8 (28.6%)
357 Sig
0 (0%)
38 Spc.
0 (0%)
357 Mag
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What defensive round do you prefer?  (Read 39667 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
What defensive round do you prefer?
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
I prefer 9mm Federal Hydra-shok 135 Grain low recoil. I seem to get very tight groups.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:47:53 PM by SigP250 »
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: What defensive round do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »
I've always heard that you want a big bullet at a good velocity to really do damage. That why the 556 nato round seems to get so much flak, small bullet at high velocity goes right through without causing enough immediate damage. Here's a couple more interesting links on cartridge selection.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm
http://www.thegunzone.com/strasbourg.html
In the strasbourg tests they actually shot goats to test the effect of different caliber bullets.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:19:36 PM by GunEnvy »
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »
First let me say that I am not knocking any cailber. One of my most favorite guns is my Glock 17,I sold it and bought it back.  I meant both and neither. What I should have added is that each bullet, how its loaded and the gun it's fired from form is its own animal. I've always read that you need a good balance of size and velocity to inflict fight stopping trauma. A 9mm and 380 acp pretty much are the same diameter bullet ( the 9 is .01 in larger) but the 9 is a better fight stopper due to its heavier bullet weight and higher velocity. And then comes into play the barrel length its fired from. I know with my prefered carry gun, 45auto, the 230 gr jhp is widely considered the top dog for the caliber out of a 5in bbl. But I've heard that from a 3 incher a 200 gr is better. I think you need a good balance of penetration and expansion to do the trick. As far as penetration is concerned check out, http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm you'll see that the penetration can vary greatly from one bullet maker to the next even in the same bullet size. The 124 gr gold dot penetrates 19 inches through clothed gelatin more than many of the 147 grain bullets.But I've read that what happens with some of the smaller bullets( in the same caliber) is the hollow point fills up with clothing and the bullet never really expands and that some heavier bullets will not fill up so much and thus expand better.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:28:04 PM by GunEnvy »

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »
I prefer 9mm Federal Hydra-shok 135 Grain low recoil. I seem to get very tight groups.

That's not what your boyfriend says!
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:50:49 PM »

That's not what your boyfriend says!

Come on now we all know who wears the pants in your house and its not you. Plus last time I checked your the one that sleeps in the back of the bus face down @@@ up. Coincidence I THINK NOT!!!

Now back to more intelligent conversations I read some where that most modern day 9mm hollow points expand to the size of a 50 cal slug and that's what makes modern 9mm rounds more effective.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 01:34:36 AM »
My basic feeling is that every caliber has it's strong points and weak points. I carry an officers size 1911 because I shoot it the best. I can empty a magazine into a very nice grouping in no time at all. I've always felt that recoil is as much a product of the gun as it is the round. For instance a 1911 with a high grip gives most of felt recoil straight back into your arm rather than in muzzle flip. And I mean that weather the gun is chambered in 45, 40 or 9. My G19 to me seems to have more muzzle flip and therefore I have less control on follow up shots. I've always bought into that the 45 being so big and slow ( only about 900 fps on 230 gr) has an easier time breaking through bone and thick body mass and retaining its weight than that does the smaller cartridges. But thats not to say that it doesn't happen or that the smaller rounds won't get the job done. Look at the original 10 mm, at 1500 fps it could and would injure the person behind the intended target. That's why the FBI began using a lighter loading in it. From everything i've read LE agencies and the military does not use or stopped using the 45 due to magazine capacity more than everything else. In the same size gun you can fit 15 rounds of 9 compared to 8 in 45. Also the high cap 45's have such a large grip that they can't be held by all that would be on the job. And the military is currently looking to replace the Beretta with a larger bullet, but they also use FMJ and I don't think you'll find to many proponets of that. When alls said and done if you can't put the rounds on point than it doesn't matter if your shooting a 9, 40, 45 or 50 ae.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 01:40:22 AM by GunEnvy »

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »
I prefer the 115mm round. Though I can't seem to handle the recoil very well.

Seriously, I think it is just whatever you like to shoot. I like the 9mm and I like my 40 right now. I imagine if you shoot in the right spot, they're going down either way.

I need just enough to either stop the threat or get me the hell out of there.

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:41:18 PM »
That is correct. Whatever you like to shoot, that is what you should carry. The discussion we are having has the purpose to be informative to new buyers on pros and cons of ammo we are currently carrying. You can pich in with info on what you carry and why you think it is a good carry for self-defense.

Seriously, I think it is just whatever you like to shoot. I like the 9mm and I like my 40 right now. I imagine if you shoot in the right spot, they're going down either way.

I need just enough to either stop the threat or get me the hell out of there.

I'm not that sure. There are 9mm's that have enough stopping power. I carry a .40 with hollowpoints. My friend carries a .45. To me, that's too big... to him, it's perfect. Different experts will tell you different things.
I honestly don't know. It's all about preference IMO.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »
I feel that the .45acp is the best choice. Not only for the round (a 230gr hp) will do the job of stoping an inturder. And the big plus for the firearm is its weight and recoil absorption.
 I you feel that is to much or the wife maybe can't rack the slide (mine can't). So the next best thing I feel is a .357mag. loaded with .38 rounds (158gr hp). That way she just has to point and shoot.
Gun control is hitting your target

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »
Like I tell my wife about my 642, it's like an automatic camera, just point and shoot. The 357 125 gr is a great round. Suposedly something like a 97% one shot stop! Its ashame they can't some up with something that works that well in an auto. Pretty bad odds for the little crook who would.The 357 sig from what I hear get mixed reviews as to being equal with the magnum.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:43 AM »
DSP has had great results with the 357 sig. I believe theyhave had a few one shot stops. The only down side to the 357 sig is the high cost

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
Ok as far as shot placement a 22 can stop someone and as far as no hollow point 9mm bulets they are the worst choice to use due to over penatration. Back in the 80's the NYPD had major issues with. Over penatraiton. As far as carry ammo never use 9mm ammo that is not hollow points or specialty ammo made for self defense.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:33 PM »
 Taken from shooting times "Modern ammunition being what it is, there is much to be said for the 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG cartridges. And, certainly, the .45 GAP cartridge is beginning to make a name for itself. But I'm sure glad to see the gun companies humor us old geezers by including the .45 ACP in their lineups. In reality, the .45 ACP cartridge is the standard that all other autoloading cartridges are still compared to. That is simply because the .45 ACP works very well and is always an excellent choice for the defensive shooter, soldier, or policeman." And also http://www.neiassociates.org/caliber.htm pay special attention to the last paragraph.

Also, best advice I could give to the shooter it to begin reloading. Once you get the few needed tools the only cost is the components. Lowers your cost of ammo to pennies per round and you can make your practice ammo ballistically close to your carry ammo so you get even more use to the recoil of what you depend on. I've got 800 rounds of 45 in the safe and another 400 ready to be punched out and I don't have to wait till payday to go to the range.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:19:55 PM by GunEnvy »

1858remington

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
When considering what caliber to carry, you may want to try various brands of ammo in your caliber. 

Some brands produce more muzzle flash than others, something to consider in low light situations.

All you need at night is a good flash to make you blind when trying to defend your life.

As for Caliber...  I like the 45acp Remington Golden Sabre. 

Statistics show most gun fights end after 6 shots, and are at a distance of less than 10 feet.

Your going to be in a high stress situation, adrenalin surging through your veins. 

Not like target shooting at the range, so you wont have time to slow down and take carefull aim.

Most likely you will be shooting instintivly, and you will most likely miss with most of your shots.

Cops tend to miss as much as 80% of their shots in a defence situation.

So choose a caliber that will do the most damage when it hits during the 20%.

Also, choose something that will allow you to bring sites back into alignment faster after each shot.

Recoil will slow your reaction time and keep you from getting off as many rounds as you need in the time of the incident.

Practice makes perfect.

Practice drawing from your carry rig and shooting a shot instintively, so that it becomes a natural action.

You wont have time to think, only react.  :o

Get to where you can feel (use the force luke) where the bullet is going, in case site picture is not possible. 8)

Practice shooting from the hip, you might only be able to just clear leather before needing to fire.
If you don't talk to your cat about catnip... who will?

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:30:52 PM »
Well said