Author Topic: Concealed Carry in National Parks Suspended -- NRA Files Motion To Appeal  (Read 12353 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Concealed Carry in National Parks Suspended -- NRA Files Motion To Appeal

Friday, March 20, 2009

On Thursday, March 19, a federal district court in Washington, D.C. granted anti-gun plaintiffs a preliminary injunction against implementation of the new rule allowing law-abiding citizens to defend themselves by carrying a concealed firearm in national parks and wildlife refuges.

In Thursday's ruling, Federal District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued the preliminary injunction against the Department of the Interior rule that took effect on January 9, 2009.  The revised rule allowed individuals to carry concealed firearms for self-defense in national parks and national wildlife refuges located in states that allow the carrying of concealed firearms.

Today, NRA filed a notice of appeal in Federal District Court to oppose the preliminary injunction.

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox, said, "NRA is moving aggressively to protect this common sense rule and that's why we filed this notice of appeal today.  Just as we did not give up the fight to change the old, outdated rule, we will not give up our fight in the courts to defend the rule change. We will pursue every legal avenue to defend the American people's right of self-defense."

Until further notice, individuals cannot legally carry loaded, concealed firearms for personal protection in national parks and wildlife refuges.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
can you open carry in state parks. what about carrying a long gun?
Gun control is hitting your target

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
There is new life in the effort to carry in national parks. Senator Coburn (R-OK) has introduced a bill and attached it to a popluar credit card bill trying to allow CCW in parks.

http://washingtonindependent.com/42641/senate-approves-coburn-gun-amendment

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
My understanding is that a change in the law to make this legal has been tacked onto the credit card bill that was just passed.  ;D

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
My understanding is that a change in the law to make this legal has been tacked onto the credit card bill that was just passed.  ;D
I've heard this as well. I am looking for confirmation.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/20/house.guns/index.html

It passed the House & Senate.  Now on to the Prez.  Of course this doesn't mean its going to stay this way, but we can hope!
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
I realize that measures gets tucked into bills that have nothing to do with each other.  But, here, it’s kind of funny.  In the end, we have anti-gun legislation signed by the most pro-gun president being repealed by pro-gun legislation signed by the most anti-gun president.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 12:46:58 PM by CorBon »
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Hunh?????

CorBon

• Life Member
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Yea I got a little confussed too early in the am

CorBon

• Life Member
Yea I got a little confussed too early in the am
Well, it may have been a bit cryptic.

We have a pro-gun law that was tucked into a bill for credit cards.  That just goes to show how Congress loads these things up with all kinds of non-sense.  Next, we have the pro-gun bill being signed by Obama, the most anti-gun person on the face of the Earth.  And the law that he is changing was enacted by Reagan, who was pro-gun (although his CA governorship may be somewhat questionable).  I am a bit reluctant to call Reagan pro-gun, though, but he effectively was.  He wasn’t out waving the pro-gun flag (although he was an NRA member), but I categorize him as being from a time when there wasn’t so much anti-gun stuff going on (meaning he was older than most of the anti-gun hysteria).  Ya know, guns were guns, just like toasters were toasters.  Today, a politician has to “pick a side.”  I mean, Reagan got SHOT and still didn’t try to ban guns.  But anyway, the no-guns-in-Federal-parks stuff started under Reagan – and it ends under the anti-Christ, er, I mean, Obama.