them?

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:18:41 AM »
Mine have NSN on them.  Thanks, Uncle Sam!
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 02:47:51 AM »
I use 34 NRR foam plugs from Happy Harry's. If you get them all the way into the ear canal, they're the best protection I've ever tried.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »
I still prefer my electronic ones.  I can hold a conversation, listen to others as well as still keep my hearing (whats left of it).

Moosie

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
I use for pistol or instruction, Peltor Tactical 7S ($$$ - in the $125.00 area).  They have the speakers in them too.  Do NOT like the CANS on while shooting rifle or shotgun.

I have the Sonic Defenders too.  Like them.  Also have used foam plugs.  Like the Sonics or foam for rifle or shotgun.  A 35mm film capsule makes a GREAT ear plug container BTW.

As far as glasses, I googled safety glasses and went with a company that made mirrored, yellow, and clear lensed glasses in a style I liked.  Picked up a pair of each.   Yellows work great for driving when it's foggy out too.

Dont know if you people do this or not, but imagine a tube sock with the toe cut out.  Open the glasses like you are going to put them on.  Feed the ear piece into the material until it covers the lenses.  Then close the ear pieces to keep the material over the lenses.  This I found prevents the end of the ear piece from scratching the lenses.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Gorski

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
I have been using the  EP3 Sonic Defenders for over a year...LOVE THEM...they are comfortable, cut gun noise and you can still hear normal voice commands, you will not know they are there after a while..
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

Thlax

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 04:00:30 AM »
Howard leights. Love them. Amazing product for the $

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 12:31:01 AM »
I just bought 2 pair of sonic defenders ep4 ( had to get them online). I can still hear but not clearly. What I dont like is I can hear myself breath as well as that  "inside a drum feeling" like regular ear plugs. I havent shot with them yet so im not sure how thay will work. I dont like wearing the electronic muffs but I dont lke the feeling the ep4 give me either.

MarinoTactical

• www.marinotactical.com
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
I use the Remingtons also. I've had them about 3 years with a fairly substantial amount of use, so they are coming to the end of their tour. The liners coming apart and the speakers have stopped working, so it's about time to replace them. Oakley ballistics for eye protection. Can't beat em
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:56:27 PM by MarinoTactical »
Marino Tactical Training, Inc.
Certified Instructors for
National Rifle Association
Glock Certified Armorer and Professional Instructor
Utah BCI
Delaware Council on Police Training(COPT)
marinotactical@gmail.com
302-542-3755
www.trainforthefight.com