Author Topic: Hearing and Eye Protection  (Read 14680 times)

rusirius

Re: Hearing and Eye Protection
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 01:58:45 PM »
I've been using a pair of Peltor Tactical 6S for what seems like forever now... I love the things... Take 6 AAA batteries, but I've only had to change them once since I've owned them (several years) and they look just as good now as the day I first bought them.  I've worn lots of other sets of electronic ears before but nothing seems to work nearly as well as these.  Others I wear will trigger on even small noises like a finger snap or setting something down on a table, etc... I don't know why, but I find that to be weirdly disorienting.  I know that makes no sense at all, but for some reason it just bothers me.  These have ONLY ever triggered on a gunshot, so you never really even notice that the do trigger.  No long delay after the shot either, as soon as the levels are back down to safe it opens back up immediately.  I also like the fact that they are pretty slim, I don't have to walk around with a "Wide Load" sign on my back... Well, at least not because of the muffs... I think I paid $50 for them from Amazon...

As for eye protection, many years ago I bought a set of NYX Golf glasses for flying R/C heli's and planes.  They have swappable lenses for just about any condition you can imagine, including the standard "range yellow", on up to a highly mirrored dark lens.  There's like 20+ different lenses you can get.  I like 'em cause they have quite a wrap and offer a lot of protection while not looking like a complete and total moron... LOL...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 03:03:11 PM by rusirius »

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
I've always just used standard ear muffs, which reduce the noise 25 db or so.
But you all have me thinking....would my Bose noise canceling headphones work?
New Castle County

MarinoTactical

• www.marinotactical.com
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »

Short answer- yes, they will reduce noise and are better than nothing however; they arent really made for it. They're designed for eliminating low to moderate level sustained background noise like on an airplane, not loud, harsh intermittent bangs like gunfire. Also, in my opinion they are too expensive to risk ruining on the range. You can get a nice pair of electronic headphones for about $50 vs about $300 for the Bose.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:08:42 PM by MarinoTactical »
Marino Tactical Training, Inc.
Certified Instructors for
National Rifle Association
Glock Certified Armorer and Professional Instructor
Utah BCI
Delaware Council on Police Training(COPT)
marinotactical@gmail.com
302-542-3755
www.trainforthefight.com

Thlax

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
I've been using my Howard Leight Sport but also started using plugs underneath. It's helped not only with noise, but with trigger control. It has allowed me to focus better and eliminate most/all trigger jerk on the glock.

rusirius

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 12:59:57 AM »

Yeah, i suppose they would at least somewhat, but to what advantage?  These headphones are designed to cancel ALL outside noise, allowing you to hear the input being fed to them better... Electronic muffs for shooting actually in many cases do the opposite.  For example, a lot of hunters use them because a good pair will actually give you "super hearing", amplifying sounds (i.e. a deer walking through the woods a few hundred yards away, etc).  Yet even though they can amplify normal sounds like that, or the guy standing beside you chatting you up while a cease fire is called, any high volume sounds are cut off and squelched.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
New Castle County

pjd832

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »
bought the howard leight elotronic ones and they work great...but wearing them at the indoor ranges....my safety glasses fog instantly..so i just use good foam in the ear plugs...

pjd832

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »
Not familiar with this brand..but about the price of standard muffs

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Shooting-Gear/Shooting-Accessories|/pc/105591780/c/105670080/sc/105671880/Hyskore174-Stereo-Electronic-Hearing-Protection-Muffs/1087174.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbargain-cave-shooting-gear-shooting-accessories%2F_%2FN-1102688%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105671880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253Bcat105591780%253Bcat105670080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat105591780%3Bcat105670080%3Bcat105671880

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 12:06:30 PM »
I ordered a set of EP3 Sonic Defenders they seem pretty cool anyone have any expierence with them?

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders
CHECK THEM CAREFULLY!!!
I had a pair.  Cleaned them frequently after use and let them completely dry before putting them away.
Have not used them for a while, until recently.  Put them in. Still could hear range fans fairly good, so I removed them.
Well the left one anyway.  Went to remove the right one and the ear hoop came off the stem and baffle.  You can feel the stem,
it's right there.  Dont try it.  Pushed it in a little more.  Went home to get wife to get it.  No joy.  Local fire house EMS,
no forecepts. EMS, fire house, REALLY?!?  Off to MAU on Limestone Rd. $120.00 later, removed.

Did I mention check them carefully???
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »
guess I better check mine
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.