8 (28.6%)
357 Sig
0 (0%)
38 Spc.
0 (0%)
357 Mag
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: What defensive round do you prefer?  (Read 39666 times)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: What defensive round do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 12:23:57 AM »
great point on the muzzle flash. people don't realize just how much flash there is when your shooting in a well lit range.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
I just got a box of Federal Tactical Bonded 124gr LE.

So did I.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

deviant.ollam

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 06:33:17 PM »
I was a solid .45 fan until i started trying to do daily carry with my 1911... all that steel and the larger frame made for a less than ideal situation, particularly on summer days when i was wearing fewer garments and moving around actively a lot more outside.

When i learned that a .40 has something on the order of 93% the same kenetic energy of a .45 (a fact i believe i picked up in Boston T. Party's Gun Bible) i almost immediately began looking at carry options in that vein.

For me it basically came down to an H&K or a Sig when i was considering a new purchase at one time.  For all the hardcore fans on both sides of the whole "H&K Compact vs Sig P238/239" debate, it's often overlooked that these are dramatically similar guns.  Appearances are deceiving, but they're almost equally thin in width (much of this has to do with the H&K having a checkerboard stack in the mag and not a full side-by-side as many people think... it really is as thin as the Sig) and weigh practically the same.  It should, as with all firearm purchases, come down to how you personally feel when shooting the weapons... and for me, my buddy's H&K was far and away more comfortable than all the Sigs i could get my hands on.

NOTE - the main key point turned out to be the side controls on the Sig.  the mag release lever is so very small and my thumb didn't get a solid feel on it at any time.  The H&K release hits right n the money for me under any conditions.  (And yes, i know that i should really work on training myself to use a gross movement during tactical reloads be slingshotting the slide as opposed to a discrete movement which can be a problem in a critical moment)

But, long story short i went with the H&K because i found one on gunbroker being sold for just $550 by a fellow near me in PA.  Came with two mags, and holsters for them as well as the pistol itself.  I simply couldn't pass up that deal.

So that's my primary carry piece now... an H&K USP Compact chambered in .40 with a spare mag in my pocket.  I keep meaning to also get a 9mm barrel and some mags for it, as a sort of "world goes to hell" backup plan since you never know what sort of ammo might be available if inventories become scarce or disrupted.

(Oh, and my current carry ammo are Winchester Ranger SXTs)

Aries

• DSF Training
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »
It's doesn't matter what you carry or what you put in it! It all comes down to shot placement  ;)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 10:44:57 PM »
Aries,

Would you stop robbing me if I stung you with a rubber band or if I ripped half your torso out?  Hmmm... I know you'll have to think about that one for a while, so I'm typing really slow (lol). 

If you shot someone with a .25 and a great group, you'd better hope your aim when you throw the gun at the perp is REALLY good.  Because you'v just managed to totally @@@@ him/her off. I think you could do more damage with a frozen pea in a straw. 

On the other hand, if you managed to shoot him/her just once, depending on what type of ammo you have loaded, you could take a nice hunk out of their hide as it goes ripping through...

There are SO many different things to consider when trying to choose a calibre over another or one gun over another.

Deviant, sounds like you got a nice buy for your H&K. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »
I prefer the 357Sig or .45ACP but I will also carry my Sig P228 in 9mm with Speer Gold Dot ammo, but I truly believe 9mm is about as small as you would want to go for personal defense.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »
I think what aries was getting at is that the largest caliber does no good if you miss. A 25 is a lousy defensive choice but if I put nine of them into the middle of your chest your gonna know it. Remember that news story from a few years ago in NYC... the cops shot at a guy something like 43 times with 9MM and he kept going! Of course they only hit him once or twice (I think).

Aries

• DSF Training
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »
Would you stop robbing me if I stung you with a rubber band or if I ripped half your torso out?  Hmmm... I know you'll have to think about that one for a while, so I'm typing really slow (lol).  

Wow! Another Keyboard Warrior, same BS just a different forum.

I think what Aries was getting at is that the largest caliber does no good if you miss

No! I meant just what my post said, didn't say anything about "shot misses"

shot placement

But what do I know.......Enjoy the BS fellows  ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:33:17 PM by Aries »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »

But what do I know.......Enjoy the BS fellows  ;D

REALLY?????????????????????

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »
I stand corrected! Please accept my deepest appoligies for misunderstanding the exact meaning behind you post.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »
It's doesn't matter what you carry or what you put in it! It all comes down to shot placement  ;)

I disagree.  I will agree that shot placement is critical but what type of round you carry is also important.  A one shot stop is rare so I will not get into the "bigger is better" argument.  Penetration is also very important.  Sufficient penetration is necessary to incapacitate.  Unless you hit the central nervous system or the brain there is a real chance the attacker can keep on coming at you for up to 14 seconds after a fatal wound has occurred. It can take that long for the loss of blood to take its toll.  With slower or lighter rounds you may not get the penetration to be effective through thick outer clothing.  Over penetration is also a factor because of the danger to bystanders.  The round needs to be matched to the gun.  Smaller guns may suffice for BUGs but not as a primary defensive weapon.  I would not carry a .25 as my primary defensive weapon. Yes, it is better than nothing but that is about all you can say about it.  The smallest I would use for my main carry gun will be either a 9mm or .38 special.  I am still on the fence about .380.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

deviant.ollam

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »
the main key point turned out to be the side controls on the Sig.  the mag release lever is so very small
bah, when reviewing this thread i just noticed a typo i made.  it's the slide release on the Sig that i'm not super happy with, particularly compared to the H&K.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »
Aries, I'm just now getting around to replying.  Unfortunately, this board is family oriented so I can't type what I'd love to say to you. However, I'm not a keyboard warrior, sport fan.  I was making a joke that clearly went over your head. 

Have a fantastic Christmas.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
Deviant, I've never found the slide release on the sig to be a problem now the mag release tends to feel a little uncomfortable
 when I use it. I do like HK's just can't get past the price for a polymer gun. Sigs used to be around $200 less then the HK about 10 years ago now there about the same.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
I still can't get used to the mag release on the HK guns. I'm sure I'd get used to it but it just really throws me.