Author Topic: Ammo shortage  (Read 10066 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Ammo shortage
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
I read on another forum that ammo for hand guns was flying off the shelf. Today I was a Walmart in Milford and went to the Sporting goods Dept. and low and behold, there was very little handgun ammo available. If you use 9 mm, .40, .45, 357, etc. there is very little. I use 9 mm hollow points and there was about 5-6 boxes left. I bought 1 and another guy waiting there bought 1 , so that left only 3-4 boxes in whole store. There has evidently been a run on ammo due to the talk of the Obama/Biden crackdown, and the Mayan calendar talk too. I heard it's worse in the Dover stores.
Anybody seen any further evidence of this? Check you local outlets.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Ammo shortage
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
Between the Obama election, multiple wars, and government agencies stockpiling ammo, it's not a surprise. I see the same north of the canal. http://americanfreepress.net/?p=5788
New Castle County

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:33:35 AM »
Yess, Middletown Walmart same way...but I was at Shooters Choice.. they had good selection, also x-ring was good too.

I can see it getting bad.
New Castle County

kathy1

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »
cheaper than dirt here i come

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »
I prefer MidwayUSA, or ammoseek.com.
CTD is currently getting heat because of their decision to cave to the left and stop selling guns. They claim it is temporary. I've always preferred Midway anyway.
New Castle County

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »
  armory is another.  it might not be caving on all fronts, Insurance carriers might be beotching too.    They also changed some terms of contract I believe, Which shows their concern for their future.  If I can find what they changed, I'll post.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:23:21 PM »
I think it is easy to figure that places like Walmart will be short on ammo and long guns first as they have better prices than most retail gun shops. I can buy 9 mm hollow points there for about $5 a box cheaper than Shooter Choice. I am not able to shoot that often due to financial reasons. I can't afford to pay the rates at ranges to stand there and pump rounds thru my gun for hours on my income. I'm sure others that are retired have that same problem. I've been looking for a friend with some wooded property to shoot on, but thats not easy, as they are afraid someone will get hurt (liability)on their property.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
Target master had shelves of ammo.   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
Milford Wal-Mart is low but I have had a chance recently to be in the Seaford and Gerogetown Wal-Marts. They are good to go and actually have some higher end 9mm and .45.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

fats429

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:24 AM »
The shortage has hit 223 rem the hardest and 9mm second . the full power rifle looks good so does revolver ammo. What I think is going to happen is the next inventory cycle is going to keep supply up for the stuff that are moving fast and selling at inflated prices while bringing the inventory down on the stuff that is not moving as fast witch should bring up the demand and price. In just 2 inventory cycles all ammo should be back to 2008 prices about $35.00 a box of 20 for most common rifle, and $30 for a box of 50 for most common pistol. Wild cat pistol and rifle will only be a option for hand loaders and the filthy rich

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 02:34:46 AM »
I usually buy my 9mm from bulkammo . com and my last order in Nov I ordered 3x1000 rounds of S&B for 190.00 per 1000 plus 30something for shipping. Roughly 0.20 per round or 10.00 per box of 50. Same stuff Shooters Choice sells for 19.95 a box! Don't mind paying a bit more to help local but refuse to pay double. Glad I stocked up on 9mm when I did.

Lucked into ordering the last few 400 round .223 online that I could find and was shocked that it was sill 0.55 per round.. Remington UMC bulk boxes. Ordered and got the last they had.. Don't remember the site.. Lax something. Hadn't used them before but shipped out quickly and I received it on time. @@@@ stuff when it does pop up now is typically selling for 1.10 per round and higher.

Joe.. Looks like I was at Walmart just before you. They had a few 100 round white boxes of 9mm and some .45acp on the 18th and I bought it all while doing some Christmas shopping.. :)

I've saved all my brass and hat of others around me who didn't for the past 2 years. All the new suff I've fired was collected and placed back in the box it came in. Other stuff I've picked up I've sorted and zip locked for the time being. I have a ton of brass for when I start to reload.. Which I can see starting sooner the later at this point.

antapd

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 02:30:37 AM »
My father, a good friend and myself usually jump between freedommunitions.com and sgammo.com.  Most recently has been sgammo but it goes fast.  We just sign up for an "in stock" email" and order it when we get the email.  But last time I got an email ~150 500 rd cases were in stock, 10 minutes later they were down to just over 100.  My last order was 500 rds .40 for like $169 or something like that.  Shipping is brutal but it's so hard to find it locally and buying 1 box won't even fill all my mags.

I've all but given up on Wal-Mart and I did buy my gun at Shooters Choice but I won't go back there.  Paid a bit extra for my pistol but it was a week after Sandy Hook and it was the exact pistol I was looking for so I spent the extra to have it in hand and not have to hunt around.
NRA Member
Vol. Fire Co. Member
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club Member

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 02:51:54 AM »
I have not seen much at teh New castle wal-mart. I do know that tula is supposed to be making brass ammo that will be decently priced and I might start shooting that while I wait to reload.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:53:14 AM »
http://www.luckygunner.com/

Try here, I have had good luck and the shipping is cheap compared to others.
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
I have spoken to dept managers in a couple of Walmarts and they tell me the day ammo comes in, also goes out.
Nothing they can do other than the policy that you can't buy more than 3 boxes of ammo a day like they have now. Demand is simply exceeding supply.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative