Author Topic: Cost to start w/ a Dillion?  (Read 15048 times)

Thlax

Cost to start w/ a Dillion?
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »
Not in the near future, but within the year I would like to start reloading. I would be looking at a Dillion machine to reload 9mm and .223. What would a rough total cost for everything i need for a base/decent model from them (not fully automated) and all the little accessories?

I know I can look up prices on the site for the machines but I do not know all the little things I would need.

Anyone have a ballpark figure?

Thanks-

Bmel17

Re: Cost to start w/ a Dillion?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
In addition to the press (kit I am assuming?) you'd need to look up prices for the dies, powder, case trimmer, tumbler, separator, brass, bullets, and primers.  It gets pricey at first, but becomes quite more economical to shoot down the road.  Just a quick figure off the top of my head is 450-500 for my setup.  I have an RCBS rock chucker supreme.  HTH

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:32:08 PM »
When you are ready to buy, get your google on.  Search for Brian Enos.  Order it through him, or you could buy locally.  If you order from him there is (or at least WAS), no shipping if over a certain amount.  With buying the press and dies, you'll hit the amount.  So, that will save you some money.

Now, to answer your question on how much...  CANNOT answer that.  It DEPENDS on you and what extras ($$$) you buy.  I would recommend the strong mount, bullet tray, and the roller handle minimum.  I added to that the spare parts and the deluxe quick change kit per cal I load. I did NOT buy the low powder sensor.  Just keep an eye on it, you'll be fine and pocket the savings.  You'll need a scale too.  Recommend a DIGITAL one vs a balanced beam.  Also next time your at the range, pick up a piece of 45 brass and put it in your pocket.  The primer tube has a plastic rod which pushes down on the primers needs just a little more weight.  That 45 brass works great.  You'll need a tumbler too.  Primer flip tray.

I started with 9 and 45.  Later added 223. For 223, you'll need a trimmer.  Can be anything from a hand lathe (25.00 or so GUESSING) to something that fits on a drill (dont know the cost) to a GTC Trimmer (Giraud now $440.  $400 when I purchased mine).

I know this is easy to say when it's your money, but dont worry about it too much.  It's an investment unlike our cars, it will hold most of it's value.  It's also a one time investment you'll pass on to someone else.  The Dillon warranty is 2nd to NONE!  I bent a pin through my negligence.  Called them and told them that too and I wanted to buy a new one.  They asked my for my address and sent me one and would not take my money.

Now, were going to talk about your money.....  (love it when it's not mine...)
Got my google on and found as a base reference...  Primers 26/k, Powder (W231 - 4lbs) @ 64.90, and bullets (PLATED) 72.94/k. FMJ more expensive, lead less. Now making an ASSUMPTION of 5 grains of powder (7,000 in a pound) for that 9mm (I use 4.4 of that same powder - so I went high - DO NOT USE 5 as your recipe - DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!)  Your cost per round will be about .11 per (assuming your saving your brass)  Loaded ammo 342/k for 9mm or .342 per

OK, still with me?  Let's assume you are going to spend $1,000.00 on that press and goodies.  (Like I said, it's great when it's someone elses wallet...)  So, we have $1,000.00 + .11hl = .342fa  (hl = hand loaded & fa = factory ammo)  Your machine will be PAID for after loading your 4310th round of ammo.  INCLUDING the purchase of the supplies needed to make them - that's the .11hl above)  Your saying good GOD , 4300 rounds!!!!  Well, how much do you shoot??  50 rounds per week??  Well, that's only a year and a half or 86 weeks!!!

After it is all paid for, you'll be saving 23.2 cents per trigger pull.  Great isn't it?  Well, guess what?  You will not be saving that.  WHAT?!?  You just said I would...  True, it will cost you less per trigger pull, you'll just shoot more.  That eats up the savings.  But you'll be having fun doing it!

Hope you stayed with me through all of this.  It's a great hobby.  Any questions just ask.

Oh BTW, 223 are a PITA to load vs pistol ammo.  Not hard, just a few more steps.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:37:17 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Thlax

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
Thank you for the time and effort!!!

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
You're welcome.  Hopefully I did not scare you off your new hobby.
Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Sorry for the long post, but....
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Kimber HD

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Ya - excellent post.  I am thinking about doing the same.  I've spent hours on the 'net researching...When I got more info out of your post in 5mins - THANKS !

anjdrifter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »
Besides the long term   investment. it is really enjoyable   I went with Lyman single stage ,they have a complete kit to get you started Got mine from Grafs .. I started with the dies I used the most and they just kept adding.. I also do a lot of really odd ball reloading for antique loads.. I really save a ton of money that plus untold satisfacture... once you get into it you might consider casting your own leaf bullets  it is not expensive at all..
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:42:24 AM »

Now, only to sell all my guns to pay for the reloader....... hmm...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:44:01 AM by TwistedKarma »
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:11 AM »
I've been thinking of the Lee 4 station turret press. I like the idea of being able to use it as a single stage press for more important rounds but with the ability to crank out other ammo like 9mm and 45acp. Mostly I need to start reloading for .454 Casull due it's retail price. I also shoot .223, 357, 38spl, .45lc and have my eye on a used .44mag from a neighbor whose thinking of selling. I've been saving and collecting brass for about 2 years and have a ton of once fired casings to get me started.

Don't have much yet but have started buying things i see on sale. Bought a tumbler on sale w/free shipping and found a Lee 4-die set for .454 on sale w/free shipping as well. Picked up 3 digital calipers on sale at Princess Auto on a trip up in Canada. Drilled out some Mahogany boards for stacking plates.

I have also looked at the Lee single hand loader to at least get started. I'll be able to go through and de-prime the few 1000 casings I have and practice reloading 38spl to start.

Some great info in this thread! Thanks

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »
The addition of reloading equipment to your investments is a “capitol improvement”.  The best case scenario is that, with prudent use, the equipment can provide a “payback” at some calculated point in its useful life (As Radnor kindly pointed out).  This payback scenario is a good planning tool for when the playing field is even.

Today, the playing field slants against the investor.  A capitol improvement is now a necessity to simply keep up with supply problems. And it may get worse.  We may have to forego the payback and feel lucky to have some goods rather than none.

Asset realignment / readjustment to close the delta.  I think that’s where we are right now.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
To add comment to this since the topic came up again recently...

I have a Dillon 550B.  They have a NO B.S. warranty.  Along the bottom they have 3 brass buttons or pins.
I bent one.  MY FAULT.  Called Dillon.  Told the gent who answered the phone what I did. I stressed MY FAULT.
He asked me my name and address and what button size (numbered).  Then I was waiting for the question
of how are you going to pay for this.  Offered my CC info.  He said not needed and when we hang up it will
be in the mail.  I stressed again, my fault.  He said it's on the way.

The attachment I've included is from a copy of the June 2013 Blue press.  1st letter to them is of interest.
Here you will see (READ) the NO B.S. warranty.  I have no idea if the other companies are like this.

Now to figure out when it will pay for itself.  You need 3 items (prices).
1. TOTAL cost for the reloading equipment and all of the goodies you want to add (do NOT include price of powder, primers, or projectile here) (EC)
2. Total cost per round (powder, primer, projectile, hazmat fee - if any) (HLx)
3. Cost per round of factory ammo. (FAx)

EC + HLx = FAx

So from reply #2 we have $1,000 + .11x = .342x
Then subtract .11x from both sides.
We end up with $1,000 = .342x -.11x
Or, $1,000 = .232x
Now divide both sides by .232
$1,000/.232 = x

X will be the number of rounds you must make to break even.  REMEMBER, this INCLUDES the money needed to
buy the powder, primers, and projectiles to MAKE the rounds.  Do not include the price for brass (you should be
saving it now).

I saw were someone was looking into a single stage press.  Suggestion: DON'T DO IT.  If it's all you are willing to
invest, then go for it.  If there is ANY doubt, save for a progressive.  Otherwise, you'll eventually have 2 presses.
With a progressive, in an afternoon you can crank out 1,000 rounds.  It's a long afternoon, but it can be done.
But just for the record, I no longer have them since Joe said all I need was 2 shotgun shells. (WHY did I waste an
afternoon I dont know).  Busting your butt, you can make 100 rounds in about 13 minutes.  20 minutes / 100 is
fine with me.

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »
Radnor

Great explanation on cost.

Have you ever been a professor by any chance?

"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 01:50:43 AM »
Thanks guys, I have been thinking about reloading and you have answered  many questions.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
Radnor

Great explanation on cost.

Have you ever been a professor by any chance?

Nah, they wouldn't have me.  Write software applications, so fairly good @ math.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 12:02:48 AM »
To revive an old thread......

Was loading tonight.  Almost 400 rounds in and I ripped a 45 out of the shell plate.
It's stuck in the resizing die.  Took the die out.  Tried to get the case out of the resizing die.

NO JOY :(

Called Dillon.  Explained what happened.  They asked for my name & customer number.
Did not have cust number handy.  So asked for my zip code.  They found my acct that way.

Said a die will go out in Mondays mail with a return label. Asked I send them back my
old die.

GREAT customer service!

And I was ready to buy a new set of dies.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:04:51 AM by Radnor »