Author Topic: Is DE a Must Disclose Jurisdiction?  (Read 15591 times)

Harleyrider

Is DE a Must Disclose Jurisdiction?
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked and answered elsewhere in this forum, but I couldn't find it.  If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer for a matter not related to firearms (e.g. a traffic stop) and you are legally carrying a concealed weapon, do you have to disclose the fact that you are carrying to the officer?  Or is it in your discretion.  TIA.
Vic
"I believe that every day on earth is another chance to get it right." Steve Earle

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Is DE a Must Disclose Jurisdiction?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »
You do not have to tell the officer by law. It is a courtesy. I only tell the officer if I'm asked to get out of the car. Also choose your words carefully. Which sounds better:
1) I have a gun.
2) Officer, I have a concealed carry permit, and I am carrying.
New Castle County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
You do not have to tell the officer by law. It is a courtesy. I only tell the officer if I'm asked to get out of the car. Also choose your words carefully. Which sounds better:
1) I have a gun.

What he said.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »
1) I have a gun.

+2 This..

If you get a cop whose not into ccdw for the commoner like us he can legally detain you for up to 2 hours. Your not arrested but he has that ability. Sitting or standing there for 2 hours talking to a cop isn't my idea of fun. I had thought perhaps passing both drivers license and ccdw permit when they come to the window but was told its not a good idea. Cop could say thanks for the heads up/courtesy or legally detain you for 2 hours.. just because. You never know what the cops personal ideals are.

So if its a ticket, warning, etc take it, smile and say have a nice day when you depart.
If they ask you to step out say something like above... I have a concealed carry permit, and I am carrying.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:15 AM »
My personal choice is to hand the officer my permit with my other documents.
Then, the officer can ask if I have a firearm, and of course I will answer truthfully.

The only time I've been stopped in the last seven years, that's what I did. It worked out well.
For some reason, the police don't stop my car very often...

"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

John

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:12 AM »
I have friends who are LEO's and they don't even know if you have to disclose. I will not unless I'm asked if I have a weapon. Most important thing you need to get out of this is to respond "I have a cc permit and yes I have a weapon".  Do not! Say you have a weapon and then hope you have time to explain you have a cc permit before you are face down on the pavement.

kimmie

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
My personal choice is to hand the officer my permit with my other documents.
Then, the officer can ask if I have a firearm, and of course I will answer truthfully.

The only time I've been stopped in the last seven years, that's what I did. It worked out well.
For some reason, the police don't stop my car very often...

ROFL I have the 2013 Charger ...in black.  Unfortunately I DID get pulled over ..not because of the car ..ok because of the car, and the lead foot driving it (me  :-[)  Maybe I should get that cool light accessory like you have!   ;D   Most times if I'm in back of someone, THEY come to a crawl thinking I'm the popo!

I agree with what Lumspond said though!

Retired Navy Vet, Married w/2 kids.  Work in Salisbury MD.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
I've found I drive much more civil (5 over, no tailgating, use signals) since I got my carry license. I certainly want to minimize any chances of a dispute. Also consider what an "aggressive driving" ticket will look like on your record when you go to reapply for your CCDW.
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
I've found I drive much more civil (5 over, no tailgating, use signals) since I got my carry license.

+1

I use to be a VERY aggressive driver.  The CCDW slowed calmed me down quite a bit.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
If you want to tell a police officer you are carrying, it is your decision, not required by De. law. If you do, a better way to tell the officer, would be: officer as a courtesy to you, I want you to known I have a concealed carry permit and I am carrying, how would you like to proceed. As you say this keep both hands on your steering wheel, this puts you in a no threat position. Keep your hands there until he tells you how to proceed.

Harleyrider

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Thanks, folks, great info.
Vic
"I believe that every day on earth is another chance to get it right." Steve Earle

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
Forgot about the body language and hand position. Thanks Frank!
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
I've found I drive much more civil (5 over, no tailgating, use signals) since I got my carry license. I certainly want to minimize any chances of a dispute. Also consider what an "aggressive driving" ticket will look like on your record when you go to reapply for your CCDW.
Amen. I'm much more civilized with the CCDW.

The Bluesmobile's speed on the highway, however, may vary slightly from the recommended numbers.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »
Delaware has no law that you must disclose that you a carrying concealed. Now here's something you may not know. When a police officer checks your licsense on his in-car computer, your info shows that you have a concealed carry permit. I just found this out from a retired police officer at the DSSA meeting.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Kimber HD

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 02:52:40 AM »

Pretty sure I saw ya today.  Rt 1 Smyrna off ramp around 1130ish ?  One of the only cars like it w/o the fun toys...